D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The credits stuff is a little more complicated.
  1. The background below the credits is saved.
  2. The credits are written to an extra bitmap.
  3. That bitmap is blitted to the screen.
  4. The saved background image is blitted to the screen.
  5. Then, the offset for the credits is incremented.
  6. Proceed with 2. until a key is pressed
So there's three spots where the screen offset based on screen size has to be taken into account. I forgot one. :P

This is all fixed now, highscore list displays properly as well, and I have added a simple movie playback function cycling through all available game movies.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Cool.

And yes, direct D1x 1.43-style TCP/IP games would be nice as well. I would guess you could get most of it from a quick look at that code...

Edit: If it's intelligible. ;) I have heard many things about the coding style of the Descent X programmers, most of them not good.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I have two different source code archives, one of which probably does not contain UDP/IP code.

I have been working on UDP/IP comm today, but not gotten far. Somehow I cannot bind a socket to an IP address.

Most of what I've seen in D2X coding style wise made my hair raise. Bloody amateurs who think they're cool because they can tinker around in some OpenGL code.

The menu function is several 1000 lines. The guy who has coded this must have never heard of functions, or function arguments, or reusable code.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel wrote:The next thing I'd really love to implement is playing via direkt UDP/IP connection (i.e. the servers makes his IP address known to all clients who enter it in their multiplayer screen and thus can connect directly to the server over the inet w/o the help of KALI).
Well I hope you'll be able to implement that into D2x! That would be great! Be cool to setup a dedicated server to play on! :wink:
Good luck and I hope you can make that work.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Aus: D2 doesn't work via client/server architecture, but peer-to-peer.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

2dx-w32 v1.0.9
http://img148.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img148& ... ore7dx.jpg
Need I say more?
Plus I have a nVidia FX5950 ultra 256MB card. Latest drivers (66.93) and the screen shots aren't working right for me. http://img219.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img219& ... 0000de.jpg Though I really don't care. Just letting you know is all.
Cheers
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Endscore screen will be fixed asap. There can be more things like that, I don't know all screens D2X can produce by heart.

Looks like the newest hardware doesn't support glReadPixels(), or I'd need to set some additional OpenGL parameters before calling it I don't know ...

Aus,

I am not going to implement dedicated servers. I am only trying to implement direct IP communication. One player will still be the server (game host).
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Guess I shouldn't have used the word "dedicated". lol
All i ment was that on one PC I can start a game (non Kali) and from another join it. Plus give out IP for others to join. EDIT: *thinking to self.. whats the point in doing that?* Thats all I ment. Sorry Ferno and Diedel. :lol:
Just makes me think back when D3 first came and you could do the P2P IP games and my Brother-n-law was playing a lan game with friends. I knew his IP so I joined the game from my house. He was surprised when I showed up in the game! :lol:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The point of this is that you don't need KALI to play D2 online games. ;)

And then I just want to implement this, find out how to make this work.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel wrote:The point of this is that you don't need KALI to play D2 online games. ;)

And then I just want to implement this, find out how to make this work.
Well implement the UDP/P2P IP deal, and I'll welcome it with open arms! :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I can't get it to work. Everything seems to be set up correctly, but a packet sniffer doesn't show any UDP data being sent by d2x-w32. :(
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel.
Bug of some kind. D2x-w32 v1.10:
Tryed to go through an illusion/door and you can't now.
Test it urself and see if this happens to you?
Thanks. :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Fixed. I thought I should introduce my very own personal bug in d2x-w32. :oops: :D
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

hehe no worries....
Thanks Diedel! :P
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel,
Just wanted to let you know that when config the mouse (axis) movement. Only F/B will set. No L/R.
:?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Works for me.
Lehm
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Lehm »

I get this bug also.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel wrote:Works for me.
What mouse do you use?
Mine is the Logitech Mx 700 cordless Optical Mouse and keyboard (Logitech® Cordless MX� Duo).
Just wondering if it has something to do with the optics or what? Either way. I've tryed over and over. Still won't set L/R.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Logitech MX 310 (800 dpi).
zapp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zapp »

Something I've noticed in the last few versions, the fusion cannon shots are almost transparent, and frequently are not even visible against a light texture background.
Also, do you have any listing of all the new d2x.ini file parameters and what they do? like "-minturnrate X" what is the number range and what does it do?
Thanks for all the fixes so far, 1.0.13 is playing nice!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I have just fixed a little bug in v1.0.13 regarding dual joystick support and config.

zapp, you need to reget that version, at least if you are playing with dual sticks.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Hummmm... I got v1.0.13 and the mouse movement is still not setting right. :( I still only get F/B to set. Can you please look into this? I have no idea why this is.... Lehm is having same prob. So I'm not the only one.
Just so you know. I have no other joysticks pluged in when trying to set mouse axis.
Thanks
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I don't have this problem, so I cannot look into it. I just tried it again. I only need to move the mouse fast enough (not very fast, just not slo-mo).
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel.
I'm geussing that you don't play D2x in FULL screen do ya? If not try and set mouse axis in FULL screen mode. I play in FULL screen mode and when I unchecked FULL screen and set it to 800x600. I was able to set mouse axis F/B and L/R then. It seems to be only a prob when in FULL screen mode. So try that please and see if you get same prob in FULL screen mode.
Thanks
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

One thing that I liked about D1x was the ability to assign certain weapons to certain joystick keys. IE: lasers could be assigned to button 5, Vulcan could be assigned to button 6, etc.

would it be too much trouble to implement this?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Aus,

ok, got it now. Will be fixed ASAP.

Ferno,

that would require a little more effort. I will look into it, but it will take some time.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

With the SW P2, you can do that already by mapping buttons... but I suppose what you have doesn't have that sort of software...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Mouse config bug fixed.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Yes I got it and its fixed.
Thank you! :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Ferno,

the only think I could probably do was to bind a weapon toggle to a joystick key (like pressing a certain button will change the current weapon to lasers), but not have the weapon immediately fired - that would be a cheat.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Diedel wrote:Ferno,

the only think I could probably do was to bind a weapon toggle to a joystick key (like pressing a certain button will change the current weapon to lasers)

that's what i was thinking.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Ugh... redrawing bug is still present in some form. (1024x768 resolution if it helps any.)

Start up a level - any level, it doesn't matter. Then exit, and hit the 'New Game' option again. Scroll the list with the arrow keys, and things will become very difficult to see.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

This happens if the background is redrawn over the menu text/dialog, and I just don't know when/why this happens.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Midi support in newest build picks title song when disabled and re-enabled in game, instead of the level's MIDI file. (At least it does for custom MIDIs...)

In addition, I have a suspicion D2x doesn't handle object bitmaps properly.
sir-qwerty
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

another sound complaint

Post by sir-qwerty »

Hi there, I was very very suprised about development of D2X-win32 in the year of 2005 - just AMAZING!
There is one great BUT - I'm standing in the queue with those who have problems with crackling and shattered sounds. I've tried many D2X builds and the sound is quite smooth in them (even when using same SDL library as d2x-win32 uses!).
HW: GeForce Ti4200 (this bug was reported also by someone with Radeon), Soundblaster Live 1024 (maybe??), chipset VIA KT266A. All drivers most recent (and working well in all game titles).
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Try adding "-sound11k" or "-sound22k" (without quotes) in your D2x.ini. It can be found in the D2 directory. Only try them in one at a time, having both in the .ini file might cause conflicts.

See if that clears up the crackling. Make sure you have the latest D2x-w32 (v1.1.11) with the SDL provided in that. If you already have an existing D2x.ini file in your D2 dir do not overwrite it with the one provided in the zip file.
sir-qwerty
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sir-qwerty »

Tyranny: thanks for hints.
a) i have already fiddled with samplerate before - crackling is not cleaned up - it can be just somewhat "covered" in overall low-quality 11k but it's still there.
b) I'm always doing clean "unzip" to my old DOS D2 not to have anything mixed..
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Sirius,

can you get more specific about "object bitmap rendering faults"?

Tyr,

though it acts the same from the outside, a midi device is technically different from a redbook audio device (even if the device is just a piece of software).

I got the code from icculus.org and didn't write it myself, but I've understood it good enough. I have played around with that code for hours yesterday and queried the availability of midi device volume control on my computer (Audigy 2, not the worst sound hardware I'd say), and there wasn't volume control.

You can however always turn midi sound completely off and on in the sound menu when chosing the lowest volume or a higher one.

I really cannot tell why sound is so bad on certain systems. I have never experienced problems. There is some slight static during sound playback (esp. explosions), but it is only noticeable when I pay attention to it. As far as I can tell I am using the same sound code the "official" d2x project does (arch\sdl\digi.c), so I am clueless about what's going on (wrong) here. I will pursue this matter and maybe find something out. I have asked Bradley Bell to help me with this, but gotten no reply so far.
sir-qwerty
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sir-qwerty »

I'll try D2X-win32 on various systems (different soundboards) and will inform you.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

I have an Audigy2.zs and D2x-w32 sounds fine to me. So who knows? :roll: