exe problem

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

If I were you, I'd use the diagnostic tools that came with your hard drive and run through the tools to make sure your drive isn't starting to give up the ghost.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

A bad hard drive would probably give I/O and other errors MD, but still a good thing to check. However the first thing I would do is scan for viruses, if no viruses are found I'd check the drives, then I'd also give his connection and modems or network cards & routers a good check.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by KtheC':
<b> Did a virus scan and it came up good. It's weird because I can
install from a cd, just not anything that I download.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

broadband or dial-up?
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

You scanned for viruses, how about spyware? Download AdAware and Spybot, use them both to see if you have any pesky software.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

---> Bad network card...
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

if the files already exist and they dont install now, have you tried updated your MSI. <-- just a hunch

MSI = MicroSoft Installer

i had this very same problem once, and instead of giving me a "Corrupt File" it gave me a "Your MSI Files need to be updated" well at the time i didnt have a connection, but the instant i got one i did that and the problem went away instantly.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

Only .MSI files would do that. K is having problems executing .EXE files.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Just a shot in the dark, but have you tried changing ribbon cables?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Don't ya just hate that? You *could* low level format the drive, however I wouldn't trust it for anything valuable. I'd go for a new drive pronto.

Theres a WD 160GB drive (7200RPM, 8MB cache) for $59.99 at Office Max ($50 instant rebate, $50 mail-in rebate from WD, $20 mail-in rebate from OM). Good for this week only so you better get it while you can.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by SSC-Thunderbird:
Only .MSI files would do that. K is having problems executing .EXE files.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ive run across a few incidents where EXE's are linked to MSI based executables