M$ Sidewinder 3D Pro on USB

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

bugmenot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by bugmenot »

I can't reach Grendels Site anymore, i was hoping to find the updated version of his zip.

Grendel, what happened?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I don't know :( It's hosted on Koolbears server -- KB, are you listening ?

Edit: http://koolbear.com says \"Account suspended\" :(
ImageImage
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

KB is looking into the matter. ;)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

It's back ! Thx KB.

Not updated yet, almost there tho.. ;)
ImageImage
ahjinle
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by ahjinle »

Hi Grendel,
Great job!

I'm new here, from china.
I'm trying to build one by myself to let my FFB working again.The last improved version, it using ATting461 seems easy to build. and I'm planning to program that chip by myself.So I want a copy of the Hex image(I just build one for myself, and going to use the 16MHz Crystal).

Thanks a lot!
ahjinle

[Mod edit] Obfuscated the email address. Will send the image later today.
KSeb
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

FF Sidewinder

Post by KSeb »

Is the Force-Feedback part of the FFP supposed to work with this latest prototype? I've built one and my SWP and FFP joystick & buttons work fine but the FF never turns on/Activates so it never centers the JS.

Any ideas?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Grendel wrote:Just to clear this -- the converter in the current state does not support force feedback effects for the FFP and probably never will. Here's why:

Most gameports back in the day were located on a sound card sharing some pins with the cards MIDI interface. M$ added pin 12 to the FFP (MIDI TxD) and uses MIDI channel 6 to issue FF commands. It's too much work trying to reverse engineer the commands, add a MIDI interface to the 3DP-Vert (that's probably not possible anyway, since the MCU is pretty busy bit-banging the USB port) and modify its USB code to have a fully featured FF device. A limp stick is all you will get, sorry (I think. I never tried to plug power in..) Personally I prefer this -- I'm already busy with the game, I don't need to fight with the stick as well ;)
ImageImage
crazy328
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by crazy328 »

eh, i have an old school FFP and it has a power cable and one that hooks up the the comp.. when only the power is plugged in, i grab the stick and it centers right away.. dunno if you have that kind of stick, but if it has separate power, it should at least center
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I released the rev2 project archive. You can find it here, look for the link \"Project archive 2008-06-22\" near the bottom of the page.
ImageImage
bugmenot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by bugmenot »

It took slightly longer than expected, but thanks for the effort. Grendel, you are THE man!
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Are the Zeners reversed in REV_2?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Not sure I understand the question -- they are the same way as in rev1, (+) side to ground. The ring on a diode marks the (-) side.
ImageImage
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

My mistake. I realized after my post nothing had changed in the USB section. Looking on the internet I was lead to believe the cathode was positive and that threw me.
blackadder1000
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by blackadder1000 »

Can I still use the parallel port AVRISP to program the Rev 2 board (ATTiny 461)?

If so I will use PonyProg since AVR Studio doesn't support STK200/300 programmers. What fuse settings should I use in PonyProg?

Cheers
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

blackadder1000 wrote:Can I still use the parallel port AVRISP to program the Rev 2 board (ATTiny 461)?
Yes. Make sure you use the latest version for tiny461 support.
blackadder1000 wrote:If so I will use PonyProg since AVR Studio doesn't support STK200/300 programmers. What fuse settings should I use in PonyProg?
These should work:

flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Here's a couple of pics showing how I soldered the Dsub to the board.

Bottom
crazy328
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by crazy328 »

so, is there any word on maybe making a do it yourself guide for those who want to do it themselves and purchase a pre-programmed chip? i'm more than willing to do this project myself, just dont know how to flash the chip, and i dont think i have the proper tools to do so either
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Not more is needed than the pictures provided. Just think of it as a paint by numbers project. I had already built 2 before I decided I needed to know how a gameport works :)
As far as the chip is concerned, I can flash one of those and send it back to you on your dime :P. When you've got the board built just send me the chip.
zapp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zapp »

Anyone have a mirror of the files? the links to grendel.koolbear.com are forbidden....
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I have some of it. Let me email KB 1st tho.
ImageImage
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Page is back online.
ImageImage
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Made an \"official\" schematic:

aditya_g8
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Can we use a IBM 76H1571

Post by aditya_g8 »

Is it possible using the same circuit to use this joystick plz help if not!
* 2-axis joystick
* Throttle
* 4 direction POV hat
* 6 buttons
Drakoz
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakoz »

No, that's a standard PC joystick. Any commercially available Game port to USB converter will work for that stick. Read through the early part of this thread and you'll find a few links to the kind of converter you need.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Whatdoyouknow, IBM made a joystick :) Drakoz is right, the 3DP-Vert is designed to be used w/ certain MS SideWinder sticks. That IBM one is either CH or Thrustmaster compatible, a regular Joystick to USB adapter should do the trick.
ImageImage
vadim70
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

The Question to Grendel!

Post by vadim70 »

The Question to Grendel!
I use your device in current floor year. Did 3DP-Vert rev 2. itself. All work fine, for that you many thanks! I use Microsoft force feedback Pro and Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro.
There is possibility? disconnect in this device, axis Z and U. I it is necessary only X and Y.
Not necessary me axis, do the hindrances, on X and Y. Appears the flutter and not necessary responses. As this possible do in device by means firmware or schemes.
If I not even use twist and gas in play then on X and Y axis go the unnecessary hindrances.
I it is necessary only X and Y axis in ideal quality of the response. Help the advice, Please!
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re: The Question to Grendel!

Post by Grendel »

All the converter does is to read the joystick and pass the values on to USB, it doesn't change any of them. In theory you could modify the converter software to pass only the values you are interested in, you would have to change the report descriptor and report format. It will not change the accuracy of the values tho, you will get exactly the same X/Y values regardless if you pass on the other values or not. So I would advise to leave it as-is, just don't use the Rz/Slider values.
ImageImage
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

ImageImage
Sorkin
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Sorkin »

I know it's been 9 months since the last post here, but if folks are still checking this, I'm interested in one of these if the cost isn't too extraordinary. After reading some of these posts, it looks like this is probably well beyond my ability to make myself. I have a soldering iron I use to build model airplanes, and I buy my computers in parts and put them together, but I've never messed with circuit boards at all.

I just upgraded to win7 64bit and my sidewinder precision pro 1.0 (3d pro plus) will obviously no longer work. I currently use an audigy 2 ZS for my gameport, and one of these gameport to usb converters would rock. If anyone knows anyone who's selling these, I'd love an email at rob -dot- hunsinger -at- comcast -dot- net.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Take a look at this thread, the latest revision of the converter is very easy to copy.

I took the liberty to obfuscate your email address so ad-crawlers wont have it too easy.
ImageImage