Best web hosting

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Best web hosting

Post by Kyouryuu »

For a while, I've toyed with the idea of unifying my three main web sites under one host. Insomuch as I like th free hosting I already have, I know I can afford it myself and I don't want to mooch off of others unless I have to. I'm wondering if anyone has had really good (or bad) experiences with sub-$15/month web hosts. Here's what I'm looking for:

- About 500 megs of disk space
- About 20-30 gigs of transfer per month
- MySQL database / Perl and PHP support / CGI-BIN folder
- Host that has been around for several years
- No ads

Additionally, these would sweeten the deal:

- Domain name fee, setup fee waived
- Ability to have subdomains

Places I have investigated:
PowWeb, Netfirms, Lunarpages

I have an affinity for Netfirms at this point because I once had a free site hosted there and, other than the large and sound-laden ad banner, it performed very fast and as far as I know rarely, if ever, off-line. PowWeb seems to offer the best deal, but I've heard many complaints about downtime and poor/arrogant support. Lunarpages also seems to offer what I want, but they seem relatively new and I'm not inclined to trust them yet.

Any others?

I want a good, solid $10-$15/month web host, no fly-by-night "Web hosting for as low at 4 bucks with purple and yellow background" vendors please. Image
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Sol, you could try Lewis Media they are very good, but good comes with a price. For what you want would be about $20 a month. They are the people behind the YabbSE BB and the new Simple Machines BB. Here is a link to the Host and Hosting" Forum. There is a lot of good information there.

If your looking for something more personal email me and I'll hook you up with the guy that does my web hosting. Small, private lots of features and very fast. I belive Bonz also has a web site through him, at least he did at one time.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Ctrl+Alt+Del recommends FuitadNET (I believe that they host CAD, actually). I have yet to try it out myself.

$4.99/month with a $2.99 setup fee gives you: 3 GB HDD space, 25 GB data transfer, 100 FTP/POP3 accounts, 15 MySQL databases, 5 subdomains, PHP, Perl, an optional free SSH account, and more. http://www.fuitadnet.com/bronze_plan.php
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

How about

5 free domains (.com/.net/.org)
2000 MB web space
300 POP3 accounts
200 subdomains
30 GB/month bandwidth
25x FTP access
Dedicated SSL certificate (QuickSSL Premium)
SSH Secure Shell
3 MySQL databases
Free CGIs
and much more

More Information
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Check out http://www.annexa.net (theres also .com)

Thats who we use for www.midnightsquadron.com
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by DCrazy:
Ctrl+Alt+Del recommends FuitadNET (I believe that they host CAD, actually). I have yet to try it out myself.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That looks like a really good deal. I poked around and also saw the 8-Bit Theater and VGCats are also hosted on it. Surely, these popular comics demands bandwidth and solid uptime rates. I'll investigate this host further.

I'd say the main flaw with FuitadNET in my mind is that it doesn't come across as being particularly personable. I don't like how if you dispute a credit card charge they reserve the right to charge you more cash at their own discretion. I also can't find very many reviews on Google about it. Of course, their forums are pretty comprehensive, and it's clear that must not censor things (daily trials and tribulations with servers are public and visible).

The 1&1 site also looks promising. They claim they've existed as a company for 12 years and are the largest web site host on the Internet.