This fking bullroar!

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

This fking bullroar!

Post by Sage »

My computer hath died yet again! Some of you may remember my previous whining posts about my computer dieing, it has happened again. 3 of my power supplies have died on me! (This is the third) I ordered another PSU off of the internet, it's a DAM good thing they only cost $10 or else I'd be broke... Oh wait. I am anyways! So why would my power supplies die? They work for like a month, then they die and I have to buy another one. Maybe it's a bad outlet? I think I had it plugged into a power bar. Maybe not enough power is going to the PSU? I mean, I do have my Moniter, Speakers, Scanner and other but I was guessing this was normal.

So basicly: What would cause a Power Supply to die over and again? 3 of them have died.
THANKS!
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

It may be because you are buying $10 powersupplies. In contrast, my PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 425 powersupply was $125. It has a 5 year warranty and its built like a tank.

Another possible cause is poor house wiring. You may want to consider a line conditioner. A nice UPS would act as a battery backup and also clean up the power a bit. Consider buying one, it will save you powersupplies and money.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Umm, could be that a PSU that costs only $10 is be a total piece of sh1t.

Get a Fortron 400.

Edit! Damn Arch, ya beat me to the punch.

Oh and yeah sage, if you're not going through a UPS, do that. Clean power.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

You should not skimp on the PSU. You don't want insufficient power driving your oh-so-expensive components do you? It's like buying a sports car and putting low octane gas in it, or something.

But yea, buy either PCP&C, Sparkle/Fortron, Antec, or perhaps Enermax, in that order. You don't need a whole lot of power (my dualies are only on 430, and that sucks up a boatload of power), you just need something with very solid voltages.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Aggreed, a $10 supply is just asking to get your PC fried. Get at least 350 watts and a reliable brand name.

-Krom
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Sage, you ever hear of the old saying "If its too good to be true, it probably is!"? This SO applies to this thread. You got what you paid for Sage. You got a cheap ass power supply, and it blew up in your face. I'm not going to dick around here. Your computer is something you don't skimp out on. Buy name brand quality parts, or save up until you can. Otherwise, you are a fool and are ASKING for something to happen.

Fortron 350W

This is the power supply I have and I absolutely love it. Its only $42, but it has free shipping. Image ($54 for the 400W model with $6 to ship.)
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

A $10 PSU?

Do you do a wh*re with a 25 cent gas-station-restroom-vending-machine condom too? Image

(Ok, that was bad, really bad)

In either scenario, youre just asking to get f*cked.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

I do a seminar twice a semester for a local college - about building PCs and integrating systems. The first thing I do is try to establish the hierarchy of components. It's seldom that anyone says PSU in the first 5 items. However, one thing is completely clear: PSU is the most important component in the PC. Everything runs from the PSU

Remember this for the future:

"The joy of cheap prices fades much faster than the bitterness of low quality."

Never buy anything until you need it - and then buy the absolute best you can afford.
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Never thought of that lol. Okay I'll get a good one. Now if only I can cancel my order...
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Ohohohohoh...
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 006&depa=1

[EDIT]
I'n thinking of getting a new mouse too, the one I have currently is a 3-button ball mouse with a wheel, a piece of ****. My brother gots an optical mouse and it's SWEET.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Sage:
<b> [EDIT]
I'n thinking of getting a new mouse too, the one I have currently is a 3-button ball mouse with a wheel, a piece of ****. My brother gots an optical mouse and it's SWEET.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Logitech cordless MX700. Image (has a rechargable base so you don't have to go through batteries)
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Dam. Cordless mouse, that would be sweet.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Bleh. MX300 all the way. Only $20 or so at Newegg now, too.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

http://www.gyration.com/default.asp

Best dang cordless mouse I've tried to date.
The gyro mousing action is awsome.

The mini keyboard sux and blows at Descent although I have'nt tried the full sized board yet.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

dont get the rechargeable mouse, youll just give it a memory and it will eventually be useless
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by ccb056:
dont get the rechargeable mouse, youll just give it a memory and it will eventually be useless</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm...yeah if its a NiCad battery. IIRC, it uses a Lithium Ion battery. Even so, you can replace the damn things.