So I broke down...

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

So I broke down...

Post by DCrazy »

...and installed Mozilla 1.6 on my Windows machine. I started using it on Linux (1.4 I believe), but I refused to change over on Windows because my school's intranet used to be only accessible via IE. The reason I switched over has nothing to do with web browsing, though, but email.

Up until now I'd been using Outlook for email. I finally got fed up with Outlook closing-but-not-closing (hanging around until having to forcefully quit it via Task Manager or a dialog box when I log off). I also don't need all of Outlook's extra features, just a mail program. I figured I'd give Mozilla Mail a chance, and lo and behold it's great. Image I switched my browser over to Mozilla and it's pretty damn fast. But I've got a few problems with Mozilla:

1. Why can't I set it to open new tabs instead of new windows? I love tabbed browsing, so why doesn't Mozilla let me use it all the time?

2. Why can't I click the mouse wheel button inside the browser window and move my mouse around to scroll in all 4 dimensions, like I can in IE? Regular scrolling (move mouse wheel up/down) works fine, but why not this?

3. In Mozilla Mail, is there any way to get it to check all mail accounts by default? I have my ISP email account and my GameSpy email account, but to check them for new messages manually I need to perform two mouse clicks, whereas in Outlook it takes one.

All in all it's favorable. If someone can fix the above problems for me, much would be appreciated. Image

<i>[edit]
And another thing... it's not displaying UBB [<dieubb />code] blocks correctly (it's as if the <pre> tag doesn't exist in the source). Any solutions?
[/edit]</i>
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Better solution: uninstall Mozilla monolithic and install Firebird 0.7 and Thunderbird 0.4.

Ahhhh - now that's *much* better! Image
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

Do firebird and thunderbird work as well as mozilla? What's the advantage to switching?
Gavotte
Catcher of the cliché
Catcher of the cliché

Post by Gavotte »

Firebird is awesome.. so fast.. Image
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i use firebird/thunderbird as well. never had any of the problems you asked about with them.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Get Thunderbird. I installed it in our office and the AOL newbs love it. Image

Dont forget Firebird. IMO those 2 programs are better than mozilla.
Krags
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Krags »

Unless they've changed stuff since 1.5, middle-click can be set to open a link in a new tab under Preferences -> Navigator -> Tabbed Browsing.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Gee, here's a thought. Answer DCrazy's question rather than acting like crazed televangelists.

1. Under Preferences -> Navigator -> Tabbed Browsing, you can make it so a middle mouse-click, or ctrl+click or ctrl+enter will open a link in a new tab. Also, ctrl-T makes a new tab.

2. Don't have the auto-scrolling mouse currently installed so all I can really say is that, in that past, earlier versions of Mozilla had problems with this. It could be your specific mouse. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. On Edit -> Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings -> (given account) -> Server Settings, check "Check for new messages at startup," "Check for new messages every X minutes," and "Automatically download new messages."

And DCrazy, I came across Mozilla in a similar way. After I got really concerned about the neverending stream of viruses attacking security flaws in Outlook, I wanted to switch to a different e-mail client. I tried Eudora, Pegasus, Vivian, and even The Bat. I didn't find one that adequately supported multiple e-mail accounts. Then I learned about Mozilla and, given that I was also suspicious of anything IE, thought I'd try it if only for getting a better e-mail client. Turns out it even replaced IE. Image
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Thx Sol.

1. I noticed that. I was just wondering if there was a way to get them to do it automatically. If not, too bad I guess.

2. Hmm. Oh well.

3. Got that already. I guess I just have to kick the habit of clikcing "Send/Receive" every 2 seconds Image
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

<H1> II. MOZILLA</h1>
<h4>CAPUT XXVII</h4>

14 And the Lizard spake, saying, Windows shall I support, and Macintosh, and the divers flavours of Unix; yea, even unto the latest effluvium from the Gates of Hell shall I spread my seed: this it pleaseth me to do.
15 But OS/2 shall I ignore, for in sooth nobody useth it.
16 Then was the land filled with the sound of much wailing and gnashing of teeth, for millions of people used OS/2 and knew that it was good. Yet the Lizard did harden his heart against them, and said, Nay, there is no demand for it.
17 And the Blue One did create an Explorer of the Web, yet updated it slowly, and documented it poorly, and it was filled with a plague of locusts.
18 And those that followed the Lizard became enamoured of Frames, and wrote pages which could not be read by the Lizard's brethren, for the lemmings were lazy, saying only: Verily, thy browser doth suck. Thou may'st obtain the Lizard's hence.
19 Then it came to pass that the Blue One made a pact with the Lizard, that the Lizard should work its artifice for the sake of the Ancient Sorcerer. And a reference to the Lizard's wares was placed atop the Sorcerer's desk, that he might obtain it whenever he desired.
20 But the number of the work the Lizard gave unto the Sorcerer was Two, and the Greek sigil Beta was affixed to the number, yet all the rest of the Lizard's minions were given the number Three.
21 And lo, the Lizard's work was itself filled with locusts, and verily did it consume the Sorcerer's disk space whenever it was used, and it did mightily crash his system full oft.
22 And the Lizard named several of the locusts, and regarding one the Lizard said, The <blink> tag worketh not. Whereupon the users hearing this were sore amazed, and said they one unto another, Verily, that is no bug, but a feature to be highly praised while it lasteth.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by DCrazy:
1. I noticed that. I was just wondering if there was a way to get them to do it automatically. If not, too bad I guess.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I don't understand what you mean by "automatically."
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Automatically, meaning if he clicked this link without holding any keys down or pressing different buttons it would automatically open in a new tab instead of a new browser window.

-Krom
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by DCrazy:
<b> Thx Sol.

1. I noticed that. I was just wondering if there was a way to get them to do it automatically. If not, too bad I guess.

</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tabbed Broswer Extensions, it gives you an option of a single window mode.

tho, i don't recall if it works on mozilla, it does work on firebird.
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

Tabbrowser Extensions seem to work on Mozilla as well, at least according to the home page. It does indeed allow you to customise the behaviour of your tabs quite widely, including the option to make all links that would normally open in a new window to be opened on a new tab instead.

Linky
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

One of the things I've noticed with Firebird is that it occasionally stops requested new windows from opening via links. I have to click some links twice to open them.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by SSC-Thunderbird:
One of the things I've noticed with Firebird is that it occasionally stops <b> requested new windows from opening via links. I have to click some links twice to open them.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mozilla's pop-up blocker did that too. If you click the icon that shows up on the lower-right hand of the window (assuming the GUI for Firebird is similar to Mozilla's, and that you have the pop-up blocker set to alert you when it blocks pop-ups) and add the domain to the list, it should work fine from then on.

Mobius:
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by SSC-Thunderbird:
One of the things I've noticed with Firebird is that it occasionally stops <b> requested new windows from opening via links. I have to click some links twice to open them.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was reading the Firebird forum and this appears to be a bug in the pop-up blocking code when you try to click on links that open a new window while the page is still loading. The latest trunk build of firebird has new pop-up blocking code checked in. You could always just wait for the page to load before clicking the link.

Arch
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, nice pic MD
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

It almost wouldn't be a bad idea for Mozilla to have a pop-up blocking override. For example, if I actually wanted to have a certain Javascript pop-up window appear, if I could press a button as I entered the site allow it.

The other thing I think Mozilla needs, and I mentioned this on their Bugzilla/suggestions newsgroup, is a prompt for "Close Other Tabs." Currently, Mozilla has an optional warning if you try to close the main Mozilla window while tabs are open. But, there is nothing to prevent the user from accidentally pressing "Close Other Tabs" instead of "Close Tab" on the Tabs bar. I've done that once or twice and it's a bit annoying. It's tripped me up more than the feature has helped. Image
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

I use Avant browser which is just a beefed up version of IE. It has features like window tabs, popup blocker and clear history when exit (good for stuf)
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Actually I enjoyed reading from the scripture of Mobius. Image
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Solrazor:
It almost wouldn't be a bad idea for Mozilla to have a pop-up blocking override. For example, if I actually wanted to have a certain Javascript pop-up window appear, if I could press a button as I entered the site allow it.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you add the site to the list, then it will....as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Image
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Yes, but then I have to go through the runaround of going to the preferences and adding it to the list. Image