Another good hardware co. PWND

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Another good hardware co. PWND

Post by Nosferatu »

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2005/1 ... ys_maxtor/

Oh goody.

A hard drive co. whos bearings have a reputation of lasting five years or even more, gets bought by one who uses bearings so slipshot that people are lucky if they get six months out of them.

Im currently using a Maxtor thats on its sixth year and I still havent heard a peep out of it.

While I have had that one Maxtor, I have gone through eight different Seagates, and not even in the same computer.

"Beam me up Scotty. There is no intelligent life down here."
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Well, it just goes along with the old adage:

If it ain't broke, sell it to someone who can break it.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re: Another good hardware co. PWND

Post by fliptw »

Nosferatu wrote:A hard drive co. whos bearings have a reputation of lasting five years or even more, gets bought by one who uses bearings so slipshot that people are lucky if they get six months out of them.
Based on what?
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

i have had much better experiences with seagate than maxtor... yet im a western digital kinda guy. :P
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

fyrephlie wrote:i have had much better experiences with seagate than maxtor... yet im a western digital kinda guy. :P
x2 EXACTLY. Nowadays, WD > Seagate > Maxtor.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

If I was in the market for a new hard drive (and I couldnt wait to find one for cheap after rebates :P), the 5 year warranty on the Seagates would be a pretty strong selling point.

*knocks on wood* The only hard drive I've ever had die on me was a Maxtor 30gb model. It failed once during the warranty period, then its replacement (same model) died 2 years later.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Never had a hard drive made by Seagate fail. Owned about a dozen of 'em, and sold maybe 100.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Mobius wrote:Never had a hard drive made by Seagate fail. Owned about a dozen of 'em, and sold maybe 100.
same. i have a Seagate 160GB thats 3 years old and still showing 100% Healthy on SMART.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Pffft. I got you all beat. I went Hitachi. ;) The 7T250 Sata2 is the best bang for your buck.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I have two hitachi 7k400 drives. :P
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

had a hitachi drive that one day went crazy and spun itself to death about 2 months after i got it. returned it and went western digital. :)

although hitachi normally makes good stuff...
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I've personally owned WD, Maxtor, Quantum (prior to Maxtor buying them out), Samsung, and IBM (prior to Hitachi buying out their hard drive line). Out of all of these drives, the only brands I've ever had problems with were Western Digital and IBM. Out of five WD drives, only one is still in working condition. The four that failed all died from head crashes. All "Caviar" models too. (10.2GB, 2x 6.4GB, and 3.2GB models) The IBM drive suffered a similar fate (75GXP), but that was a widely known issue, which was resolved with a refirbed drive with an updated firmware. That drive is still running strong today with perfect health. I don't abuse my computer's internal hardware at all. These drives "suffered" through some light gaming at the most. (Light gaming being the occasional game of Descent.)

Both my parents are proud owners of 40GB Maxtor drives, and I personally run a 160GB Maxtor as my primary drive. I've yet to actually personally experience any problems with Maxtor products. I've built quite a few machines, and installed Maxtor hard drives in them. I have YET to get a single phone call complaining about a dead hard drive.

That being said, its been a few years, so WD may have gotten their ★■◆● in one sock. If they have, good for them. However, I will never personally own any of their products again.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Back when 1GB drives were the rage I owned a WD that couldn't go 30 seconds without a read/write error. All WD drives were awful back then. They did, indeed, "get their ★■◆● in one sock" and are now, IMO, the most reliable HDD manufacturer.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i had an IBM deathstar die on me 9 months after i bought it. went WD and have never tried another brand since. have 2, been rock solid.

i did have a quantum drive die on me, but it was at least 10 years old so i didnt really expect it to work :P
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Dude, I've got a 120MB (yes, you read that right. 120 megabyte) Quantum downstairs thats running like the day it was first fired up. I used to have one as well. Unfortunately, it got fried when a DEER power supply blew up on me. The power lead to the drive had half the insulation melted off. :P Needless to say, that drive got a good jolt. ;)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

hahahaha.... where is that DEER topic?!?!
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Over the years, I've seen lot of Western Digital drives go belly up while still under warranty. I've seen a time when most of the Seagate drives we got at one time were total crap and we were getting warranty on them seemingly right and left. At another time, I've seen a few compatability issues with Maxtor and a few that have died under warranty.

I've come to one simple conclusion:

Always check for the experience that others have had with that model and ALWAYS have a backup (NEVER trust ANY hardware).

Better safe than sorry.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Every Maxtor I've ever owned has been loud-@$$, like in the terribly shrilling sort of way. My Seagates are perfectly quiet, just the way I like it.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I would second that the Seagates I have are really, really quiet. When I bought a Maxtor to supplement it, I was amazed at how rattly it sounded. I don't like that sound.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

This 80gb maxtor I got recently came with the fluid bearings. Aside from a click that you actually have to get right beside the drive to hear, it's dead silent.

I actually have to watch the HDD led flash on and off to remind myself it's actually working and not my imagination.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

AceCombat wrote:hahahaha.... where is that DEER topic?!?!
Probably somewhere on archive.org.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams