XP SP2 news

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

XP SP2 news

Post by Grendel »

1st hotfix:

"Programs that connect to IP addresses that are in the loopback address range may not work as you expect in Windows XP Service Pack 2"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... %5d;884020

Updated:

"Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

I'm scratching my head wondering why a program would need to connect to a loopback other than 127.0.0.1. What's the difference between the addresses in the 127 block anyhow?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Becuase 127.0.0.0/8 is defined as the loopback range, so technically any address in 127.*.*.* is a loopback address.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

SSC-Thunderbird wrote:I'm scratching my head wondering why a program would need to connect to a loopback other than 127.0.0.1. What's the difference between the addresses in the 127 block anyhow?
well its also like the 169 range its never really used, onley time iv seen it used is when the nic cant get an ip it def to it
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Actually, there are tons of reserved IP addresses that are probably being wasted.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Simple solution ... disable Windows Firewall, buy ZoneAlarm Pro ...
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Warlock wrote:well its also like the 169 range its never really used, onley time iv seen it used is when the nic cant get an ip it def to it
Which is exactly the purpose of the 169.254.x.x range, IP autoconfiguration. This is useful, and configurable (on Windows anyway) if you want your computers to still be able to get a usable IP address in case your DHCP server goes down. Most of the time though, for the average home user, its a good indicator that your NIC isn't plugged in or your router is hosed up.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

even better: buy a firewall appliance.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

I can hardly wait untill all the Office bugs come out.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

More news from the wicked:

Application Compatibility Testing and Mitigation Guide for Windows XP Service Pack 2

"This guidance discusses the security technologies, an application testing process, incompatibility symptoms, mitigation techniques, and deployment scenarios. It makes no assumption about the size or complexity of the network, and is as relevant to peer-to-peer environments as it is to Active Directory environments."

95 pages tho..