Must be an insane setup at the blizzard hosting facility

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Must be an insane setup at the blizzard hosting facility

Post by STRESSTEST »

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.ph ... ertypeid=1

This is the server I play on. 16 THOUSAND+ charactors on this server alone and it's not considered to be one of the high population servers in the list of the MANY available.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Blizzard is the #1 game company to work for or buy games from.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

No surprise -- they are sitting on a cash cow right now..
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

wow, 2:1 Alliance to Horde.
Instig8
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Instig8 »

i wonder what kind of bandwidth and system they need for this?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'd guess a T3 minimum.

EDIT: How bout a OC192? Why stop at 48 right?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

T3? What are you, kidding? They've probably at least one OC-48 pipe for each regional server. After all, they did expect WoW to sell better than it did, and they also run StarCraft and Diablo on Battle.net.
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Matrix »

CDN_Merlin wrote:I'd guess a T3 minimum.

And I host all of the Microsoft servers on my cable modem =)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

A T3 hits its limit at about 5 MB/sec each way; now let's say each player on that server uses a measly 1k/sec, that's 16 MB/sec. Definitely NOT a T3 in action there. :P
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I'm guessing they skimp on bandwidth as much as possible, due to the (relatively) high latency, but yeah, they still need a fat pipe...
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

DCrazy wrote:T3? What are you, kidding? They've probably at least one OC-48 pipe for each regional server.

keywords = AT LEAST
Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

WarAdvocat wrote:I'm guessing they skimp on bandwidth as much as possible, due to the (relatively) high latency, but yeah, they still need a fat pipe...
high latency, your kidding right ? try playing the game before typing bs.
and ace a t3 aint ★■◆●, their is NO way they would even think about running a server on that
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Bonz wrote:
WarAdvocat wrote:I'm guessing they skimp on bandwidth as much as possible, due to the (relatively) high latency, but yeah, they still need a fat pipe...
Bonz - Speaking of "typing bs", Thanks for your post...

Please allow me to explain the basis of personal experience upon which I rest my statement, to further edify and amuse you. I will address your two points out of order, if I may:

I play a Level 56 Orc Warrior (/played 16 d, 12 h) on the PVP realm Deathwing, and I have a Tauren Shaman and an Undead Mage on the way up as well. Additionally, I have several characters of varying levels on several other servers, from Gorefiend to Stormreaver to Killrog, among others. Therefore, I believe it is safe to say that I have tried "playing the game".

Regarding Latency: My realm, Deathwing, is one of the "Mountain" servers, as designated by Blizzard. Therefore we can infer that this server is physically located either in, or somewhere in between the states of Montana to the North and Arizona/New Mexico to the South. I would expect a ping in the neighborhood of 100 +/- 30 MS to this area. Given that I consistently experience pings of 250 ms (+/- 30 ms), I would label Deathwing as "(relatively) high latency". Furthermore, I have characters on several servers, and the pings all seem to be higher than one would anticipate given the stated location of the server.

Incidentally, I've noticed that in all of the mmorpg games that I've played, I seem to encounter higher pings than I would expect given the physical locations of the servers. Admittedly, this is anecdotal evidence and personal opinion, as much as anything, but given that my statement was clearly hypothetical to begin with, I feel no further discussion is necessary.

Good day sir.
NWRhino
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NWRhino »

I don't play, but my friends tell me the ping is pretty high on average.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Bonz wrote:
and ace a t3 aint ****, their is NO way they would even think about running a server on that
i know a T3 aint squat..... i said AT LEAST a OC-48...
AceCombat wrote:
DCrazy wrote:T3? What are you, kidding? They've probably at least one OC-48 pipe for each regional server.
Keywords = AT LEAST
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Matrix »

I think he ment to say Merlin.

But everyone blames everything on u, so it probably just rolled out on him :P
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

These machines, typically, don't have an "Internet Connection" per se. They'll just be sitting in an ISPs data warehouse, plugged into the backbone via 100Mb Ethernet, or Gigabit Eth.

Certainly, our servers in New York, New Jersey and LA are just that: hooked straight into the Backbone on Gigabit Eth.

What's more impressive is how many connections the box can simultaneously handle: it must be one motherfathering system!