nic speed?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

nic speed?

Post by kurupt »

i just installed a fresh copy of xp pro on a friends computer, and was setting it up so he could lan with his brother. i went to network connections, status, and the speed says 10.0mbps. i heard that a little skippiness could be caused by that, and i should set it to 100.0mbps. only problem is, i forget how to do it.

i'm using an abit-is7 and the onboard lan card. its a 3com gigabit card and i know its capable of running 100 because mine does and i have damn near an identical setup.

can anyone help?
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

What do you have it plugged into? The nic card will automaticly adjust to whatever you hook it to. If its a 10/100/1000 nic, and you plug it into a 10/100 switch, it'll drop back to 100, likewise, if you're just running a 10base device, it'll drop back to 10.

10base won't cause you any skippiness, thats 10 megabits/sec, which is way faster than any internet connection you're gonna have. What might cause you skippy at that speed is excessive packet loss due to a bad Hub. If you are using a Hub, throw that pos away and get a switch, say goodbye to packet collisions...
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

just to answer Kur's question.

its located here:

Control Panel> Network Settings> LAN> Properties> Advanced> Link Speed/Duplex Mode

SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

If you set it to a speed it can't use (ie, 100Mbps on a 10Mbit hub/switch), the device won't connect at all. Best leave it at Auto, it will pick the highest capable speed on its own.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

yeah, but doesnt it only show modes that the device is capable of?
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

It shows modes that the NIC is capable of, but it can't figure out if the device on the other side has those capabilities or not. I've got experience on this one, set a NIC to 100Mbit when it was only connected to a 10Mbit hub ;). The disconnected icon came up real quick :P.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Auto is best unless you know the speed of the hub/switch/router you are connecting to.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Cheap or damaged LAN cables can cause it to run 10 Mbit. Also, check and make sure whatever he is plugging in to can handle 100 Mbit. ;)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

SSC-Thunderbird wrote:It shows modes that the NIC is capable of, but it can't figure out if the device on the other side has those capabilities or not. I've got experience on this one, set a NIC to 100Mbit when it was only connected to a 10Mbit hub ;). The disconnected icon came up real quick :P.
okay, thanx for the correction