Setting up a home network on Comcast cable.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Setting up a home network on Comcast cable.

Post by Mr. Perfect »

My parents just switch their provider from Verizon to Comcast, and I'm not quite sure how to get the ol' router to sign into Comcast. Verizon simply had a username and password, and that's all the router needed. Comcast, however, doesn't seem to have a login included with the information packet(not saying there wasn't one origonaly, but I'm not finding one).

When I run IPconfig with the /all command on the machine Comcast hooked up to the modem(got free profesional install), I get two adapters. Adapter 0 is a "PPP Adaptor", which I'm taking to be the modem, and Adaptor 1 is the machine's NIC.

How do I go about setting up the router to login? Do I copy the data from one of the adptors into the router, try to find the hidden login, or do you have to buy more IPs from Comcast in order to setup a network?
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

Most cable networks do not require a login. Just plug the router into the cable modem, and configure it to use DHCP.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Do a reset on the router, then make sure your cable modem is working, then plug the modem into the router and then your PC's into the router. Router should automatically get the info.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

I don't have comcast and don't pretend I know what it is they use for the client config if any. But I seem to remember them making the client change the PC name to some long alpah-numeric name. That would have to be enterered into the router.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

my parents have Comcast.

a Microsoft 802.11B Wireless Router

and 2 PC's and 2 Laptops all running smoothly.

this is the basic set of steps to get it all running

1 Hardware reset the modem
2 let it POST
3 allow it to Sync to the line and signal
4 let it accquire a IP
5 plug in router, let it POST
6 hook up router to modem
7 make sure its setup for DHCP
8 configure all computers for automatic DHCP
9 plug in PC's/Laptops
10 surf web
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Excelent! I reset everything, used the name Comcast assigned to the origonal PC and all is well. Thanks guys.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Around here (ABQ,NM) you have to clone your PC's MAC address (the PC on which they originally installed the connection) onto your router before they'll assign it an IP address.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Excelent! I reset everything, used the name Comcast assigned to the origonal PC and all is well. Thanks guys.
So i was right about that?
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I beleive so. I didn't change any router settings except to make the login name the freaky line they named the PC they hooked up.

I didn't even have to spoof the MAC, though we'll see if they diconnect me later. ;)
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

it was a hunch. I set up this guys cable here several years ago back before Comcast got here. It was Viacom then. That's what we had to do to his router too.

Anwyay, glad you got it all working.
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

I did the same thing with moving to a router. It worked for awhile without reassigning the MAC address, but shortly after disconnects became commonplace. I called up support and the techie gave me a URL which resets the MAC setup automagically. I don't have it anymore, but if you talk to the right support guy, they may just give it to you, etc. Have fun. :)
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

It reset which MAC? The one the modem used? If so, I could just have the router spoof the MAC they're expecting and get the same result.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

I have comcast, and I don't have to have a specific computer name.

I have 2 laptops and a PC wired together to used my BB connect.

All the puters are connected to the router then the router to my modem, then modem to outside line.
As far as I know, no configuration was necessary.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

The only thing that is required by Comcast on setup is to register the Cable Modem's MAC address. After that anything that is on the WAN side of the modem is your business