Easiest BB software to set up (that is free)

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Easiest BB software to set up (that is free)

Post by STRESSTEST »

I am in need of a free BB software that I can set up on a windows server 2k4 platform with ease. Oh yea, it has to be free.

Traffic will be less then what is seen here.

Ideas? Links?

TIA
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

For anything decent, you'll need MySQL (other DBMSs may work, but the de facto standard among free software is MySQL) and PHP installed. Neither is particularly hard to install on Windows but it's a hell of a lot clunkier than on a *nix.

Now, with that out of the way phpBB is relatively easy to set up and administer. There's also Simple Machines which seems alright from a user perspective but I have no experience with setting it up/administering it.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

PHPBB

there's even Flash Tutorials
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

another vote for PhpBB.

it's amazingly simple to administer, miodify and tweak.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

x3 phpBB, I have used it myself many times now.
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

Snitz is a good forum for asp based windows uses. It can use access for the db and is easy to install. Beleive it or not the access db works fine at a site I help to maintain with about 54 individual forums and around 95 members. I have found that compacting the db a few times a year is helpful, however. I use all php forums on my sites but snitz has an active topice feature that I just love. It gives you a choice of how active you topics should be, for instance the typical active since your last logon. It also adds active topic in the last 15, 30, 45 minutes and 1, 2, 6, 12 hours, and since yesterday, 2days, week, 2 weeks, month, last 2months.

Plain jane version here
http://forum.snitz.com/
You would have to add avatars as a mod this version is so plain.

If you want more options go to the server hacker site and download a fully modded version here.
http://www.shnforum.com/forum/sitenews.asp

Otherwise you can add the mods to it yourself
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

phpBB or Simple Machines would work for you. If I remember right SM's admin is a little more intuitive, but it's been a while and they've probably changed it since then.

Just set up a test enviornment and try them out, if you don't have time to do that error on the side of a proven product and use phpBB :)
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

I'm running a heavily modded snitz on my racism discussion site. It has an access database for a backend, but it can also use mysql, and sql

http://www.racismonline.com
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

works good Thrawn, interesting discussion board as well.

There are two items I currently don't like about snitz
1- written with tons of depracated code, full of warnings and errors. sometimes uncooperative with "Firefox"
2- no port to php or php version.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

phpBB
ComputerBB<-My Forum
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

So I finally get around to putting this together and am getting a "No input file specified" in my browser when I try to use the install.php link.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing that?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Never had that error myself, I am assuming you have all the minimum requirements, a database phpBB can use and a webserver able to process PHP?
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

2k3 server, PHP, MySQL all running
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

2k3 server... check the www.phpbb.com forums for tutorials on how to run phpBB off IIS, might be some help.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

meh, what a pain in the ass.

So I have the install page up, set the perameters and bam. "The PHP configuration on your server doesn't support the database type that you chose"

So now it's a PHP issue.. The PHP.ini is configured and I'm at a standstill about what could be causing this.

The setup option is set to MySQL 4.x, though I did try 3.x. No joy
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Turns out that phpBB doesnt like 5.x MySQL which is what was on there, now there is 4.4.

So now I get the install pamel, but now I get this and I enter all the info and click install:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user 'stresstest'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\DecisiveBB\db\mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\DecisiveBB\db\mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\DecisiveBB\db\mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Use myphpadmin to set the users and passwords, I use it.

Granted I'm running phpBBs on Apache2/Windows XP Pro.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I feel your pain Stress, We've had nothing but problems since our SQL and PHP versions got upgraded on our server, evidently alot changed in the last few versions - a real pain in the butt. Its not just phpbb - invisionboard didn't like the new sql either.
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

It's open source, you learn to accept and deal with boneheaded ★■◆● like this after a while.
Red Barchetta
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red Barchetta »

Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Phorum is also cute for a small "flat board" type forum.

I've come to really dislike phpBB because it's so commonly used and rife with security hazards. If you get a phpBB, make sure you keep on top of the security patches and updates. Way too many script kiddies going around exploiting this stuff.