Whats a good scanner?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Whats a good scanner?

Post by Iceman »

Ok I have no clue what to look for in a scanner. Ya'll have any suggestions?

Thx, Ice out...
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Go for the highest Optical scan resolution. The Interpolation res is software based.
ouch
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ouch »

SAW here. Got three HP's Paul and all are working great. Like the software, support, reliability and quality.
Oldest is an HP 3c and it's still going strong. My favorite with a Doc feeder is the Scanjet 6250 with LAN capabilities and USB 2.0. My latest has a photo feeder to help me put 4 crates of family photos on disk, a HP Scanjet 5500c, also USB 2.0. Very nice. Hope this helps. You have mail.
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

I have an Epson scanner I got about 4 years ago and I think it does a very nice job. All of the Epson's I've seen are very quick. I don't have any of the fancy features such as a slide scanner or photo/paper feeder.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I have an HP Scanjet with an Automatic Document Feeder and I have no complaints about it. I've scanned thousands of pages for a year now and it still works great. Its managed to scan in roughly 18 GB worth of PDF files. That is literally a whole room full of files.
MD1075
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD1075 »

BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

After using and owning quite a few different scanners

I am very happy with my EPSON(SEIKO)Perfection 1660 PHOTO
(1600 x 3200 dpi 48-bit USB 2.0) Available Resolutions: 50-12800 DPI. The built in overhead lightbar for negatives and slides, for the price... is top notch.

This would be their current version of my scanner with a little upgrade
Epson Perfection 2400 PHOTO (1600 x 4800 dpi 48-bit USB 2.0)

1600 x 4800 dpi(Hardware COLOR CCD) 12800 X 12800 dpi (software) warmup time 30 seconds Image Mobitroll©
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by BUBBALOU:
<b> After using and owning quite a few different scanners

I am very happy with my EPSON(SEIKO)Perfection 1660 PHOTO
(1600 x 3200 dpi 48-bit USB 2.0) Available Resolutions: 50-12800 DPI. The built in overhead lightbar for negatives and slides, for the price... is top notch.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I concur. My mother has one of those and she absolutely loves it. She's been scanning in alot of old family photos (from WAAAY before my time) with that thing and it definitely gets the job done. Picture quality is top-notch. Image
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

scanner resolution don't mean jack sheeit!
Neither does colour bit depth. That whole "36 bit color" is a crock of **** too.

You'll be wanting a CCD device - and not the slim-line variety.

1) The most important thing in a scanner is the color "trueness" of the device, and - for me anyway - the the list continues:

2) Scanning speed.

3) Time to warm up the scanner.

4) Software.

The last, is VERY important.

My Epson Perfection 610 is a fantastic scanner, but the original software sucked something fierce: no zooming, no infinitely-variable DPI adjustment. No locked scanning sizes, no manual tweaking of exposure settings. These are all things which greatly reduce the amount of post-scanning work you need to do.

For example, the old software forced me to perform at least 5 processes in Photoshop. The new software is great, and photoshop processes required = one.

XBitlabs.com recently did a very thorough article about the different types of scanner - well worth the read.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mobius:
<b> scanner resolution don't mean jack sheeit!
</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes it does matter

the higher it is the better the scan
REDDER
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by REDDER »

BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Once again a good thread ruined~!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by BUBBALOU:
<b> Mobitroll© will turn this thread into:
" My Hardware is bigger than yours yet I dont own it, pissing contest "

Once again he has already laid the groundwork above! Image</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We need a MHBO Forum! : Mobius's Half Baked Opinions! Image
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

or just silence the MobiTroll by removing the halfass replies. of course that would include the AssCombat replies aswell Image
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by AceCombat:
or just silence the MobiTroll by removing the halfass replies. of course that would include the AssCombat replies aswell Image </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ace, at least you know you are FOS... but he has no clue!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mobius:
<b> scanner resolution don't mean jack sheeit!
Neither does colour bit depth. That whole "36 bit color" is a crock of **** too.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats where you're wrong Mobi. What's the point of having a 3CCD scanner if it can only scan pictures barely good enough to print at 4x3"? Its the combo of a good CCD and high resolution that matters the most.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Hmmmm ... NewEgg has the Epson Perfection 2400 for $135.0

That's CCD + 2400x4800 hardware resolution @ 48 bits

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 38-110-107& catalog=44&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

<b> Ace, at least you know you are FOS... but he has no clue!

</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DAMN RIGHT!! Image