12 volt to 120 volt power inverters?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I need to put an inverter on my work truck primarily to power an air compressor, small mig welder and other 120 volt power tools. I figure 2000 watts will cover my usage.

The problem is modified sine wave versus pure sine wave...do I really need pure sine wave to protect the types of tools I'm using?

Any of you guys have any experience with this stuff?
The cost between the two types of inverters in the 2000 watt range is outrageous.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

More expensive than a small truck-mounted generator?
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

What price range are you looking at?

Northern Tools has some decently priced.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Testi, I was hoping to not have to deal with the noise, size and fuel of a generator, I have a 5000 watt generator but it's way too big to hide in the tool boxes and obviously not as convienent as just flipping a switch.

here's where I've found some good info and reasonable prices.
here's the one I want (pure sine wave) but it's around twice as much as a similar wattage modified sine unit here

I guess what I'm wondering is, will I shorten the life of my electric tools by using one of the modified sine units. From what I've read the cheapo square wave are notorious for burning up motors etc. I'd like to keep the cost under $300 and get continuous power of at least 1800 watts.

I guess it's a case of you get what you pay for, save $200 on the inverter and start replacing tools more often...or bite the bullet and buy the better inverter and wear out the tools at the slower, normal rate.
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Matrix »

Will Robinson wrote:Testi, I was hoping to not have to deal with the noise, size and fuel of a generator, I have a 5000 watt generator but it's way too big to hide in the tool boxes and obviously not as convienent as just flipping a switch.
You do know that you will have to run the truck while using the inverting under that kind of load right?
An air compressor/welder will kill your batt in no time
So you'll still have the noise and fuel from that to deal with
Honest Bob
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Honest Bob »

Yeah I think a square wave would burn motors out more quickly. How much quickly I dont know...
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Oh yea, gotta have the engine running for that kind of wattage, I have a 500watt in my work van and I can drain the battery fast.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Well I guess that idea may have to go away then.
Thanks for the wake up call.
rijruna
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by rijruna »

Will, from my experience as a boilermaker/welder you would have to get more power from the inverter than is possible to run the MIG, Iv run from genny welder sets [lincoln] [& 5000w small petrol] & even at 5000w its a struggle to get good welds. the full sine-wave inverter is the one you need to save the tools, but you will still lose them after a while. genny power/inverter power is inferiour than mains when it comes to that by a county mile. if it were me, i`d try & find an altenator with a 90A out-put to run the biggest/best invertor u can get, otherwise you will find welds that arent 'hot' enuf. get yourself a box to sit the genny in, get a better muffler for the thing & cut down the noise that way.
anyways just my thoughts, having been there myself.
cheers
rij