Need recommendation for nVidia graphics card

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thwart
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Need recommendation for nVidia graphics card

Post by thwart »

I would like a recommendation for an AGP nVidia 3D graphics card to fit an old computer. I would prefer a new card if they can still be purchased. The documentation does not mention what speed the AGP slot is so I assume it is 1x. This computer is running Linux so I will need to check if nVidia has a driver for it.

SE440BX-2 Intel Motherboard
400Mhz processor

AGP interface:
Complies with the AGP specification
Support for +3.3 V AGP-66/133 devices
Synchronous coupling to the host-bus frequency

Thanks in advance,
Thwart
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Immortal Lobster »

Any reason it has to be nvidia?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Sounds like a Geforce 3 or Geforce 4 would be the best option, finding one new would be next to impossible tho.
thwart
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by thwart »

Immortal Lobster wrote:Any reason it has to be nvidia?
Just because at the moment they seem to have better Linux drivers.
thwart
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by thwart »

How about this one?

Clicky

A lot of the \"nVidia\" cards only contain the chip from nVidia and the rest of the card is made by someone else. Is that a problem usually?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

thwart wrote:How about this one?

Clicky

A lot of the "nVidia" cards only contain the chip from nVidia and the rest of the card is made by someone else. Is that a problem usually?
Actually that doesn't happen anymore as far as I know. I read somewhere that nvidia now makes ALL the boards since the geforce series, and the only thing the OEMs can do is change or tweak the cooling on the card.
thwart
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by thwart »

Thanks,

That was easy and there is a Linux driver available. I will order the card.
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Foxconn (Leadtek) and Flextronics are the card producers, and the distributors are allowed to alter cooling and cooler art, as well as service type offered.

and thumbs up on a GF3, great cards, faster thanthe 4s, I still got mine. =)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re: Need recommendation for nVidia graphics card

Post by MD-2389 »

thwart wrote:The documentation does not mention what speed the AGP slot is so I assume it is 1x.

heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by heftig »

A 400MHz processor? That's horribly limiting. A Geforce 3 would be a waste, IMO. I also believe it's 1.5v, so it won't fit in a 3.3v slot.

I'd get a Geforce 2 MX. Cheap, and more than enough power for that setup.
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Actually, I bought my GF3 for a K6-2 400mhz system, I found it was actually well balanced.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Immortal Lobster wrote:Actually, I bought my GF3 for a K6-2 400mhz system, I found it was actually well balanced.
Dude, that thing is going to be seriously limited by the processor. I would definitely recommend not going any higher than a classic geforce, if you can find them. At the MOST a geforce 2 gts. He would not see any benefit from a faster card with that processor.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

thwart wrote: Support for +3.3 V AGP-66/133 devices

that is a AGP2x slot, 133MHz is the 2x frequency
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

MD-2389 wrote:
Immortal Lobster wrote:Actually, I bought my GF3 for a K6-2 400mhz system, I found it was actually well balanced.
Dude, that thing is going to be seriously limited by the processor. I would definitely recommend not going any higher than a classic geforce, if you can find them. At the MOST a geforce 2 gts. He would not see any benefit from a faster card with that processor.
GF2 Id balance with a 200mhz system, maybe up to 300. 300mhz to 500mhz the GF3 ti200, 500 to 700mhz GF3 ti500
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

I had my old Geforce 3 running in a Pentium III/700 MHz (i440BX) system, it worked quite well.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

AceCombat wrote:

Which could be either v1.0 or v2.0. Multiplier tells us nothing Ace. My old Diamond Viper V550 is a 2x AGP card, but it only works in v1.0 slots.
thwart
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by thwart »

heftig wrote:A 400MHz processor? That's horribly limiting. A Geforce 3 would be a waste, IMO. I also believe it's 1.5v, so it won't fit in a 3.3v slot.
This is what I was afraid of. Judging by the picture MD-2389 posted, it looks like #1. How can I tell which cards will work? The "tech" specs on Amazon leave something to be desired and nVidia's site isn't much help either.
heftig wrote:I'd get a Geforce 2 MX. Cheap, and more than enough power for that setup.
I looked at the Geforce2 cards and most say AGP 4x? Are they backwards compatible?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

they are.
thwart
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by thwart »

I found a web site that goes into all the gory details about AGP capatibility if anyone is interested.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

check the user manual from the actual manufacturer. it should contain the necessary info (agp factor and version).
that's a good link btw.
suicide eddie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by suicide eddie »

have a look around for some of the old hercules cards they run their on-broad routines/shaders a little bit different at that time than nvidia to ease the cpu load.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

MD-2389 wrote:
AceCombat wrote:

Which could be either v1.0 or v2.0. Multiplier tells us nothing Ace. My old Diamond Viper V550 is a 2x AGP card, but it only works in v1.0 slots.

ahhhh, didnt know that.. TY
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by heftig »

thwart wrote:I looked at the Geforce2 cards and most say AGP 4x? Are they backwards compatible?
Geforce 2 MXes should have 2 gaps in their connector. That means they are universal (both 1.5V and 3.3V).
thwart
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by thwart »

Well the card came today and I tried it. Unfortunately it doesn't work. The computer beeps 3 times and won't boot. One thing I noticed is the card itself says nothing about nVidia. Shouldn't there be something on the card with their name?
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by heftig »

The manual for the motherboard should contain the explanations for the beep series.

If you take the fan off the GPU you should be able to see \"NVIDIA\" written on the chip. But I suggest you don't do that lest you break it.
thwart
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by thwart »

heftig wrote:The manual for the motherboard should contain the explanations for the beep series.
From the manual:

The BIOS also issues a beep code (one long tone followed by two short tones) during POST if the video configuration fails (no card installed or faulty) or if an external ROM module does not properly checksum to zero.

I am ordering a geforce2 card from another place while I fight over the warranty on this one :roll: