Issues with D3 Mercenary

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Samuel Dravis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Issues with D3 Mercenary

Post by Samuel Dravis »

I'm trying to run Mercenary on Win2K. I can play the Retribution campaign perfectly fine, but for some reason Mercenary doesn't want to go. When I select "New Game" and hit the "Descent 3: Mercenary" campaign, it gives me a "Unable to load level file merc1.d3l" after showing the intro video. I installed Merc to my "Descent3" folder, and it looks like everything is where it's supposed to be, so I have no idea what's causing this...
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

It works fine on my computer
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Hmmm...first of all, do you have D3 patched to 1.4? If you haven't, do that before anything else. Your install of Merc might have been corrupted; try uninstalling D3 and reinstalling everything from scratch. If you don't want to lose your pilot files/savegames, back up anything with a .plt extension in the main D3 directory, as well as the files in the "savegame" folder, before uninstalling. Also, if you have any ship logos/audio taunts saved, back up your custom\graphics and custom\sounds directories as well.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

If you installed Mercenary on top of 1.4, you will need to delete D3, reinstall it, install Merc, and THEN patch to 1.4.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Install D3
Run D3 once
Install D3 Merc
Run D3 Merc
Patch to 1.4
Play game.
Samuel Dravis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Samuel Dravis »

Thanks for the replies everyone - I got it working. It seems I had to reinstall everything in order. I had originally done D3, 1.4 patch, then Merc. I finished up the first 2 levels in short order. Thanks again!
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Ya, merc is 1.3 I believe.
By going 1.4, then merc you reverted some files, so Merc go boom. :)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Actually, you could've just re-run the 1.4 patch after you installed merc over D3 1.4. It'll see the 1.3 files just fine and update them. (I know because I've done it before.)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I have done the same Installed Merc(1.3) over a 1.4 install.. worked like a charm