Huge internet slowdown

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

BULLGOD
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Huge internet slowdown

Post by BULLGOD »

Over the past couple of weeks ive noticed that mine and my moms donwload speed has been slowing down considerably (to the point now that my upload is faster than my down speed).Im on 1.5 verizon dsl and according to the few speed tests that ive taken ive getting a max of 400kb/s. I tried uninstalling that xp hotfix that caused alot of problems with networks that Xciter posted a while ago but that did not work.

Any help would be helpfull.
TIA
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Cycle the power on your DSL, and if it keeps running slow, call Verizon and complain.
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

When you say 1.5 do you mean 1.5 Mbps downstream? If so then 400 KB/s is faster then 1.5 Mbps. 1.5 Mbps should equate to 192 KB/s if I'm not mistaken.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Also check for spyware. reboot you modem. (unplug it for a few seconds).
Run a virus sweep.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

SkyNet wrote:When you say 1.5 do you mean 1.5 Mbps downstream? If so then 400 KB/s is faster then 1.5 Mbps. 1.5 Mbps should equate to 192 KB/s if I'm not mistaken.
He said 400kbps, not KB/sec. Note the lower-case B. There is a HUGE difference between the two.
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

MD-2389 wrote:He said 400kbps, not KB/sec. Note the lower-case B. There is a HUGE difference between the two.
Do you happen to have a link to a website describing this? The only difference that I'm aware of would be:

KB/S = Kilobits per second
KB/s = Kilobytes per second

I'm not aware of kb/s being any different then KB/s or Kb/s.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

While annoyingly stubble, the way most people tell the difference is upper or lower case B. So KB/sec = kilobytes, Kb/s = kilobits. It also helps to know that he was refering to speed tests on DSLreports which list your line speed in kilobits, so he was obviously talking about 400 kilobits/sec = 50 kilobytes/sec.
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

I need to find me a chart on all internet speed acronyms used. Although since you say DSL reports only shows kbps then I guess it's a moot point worrying about it further.

Anyway, good luck to the orginal poster.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Skynet: In most networking books, bits and bytes are differentialized by the case of the letter b. B for bytes, b for bits. Most people get confused by this because they don't know the difference between bits and bytes, and complain to their ISP why they don't get 56000 bytes per second from their dial-up connection, etc. Then you have people that mis-type the character, throwing a monkey-wrench into the works. ;)

8 bits = 1 Byte (ignoring start/stop bits)