WinFixer spyware/adware removal help?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

WinFixer spyware/adware removal help?

Post by JMEaT »

My GFs laptop got the lovely WinFixer adware and I worked on it for a good hour and made no progress. Does anyone here have any advice or experience removing this?

Thanks!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I take it you already tried adaware and spybot?

If you did, try the trend micro housecall free online virus/spyware scan, might work.

Hijack this might help too.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I've heard that the Microsoft anti-spyware beta is actually surprisingly effective; I only had it installed for a short time, but it appeared to be pretty powerful. It's worth a shot, at least.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I wouldn't trust MS Anti-spyware at all. Damn thing lets anything through if you pay MS enough. It already ignores GAIM (Gator) by default. I really suggest you nuke all your system restore points (by turning it off temporarily), run Hijack This! (available on spywareinfo.com) and then scan with Adaware & Spybot. When your system is clean, re-enable system restore if you like. (Just FYI, nasty stuff like GAIM will infect your system restore points.)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

MD-2389 wrote:I wouldn't trust MS Anti-spyware at all. Damn thing lets anything through if you pay MS enough. It already ignores GAIM (Gator) by default. I really suggest you nuke all your system restore points (by turning it off temporarily), run Hijack This! (available on spywareinfo.com) and then scan with Adaware & Spybot. When your system is clean, re-enable system restore if you like. (Just FYI, nasty stuff like GAIM will infect your system restore points.)

x2!!

MS Spyware, missed sooo many things. and like MD says, simply ignores a ton of things. use Adaware and Spybot.

i did find out a interesting note:

if you uninstall Spybot 1.3 before installing spybot 1.4, 1.4 will not keep the 1.3 database. just install 1.4 overtop of the 1.3 installation.
Honest Bob
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Honest Bob »

Suprisingly spy sweeper works very well. I beleive I had a customers pc that had winfixer on it. What I normally do is install the spy sweeper trial reboot into safe mode and run spy sweeper. Its a bit of a resource hog so I usually uninstall it after I'm finished.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

MD-2389 wrote:I wouldn't trust MS Anti-spyware at all. Damn thing lets anything through if you pay MS enough. It already ignores GAIM (Gator) by default. ...
My copy of Windows ME installs Alexa. o_0 ...wth??

X2 to Krom. Great stand-bys and free. (yea, I know that the MS stuff is free to)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Alexia is part of IE dude. It comes pre-bundled with it ever since v4.0 if I recall correctly.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Alexia is a nasty piece of spyware.

I've seen it shut down network connections due to the amount of data it was pumping out. We had router logs to confirm it. :
Comes up in Ad-Aware and Spybot also.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i always kill alexia when i run spybot and Ad-aware.
Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Asrale »

Alexa is not adware. Despite what anyone else tells you, it is not malicious, and like already said, is included with any fresh MS installation of Internet Explorer.

Also, Spy Sweeper kills the WinFixer adware, the trial version on the Web site should work.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Asrale .. did you read what I posted?

It shut a connnection down. It DOS'd me.