Where the hell is everybody, gawdammit?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Where the hell is everybody, gawdammit?

Post by Codger »

Can somebody tell me why d3 has taken such a huge dump? I mean this is the best damn 1st person shooter I've ever seen. I see lots of servers on the cx tracker but pilots are scarce has hens teeth. You can't tell me that there's one of those damn ground pounder games that can compare to this game, despite it's age. If there is lemme know about it. What's the deal? Is it because of the lag and loss? Somedays I can't seem to hit jack ★■◆●. Other days I'm blastin' ass. Will somebody tell me what happened to the glory days? Come on there aint nothin' out there that compares, I think...
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

I don't know either--I've been working a lot with not much time for games, but when I get some spare time I usually have a round of D3. I've noticed a distinct dropoff in the amount of D3 pilots buzzing around. :( Hopefully core decision will release an awesome game soon; I think descent is on its death spiral.
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

oh oh .. ! I just got my ADSL hook up again since moving. It's been a month since I've even looked for games on the D3 .cx tracker. I'll be there tonight though ! I'll look for you Codger !

And then it means it's time for us Die Hard D3 fans to don our pilots uniforms and take our case of spare D3 disks down to the mall, stand at the door ways opening them for people chanting:

"HAre Hare ! D3 D3 !.. Six degrees of Freedom ! 6DF !Hare Hare !"... as we hand out free copies of the D3 CD's...

Maybe at the subway stations too, and at the main bus loops
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

I got sick of skybox and stadium and no one joins when I enter a server with a level that took actual talent to build.

So I don't really play much anymore.
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

when pxo died we lost a lot of ppl, and the d3tl was a reason most ppl played d3 but thats dying now too.
Looks like this game is done.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I still jump into a game when I get the chance, especially if it's VV CTF. :) There are 25 or so people playing at this very moment; I wouldn't call that dead, at least not yet.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

I still catch a fun game here and there.
Once in awhile I'll even play in a D3TL match.

Trying to find a non VV/Hally/SD game is getting pretty slim though and playing the same level day after day does get boring.

It seems a lot of the SQN guys are migrating towards Call of Duty, I'm thinking I might just join em there.

I doubt I will ever uninstall Descent, but more than likely I'll be seen less and less as the end comes closer.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

As much as I love D3, breaking sticks every 2 months sucks. That and when PXO died, just not the same.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

I still love playing although as everyone knows there just isn't a variety of levels being played anymore. Sadly, I also feel the end is near.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

If people would actually play new levels, (not the same 4 or 5 over and over and over again) I would be fighting all the time! But as it stands, the ONLY halfway decent level that is often played is veins. Ok, it was fun the first 1,000,000,000 times, but it does get old after a while. These days, the only way I get to play other levels with somebody is if I set it up in advance.

Also, I was working on a couple levels, but it seems like nobody will ever play them if I take the time to finish them. So they take up space on my hard drive because I don't have the heart to delete them.
iten
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by iten »

I'll play any level that doesn't have the checksum bug.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

The last time I played D3 was over a year ago with Redcat. After that I have not played the game at all since then.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

CDN_Merlin wrote:As much as I love D3, breaking sticks every 2 months sucks. That and when PXO died, just not the same.
I still have a 3D Pro that I've used for at least 6 years and still doesn't have any problems; I'd really like to know how people go through these things so fast. :P

Hattrick, Call of Duty? That game heaves even more than Halo. :P
Inari
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Inari »

Catch me in chat sometime, maybe we can get a game or two. :)

Yeah, I'd also like to know how you people go through joysticks so fast. Admittedly, I'm on keyboard and I've darn near busted it from how much I use it.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I clamp my stick down. I play hard. Sticks are made cheap these days so I either break the trigger or the hat.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

iten wrote:I'll play any level that doesn't have the checksum bug.
What's that?
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

CDN_Merlin wrote:I clamp my stick down. I play hard. Sticks are made cheap these days so I either break the trigger or the hat.
I go through sticks like a hot knife through butter. I use the Cyborg Gold and that swivel hat thingy constantly breaks. The trigger is unbreakable. The Saitek Rumble is real solid but the trigger breaks after about a month. If it's under a year with either its a free replacement. I musta shipped 6 of these back in two years.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Liquid Fire wrote:I got sick of skybox and stadium and no one joins when I enter a server with a level that took actual talent to build.
Yeah, I get sick of those two levels too. There are some great levels out there and folks set up servers but they're rarely played. Can't figure that one out. Reminds me of Minerva in D2. Played that one to death and then one day I turned around and d2 was dead. D3 was the culprit. Can't figure out tho what killed d3. I checked out DOD but, like I said, just can't get into the ground pounder thing. Besides, having watched "Private Ryan" kinda killed it for me playing WWII games. Shooting people, even make believe people, just isn't as fun as shooting down pyros.

Yeah, I tried Doom and Duke and Quake. Remember when that was all the rage. About the time d2 was doing the death spiral. But still, running around listening to thump, thump, thump aint like the freedom of a pyro.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Hattrick wrote: I doubt I will ever uninstall Descent, but more than likely I'll be seen less and less as the end comes closer.
I remember seeing you a lot when SQN had servers. Not so much now, unless you work under a different name. Yeah, it's sad but I think that you're right. I wonder if something can ever replace d3. IMHO RPGs are boring . Same with Flight Sims and groundpounders. What the hell am I gonna do for fun. Beat the wife and kids? Hell, that dog won't hunt because I aint got no kids and the wife is meaner 'en a snake. :lol:
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

CDN_Merlin wrote:I clamp my stick down. I play hard. Sticks are made cheap these days so I either break the trigger or the hat.
Man, That is exactly my biggest problem too.
I also clamp my sticks down and I also go through triggers and Hat switches like water!

Gotta love circuit city's "city advantage" plan.
2 years of free replacements(two year warranty).

so far I have 5 returns and replacements on my reciept. by the end of the two years I oughtta have the longest reciept in store history!
--------------------------------

Codger, I rarely fly as [SQN]Hattrick_V anymore. I fly under the alias "The Easter Weasel".
----------------------------------------------
Top, well since CoD is a GP It has to suck :P , But I seriously doubt it can suck more than Gaylo did. :wink:
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Clamping sticks down? I suppose that could do it, but you'd still have to be using a pretty heavy hand. I just place my stick on a Physics textbook on my lap, and I haven't had any problems; my Saitek Cyborg Evo's still good after 8 months, and as I mentioned above, my 3DPro's been going for several years. I think it's more of a mental thing than anything else. Just keep telling yourself: "Shoving the stick sideways as hard as I can will not make the ship turn any faster." :P

Hattrick, yeah, the GP designation does infer the suckiness, doesn't it? :P
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

I usually jam my sticks around pretty good; I fly with the stick in my lap too. My Cyborg Evo is still good after about a year, though the hat's starting to die on me.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I don't clamp my stick down... I have some fabric wrapped around the stick base, and I close the fabric in the desk drawer. It keeps the stick from going anywhere, but it's not as firm as a clamp, so it keeps me from damaging the stick.

I'm on my third 3d pro in 7 years. One of them quit turning right, and another had the hat "down" switch go bad. I expect my cache of 3-4 sticks will last me forever...
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Havent played in...maybe like 9 months?
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

I've never, in all my years of gaming, broken a single component of a joystick.

My secret?

I don't slam the thing hard enough to break a two inch steel tube.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Beowulf wrote:Havent played in...maybe like 9 months?
Like...why the HELL not? :? Lose interest, better game, too busy? What??
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Liquid Fire wrote:I've never, in all my years of gaming, broken a single component of a joystick.

My secret?

I don't slam the thing hard enough to break a two inch steel tube.
What the hell kinda stick you usin' boy? If you playin' this game right sumpin goin' to break. :o :shock: :roll: If you aint broke nuthin yet than I wanna play yuh, one on one. I need to feel good. :D
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I'll tell you what happened to the glory days. A lot of the better players moved on, and what was left didn't dignify the talent of the remaining.

I play a first-person shooter called Chaser (the multiplayer demo, currently), when I'm not pursuing application programming and web design. ;)
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

codger, there's no need to make multiple posts in a row like that. Please consolidate your thoughts into a single post in the future. Have a nice day! :)
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

forum nazi for teh win!!1!
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I have broken about 20 sticks in 2 yrs. Future Shop (owned by Best Buy) has the smae 2 yr return plan. It's been about 3 yrs now and everytime I exchange the stick, it's a brand new 2 yr return plan. But it gets boring.

So now, I basically only play D3 at lan's.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I'm on my 4th 3D pro in 8 years. The other 3 still "work", I just haven't gotten around to fixing the hat switches on them. There are far better games then D3 out there though.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

punisher wrote:codger, there's no need to make multiple posts in a row like that. Please consolidate your thoughts into a single post in the future. Have a nice day! :)
Is that better? Like to keep the mods happy, by golly.:wink: :wink: Although I coulda played a game of d3 time I figured out how to cut 'n paste all this crap.:lol:
WarAdvocat wrote:forum nazi for teh win!!1!
Lol
Tyranny wrote: There are far better games then D3 out there though.
Could you name a few?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

UT 2004
GTR Racing
IL2 Stumovik
Flatout
Half Life 2
BF 1942
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

CDN_Merlin wrote:UT 2004
GTR Racing
IL2 Stumovik
Flatout
Half Life 2
BF 1942
I don't see a single game on that list that's worth the powder to blow it up. :P
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

CDN_Merlin wrote:UT 2004
GTR Racing
IL2 Stumovik
Flatout
Half Life 2
BF 1942
Thanks. I'll check 'em out although I'm kinda hooked on d3.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

topgun, I guess you still like Pong right? There is a great game all the ones I mentioned. It all depends on what you like. Notice I didn't put Doom 3?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

CDN_Merlin wrote:topgun, I guess you still like Pong right? There is a great game all the ones I mentioned. It all depends on what you like. Notice I didn't put Doom 3?
Of course I like Pong. :P To tell you the truth, the only PC games I play on a regular basis are Descent and Freespace. That's it. I don't foresee that changing any time soon, either. I despise the entire groundpounder genre, and I wish that the gaming industry would get a clue and stop putting out these cloned-to-death FPS excuses.