Kitty Kitty

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Couver_
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Kitty Kitty

Post by Couver_ »

No more saucers of anti freeze :P

Link
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

um...that isn't right. We're not talking about wolves or big cats that might be preying on livestock. Though I don't agree with shooting them either, animals act on survival instincts and all they're trying to do is live. If a bird isn't quick enough to get away, it's fair game.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I think the article is spot on. Feral domestic cats are a invasive animal that does great ecological damage. Too many people move to the country and think it is perfectly alright to let their cats (and dogs) roam unrestrained. I know of a former Justice of the Peace that shot near a hundred dogs (many of them puredreds) that were out killing his sheep. Want a pet? Then maintain control. Around my feeder cats are fair game. I wish the Michigan DNR would classify cats as a pest animal also.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Lemme get this straight. The man wants to protect wild birds by shooting domestic cats. That's sick.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

University of Wisconsin-Madison wildlife ecology professor Stanley Temple, who trapped more than 100 cats and analyzed their stomach contents during a four-year study, has estimated that between 7.8 million and 219 million birds are killed by rural cats in Wisconsin each year.
A 211.2 million margin of error? Credibility--
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

DCrazy wrote:Lemme get this straight. The man wants to protect wild birds by shooting domestic cats. That's sick.
Not really. Here in Mich. if we are hunting and come across a dog (dogs) chasing a deer, we can shoot the dog...which I have done. Cats (doemestic)are one of the few animals that will kill a animal...and then leave it. While you may think it sick, I don't.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

down here in OZ everyone knows cats are an eccological disaster. cats and foxes (both introduced) are the sole cause for many of our native marcupials being endangered (so many of them are very small, like mice).

you are completely justified trapping or shooting cats. and my god, have you ever seen a feral cat? they are HUGE! like.. another species.

it bothers me to kill things, but you have to realise the reality - cats are an introduced species, they are very dangerous (environmentally) and ruthless hunters. i think if you see a feral cat in action you will realise how important it is to kill them.

rawr
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

roid wrote:you are completely justified trapping or shooting cats. and my god, have you ever seen a feral cat? they are HUGE! like.. another species.
Not to mention MEAN! The local FedEx hub over on this part of the planet had issues with mice getting into the building and generally making a mess of things. Well, they released a few cats, which pretty much took care of the mice problem. However, they had been there so long that they turned wild. It got to the point that occasionally one of them would attack a worker. Needless to say, you don't see too many cats around there anymore other than a handfull.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Krom wrote:
University of Wisconsin-Madison wildlife ecology professor Stanley Temple, who trapped more than 100 cats and analyzed their stomach contents during a four-year study, has estimated that between 7.8 million and 219 million birds are killed by rural cats in Wisconsin each year.
A 211.2 million margin of error? Credibility--
Kinda like the study that showed 100,000 Iraqi civilian casualties... plus or minus 120,000. (Meaning "20,000 people were resurrected by US troops" was well within the margins for error!) When your margin for error is that large, you have no business quoting statistics to anybody.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

the lancet journal is pretty well respected, you may want to double check that you are quoting them correctly
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Ned: CBS News was also highly respected, but that didn't stop them from basing an entire broadcast off of forged documents.

I know Lancet is well respected. But they still put out a survey with a margin for error that was ridiculously large.
[url=http://www.techcentralstation.com/102904J.html]Tim Worstall[/url], quoting the study, wrote:The risk of death was estimated to be 2.5-fold (95% CI 1.6-4.2) higher after the invasion when compared with the preinvasion period. Two-thirds of all violent deaths were reported in one cluster in the city of Falluja. If we exclude the Falluja data, the risk of death is 1.5-fold (1.1-2.3) higher after the invasion. We estimate that 98 000 more deaths than expected (8000-194 000) happened after the invasion outside of Falluja and far more if the outlier Falluja cluster is included. The major causes of death before the invasion were myocardial infarction, cerebrovascular accidents, and other chronic disorders whereas after the invasion violence was the primary cause of death. Violent deaths were widespread, reported in 15 of 33 clusters, and were mainly attributed to coalition forces. Most individuals reportedly killed by coalition forces were women and children. The risk of death from violence in the period after the invasion was 58 times higher (95% CI 8.1-419) than in the period before the war.
OK, so I was slightly wrong -- the margin for error on the 98,000 estimate was only about 90,000, not 120,000. Still, the point stands: when your margin for error is that large, you have no business quoting statistics to anybody.
aldel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by aldel »

People should only shoot at cats if the cats can shoot back.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

A bird can outrun/outfly a cat, a cat can not outrun a bullet. Its fair game for the cat to kick the birds ass.

BTW, Woody, when it comes to not allowing your cat to roam freely.... what else are you going to do? Keep it locked up in a cage all of its life? They do not attack/cause harm to humans. They are an animal that is very difficult to simply keep locked up. Dogs are a bit easier but they will also live a very miserable life. If you do this than they need to also make it illegal to keep cats as pets, PERIOD. That would make it semi-fair game. You can not kill another person's pet because it is on your property following its own instincts. If someone parks in your driveway, you can't take a bat and smash his or her windows if you get the notion to.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

mob-messenger wrote:A bird can outrun/outfly a cat,
Not true:

mob-messenger wrote:BTW, Woody, when it comes to not allowing your cat to roam freely.... what else are you going to do? Keep it locked up in a cage all of its life?
No, but with a litter box a cat doesn't have to go outside...as I am sure is true with cats whose owners live in the city.
mob-messenger wrote: You can not kill another person's pet because it is on your property following its own instincts.
Wanna count the notchs on my .22?
mob-messenger wrote:If someone parks in your driveway, you can't take a bat and smash his or her windows if you get the notion to.
True, but I can call a wrecker and have it towed.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

it's most important to keep your cat under control during the dawn/dusk twilight times. that's when they go nuts and kill things.

and if you don't think cats are fast, you havn't seen a rocket cat. i may have imagined it.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

mob-messenger wrote: You can not kill another person's pet because it is on your property following its own instincts.

I hate to tell you this, but here in the rural part of Oregon we CAN shoot another persons pet for wandering on our property. Livestock owners have every right to potect their animals and or property from wild or domestic animals.

as far as cats go, there are so many feral cats here that everyone in the area knows to have a collar to Identify their pet cat. If they do not they take the risk of having their pet shot by a nieghbor protecting the birds he feeds.

I personally have shot numerous feral cats and 3 dogs to date. The cats were definately feral, the dogs were shot for chasing our livestock.
The way I see it, if the owners truly cared about the wellbeing of their dog or cat, they would have ensured they were unable to escape and cause harm to others property.
I would not hesitate for a second to shoot another dog or feral cat if the need arises. Come to think of it, it is about time for another feral cat hunt as the lil fackers are starting to bug our barn cats.

just my usual 1/3 cent. -Hat
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

woodchip wrote:
Not true:
Apparently you've never owned a cat.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

DCrazy wrote:
woodchip wrote:
Not true:
Apparently you've never owned a cat.

Well, I will give him partial credit here. A bird can not outrun a cat in SOME cases. Now phyiscaly a cat CAN NOT fly. It can jump to an extent but not really that high most of the time. They are quick jumpers/runners though. A bird may not be able to outrun a cat depending on the breed. A bird is a VERY tough prey for a cat. A cat is very stealthy however and they are very good at looking for weaknesses. Most of the time out in the open a cat can not catch a bird. If they are in the bush or the bird is caught unaware he gets waxed depending on how close the cat is to the bird and how unaware the bird is of the cat that has been stalking it for a while. Most of the time a bird can get away fairly easily.

I and my family have probably owned dozens of cats during my lifetime at different points. There are probably hundreds or even thousands of cats around here due to farmers needing them to illiminate birds and mice issues in the feilds. We still seem to recieve enough bird ★■◆● on our cars as is. :D

As for shooting cats that wander on to your property I wasn't meaning feral cats. I'm talking about a cat that someone owns. I know that if you do it here in town you get your ass kicked for it if you shoot them with a gun. You will get in trouble for firing any kind of lethal weapon in town here. On a farm it is different though but most farmers would actually appreciate your cat hunting on their property. :D

As for dogs catching birds and rodents, that can be pretty funny to watch. I've seen a squirrel in a tree that ran down the side of the tree every single day pretty much all day long just to piss of these stupid wiener dogs next door. As soon as they chased the squirrel it ran up the tree and they would paw at the tree then turn around and give up, squirrel would run down and piss them off again and the show would start over again. :D Stupid dogs couldn't catch jack.

BTW, I've never had a nasty cat in my yard. I had one that I did hate that we owned, would claw you if you attempted to pet it. Wouldn't have wished death on it though.

BTW, having a car towed is alot different than destroying someone's car. :) They can still get their car back. If you kill someones cat, you can not get a cat back once it is dead.

BTW, cats have other needs than a litter box. Some people have a house too small to have a litter box and it gets too smelly to keep it inside around a house full of kids. Just as a human does not deserve to spend their entire life inside a house/building neither does a cat. And what are you going to do with a cat? Walk it? I would like to see that. :D
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

mob-messenger wrote:As for shooting cats that wander on to your property I wasn't meaning feral cats. I'm talking about a cat that someone owns. I know that if you do it here in town you get your *** kicked for it if you shoot them with a gun.
Thats not bad.

Apparently in Wisconsin you get death threats for even thinking of killing a feral cat.

:roll:
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

No problem killing a human, but a cat? Hey we have to draw the line somewhere. :roll:
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Haha, that is pretty funny actually. I wouldn't go that far but I don't think that people should be allowed to destroy another person's property/pet.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

mob-messenger wrote:As for shooting cats that wander on to your property I wasn't meaning feral cats. I'm talking about a cat that someone owns. I know that if you do it here in town you get your *** kicked for it if you shoot them with a gun. You will get in trouble for firing any kind of lethal weapon in town here. On a farm it is different though but most farmers would actually appreciate your cat hunting on their property. :D
See, the problem here is owners not keeping up with their animals. Whether or not they're more likely to damage property is totally irrelevant to this case. Domestic or not, they are on someone else's land. This is a case of IRRESPONSIBLE OWNERSHIP. Theres this thing called a leash law. Maybe you've heard of it. At any time a domestic animal (re: dogs, cats, etc) is outside a fenced enclosure of any kind, it must be tethered or enclosed in some manner to prevent it's escape. This means being kept on a leash or in a cage. These owners are violating the aforementioned law by letting their animals run free.

Now these cats are hunting birds on someone else's property. These birds are being fed by the owner of said property, and does not want those cats around. Since the owners of the cats are obviously not doing anything about it, what option does this person have? Call animal patrol and hope the cat(s) will still be there by the time they eventually show up? If I see a stray animal on my property damaging it in some way, you bet your ass its going to get shot. (note: That doesn't automatically mean a lethal shot. That what the BB gun is for.)
BTW, cats have other needs than a litter box. Some people have a house too small to have a litter box and it gets too smelly to keep it inside around a house full of kids. Just as a human does not deserve to spend their entire life inside a house/building neither does a cat. And what are you going to do with a cat? Walk it? I would like to see that. :D
If they don't have enough room for the animal, then they shouldn't even have bought it. Period. I suggest you look up the definition of responsible ownership.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

MD-2389 wrote:(note: That doesn't automatically mean a lethal shot. That what the BB gun is for.)
Why a BB gun? Why not a water gun, or the hose?

That's what I don't get about this... why does anyone need to use lethal force against a cat?
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Sometimes, buying a cat isn't always the case. Sometimes, a cat or pet can become your pet by being thrown out by its owner.

Also, most likely a non-lethal shot to a cat will do nothing accept maybe give it an infection and kill it slowly. Cat's are creatures of habbit. They WILL come back anyway.

BTW, how the hell do you expect to keep a cat on a leash? Don't see too many people walking their cat do you? Doesn't work that way.

Also, if you keep a cat inside a house all of its life, it will not be as good of a hunter as it would if you let it roam a bit.

I think we have some controversy between colliding laws here.

If you fire any form of a lethal weapon in a residential area here, you get a free ride to jail. :D
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

I've killed quite a few feral cats, and countless kittens. They're a menace when they over-populate. They do keep the snake population down though so it's useful to have a few around.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Lothar wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:(note: That doesn't automatically mean a lethal shot. That what the BB gun is for.)
Why a BB gun? Why not a water gun, or the hose?

That's what I don't get about this... why does anyone need to use lethal force against a cat?
Dude, all a BB is going to do is sting the crap out of it. Now if you kept pumping the gun, then yean it might do some damage. If I wanted to kill something, trust me when I say I wouldn't use a dinky BB gun that isn't even powerful enough to shoot through drywall. I'd drag out the 20 guage shotgun. (which I wouldn't use on a cat anyways...thats massive overkill)
mob-messenger wrote:Sometimes, buying a cat isn't always the case. Sometimes, a cat or pet can become your pet by being thrown out by its owner.
Agreed, but they always have the option of giving it away. If you intend on keeping an animal, you damn well better make sure you have adequate room for it.
Also, most likely a non-lethal shot to a cat will do nothing accept maybe give it an infection and kill it slowly. Cat's are creatures of habbit. They WILL come back anyway.
If it penetrates the skin, and is left untreated by the owner, then yes it would. If it dies, then it would be mostly the fault of the owner for not taking it immediatley to the local vet. As for coming back, I don't think that would happen too many times.
BTW, how the hell do you expect to keep a cat on a leash? Don't see too many people walking their cat do you? Doesn't work that way.
Thats up to the owner. They always have the option of stepping outside in their back yard and keeping an eye on it. They could even carry it around in their arms. As long as the animal is carried with them or tethered in some way, they're covered by the leash law. Atleast thats the way its written around here. It may be different in your neck of the woods.

Not much more ticks me off faster than irresponsible owners letting their animals run wild all over the neighborhood.
Also, if you keep a cat inside a house all of its life, it will not be as good of a hunter as it would if you let it roam a bit.
Last time I checked, when someone purchases or aquires a pet, they don't get them to be hunters. They get them as companions. Furthermore, I've seen cats "practice" their "hunting skills" inside as well. Particularly around the holiday season. (ie: game of attack the tree ornaments)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Don't underestimate a BB gun MD, at close range even a cheap pump up one will puncture the skin. Skin is nowhere near as tough as a sheet of drywall. My brother had a cat that got shot by a BB gun in one of its hind legs, the pellet had to be removed by a vet and bandaged up. (Was not me, vet said he has seen it before, some bunch of punks shooting peoples pets with a pellet gun out of their car window. If I caught em doing it I'd probably have fun scaring them by popping a couple holes in the windshield and taking out the rearview mirrors.) :P

I've used a .177 BB gun at 10 pumps to kill many squrrels (granted from less then 10 yards). However, I agree it is very unlikely a 400 foot per second .177 BB gun would quickly take down a cat. I've had pidgeons (rats with wings) last through as many as 7 BB gun shots before going down for good (most likely blead to death rather then the pellets actually doing it :P ). However, one solid hit from a rimfire .22 will do the job. I've taken out skunks in one hit with the .22 before.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

cat leashes are cute, they go around the shoulders like little backpacks for cats - but instead of a pack it's got a leash comming outof it.

MD, just.. man... uh forget it.
it's the eyerolls, the "see, the problem here is...", the "ever heard of ..... ?" sarcasm.
there's this superior know-it-all vibe i've been getting from your posts.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

roid: Its because of two things:

1. Seeing as I've lived out in the sticks for the majority of my life, I've dealt with my fair share of stray animals. Granted, most of them were either very friendly or wouldn't approach anyone. However, there were those that felt I was "infringing on their territory" and acted accordingly. Even my (then) neighbor's boxer would do the same thing everytime I got home from school. The owners wouldn't do a damn thing about the dog, and quite frankly I got tired of dealing with the damn thing. So, the very next day it tried to attack me, I whipped out my pocket knife. THAT got the immediate attention of one of the owners, whom came charging out of their house to call off the dog. (Keep in mind that they "graduated" from a trailer park, and definitely fit the description of your typical white trash family.) She started bitching at me because I pulled a weapon on her damn dog, but I reminded her that if she felt that way then she should've kept the dog put up to begin with and that I will use lethal force if that dog ever comes near me like that again. (That dog apparently had been doing the same thing to little kids down the street.) Never had a problem out of that dog since.

2. I have no sympathy or respect for pet owners that refuse to do their duty and keep up with their animals. That means keeping it on a leash when you're taking it for a walk, and cleaning up after it if it ever leaves a "gift" on someone else's property. If you can't take it upon yourself to take responsibility for your animal, then you don't deserve to have one to begin with.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

MD-2389 wrote:So, the very next day it tried to attack me, I whipped out my pocket knife. THAT got the immediate attention of one of the owners, whom came charging out of their house...
This means they obviously knew the dog was after you (because they saw you pull the knife). Sounds like a case of stupid owners... but remember, there's a difference between an animal attacking *you* and an animal attacking a natural food source like a bird.

The question still remains... why lethal force against cats, as in the original post? It certainly doesn't sound like they've exhausted or even attempted reasonable non-lethal possibilities (water gun, hose, etc.)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Lothar wrote:This means they obviously knew the dog was after you (because they saw you pull the knife). Sounds like a case of stupid owners... but remember, there's a difference between an animal attacking *you* and an animal attacking a natural food source like a bird.
I agree. However, if the animal(s) are being pests and the owners aren't doing anything about it, I feel the option should be available to the land owner to rid themselves of the aforementioned pest(s). Remember, whether or not they are acting out natural instincts, its happening on someone else's property, and they want the wild birds to stick around.

That being said, I don't advocate people shooting pets right off the bat just because they happen to get loose on someone else's property, nor do I advocate shooting them for the hell of it. I do, however, advocate it as a last resort.
The question still remains... why lethal force against cats, as in the original post? It certainly doesn't sound like they've exhausted or even attempted reasonable non-lethal possibilities (water gun, hose, etc.)
The article didn't really elaborate whether or not he even tried non-lethal methods before this even became an issue so we don't really know if he did or not.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

mob-messenger wrote:They do not attack/cause harm to humans.
That all depends on if you are alive or dead. If you are a cat owner, and you die at home, by yourself, your cat(s) will begin eating you before your body cools - even if they have just been fed.

I know a Pathologist who has examined many people who have died in their own homes, and he refuses to have a cat in the house for this reason alone.

Cats will immediately eat your lips, nose, ears, and try to dig out your eyes. Once they have done this, they will begin to disembowel you and eat your guts.

This is no matter you owned and fed the cat for 15 years and showered unconditional love on it.

Dogs on the other hand, will not begin to eat their dead owners until they are almost dead from dehydration and starvation.

Guess which animal I prefer?

I could shoot a million cats before I'd ever shoot a dog.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i'll believe that when it shows up on snopes mobi.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

MD seriously dude.... you must have never EVER actually OWNED a cat in your life. Put a cat on a leash and it would litteraly strangle itself before it allowed itself to be tied to something. Every cat I have owned, you put something constraining on it and it will bring out the claws and teeth on you or it will nearly kill itself getting away.

As for buying a cat to hunt, uuuuh yes it is actually very well known to have cats around to HUNT here. That is why farmers collect them by the dozens in order to keep mice problems down on their farmland. In town we also use them to keep the mice down. It was funny that you mentioned that hawks can kill mice. Well, we have gazzillions of hawks around here. THEY DO NOT COME INTO TOWN!! And outside of town it is mostly desert and sage brush with gazzillions of mice. Thus all of the mice head in one direction... food and shelter. Where might that be? Hmmm... maybe town? We have had 3 cats in the house before, supurb hunters and we still get overwhelmed by mice. :) Not a single person restrains a cat around here because they want cats to hunt. From what I understand, out in Wisconsin, mice have a lot more places to go for food and shelter from what I understand. Besides, if you don't use a leash, what are you going to do if a cat decides to go into the neighbors yard? Chase it? It will run like hell and they can run a lot faster than you can and if you do catch it, expect to be clawed and bitten because it sees you as attempting to attack it. It is not within the laws of nature of a cat to be constrained. Unless you NEVER allow it to leave the house or see daylight, which will result in a very bored animal.

As for giving a cat away... easier said than done when everyone else in town has 2-3 cats of their own or a dog or two. :
Mobi, as for a cat eating when you are dead... it is simply taking a natural course in nature. It does not kill you or attack you while it is alive. Thus it does not cause harm to you. A dog on the otherhand, will do just that. I just watched a show about a little kid who was attacked by a pitbull. Tore half his face and another ladies face off that sheilded him. A number of dogs have taken chunks out of one of my friends who happens to be a paperboy that wouldn't hurt a fly. Dogs WILL attack and kill humans. A cat is not physically able unless they are a BIG cat. They also usually avoid a fight. I have also seen a number of TV programs where unleashed dogs attacked people and yes, killed them. They go for the neck. One dog last summer attacked my brother when he was riding in bike race in a canyon in Utah. The dog jumped on top of him causing he and his bike to roll and his shin bone was shoved completely through his pelvis, shattering it. He can no longer race because of it. He spent a wonderfull night having his leg tied to a weight system that slowly pulled his leg bone out of his pelvis. Sure, some dogs are ok if they get loose. We had one that liked to come over for a visit and get a drink from the hose and a quick pet and he was on the way. Others, however, may attempt to attack someone walking down the street if the mood catches him/her. Some dogs are mean natured while others are sweet hearts. Mean dogs are very dangerouse when they are loose. A mean cat however, at least can't harm someone walking down the street and they are a lot less lethal to humans.

By the way, if you do not think cats are social or have any feelings for other forms of life. I had a cat that starved himself to death when his sister died, on purpose. We did everything we could think of to help him. My mom had a three legged cat that actually tried to attack her brother when he attempted to hit her. One of my favorite cats was tough as hell and had complete and total trust in us. When one of us was upset she would get upset and actually meow at us and try to comfort us. :) She also took care of her brother as if she was his mother and even acted that way with us at times.

Now, what animal should be on a leash? Dog or a cat? Hmmm?

I find it funny how some people have this strange phobia of cats. A lot of people also do not seem to know how to treat their cats. They are an animal that is very social but you need to also be gentle with unlike a dog. You can't wrestle with a cat. These same people can drive 120 mph on a 60 mph road while searching the back for a CD, they can play with pet scorpions and spiders. They can own a dog but they fear a cat? :D (I know a couple people like this.)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

My brother was bitten by a dog while riding his bike once, the owner was forced to put the dog down. Later my brother was riding his bike past this place and this guy had 3 dogs loose, my brother got off the bike and put it between him and the dogs. Then he pulled the quick release on his bike seat and picked it up like a club, that sent two of the dogs running home, the last one tried to make a lunge through the bike at my brother and he hit it on the head HARD. That dog yelped and started to run home but instead ran across the road into the dodge ram 2500 pickup truck doing 60...hamburger.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Many people seem to think that BB guns are a solution to pet invasion problems--they aren't. BB guns will penetrate skin, injuring an animal. This leaves you open to lawsuits unless the animal was blatantly attacking you or something.

There is a solution, however--blowguns.

Yes, blowguns. It takes a bit of practice, but then so does an air rifle. These things have stun darts available with blunt plastic heads on them--they'll hurt an animal, possibly worse than getting hit by a BB (the things are much larger and heavier than BBs--they'll have more of an impact) but they WON'T run a serious risk of killing the thing. I've shot my own cat with a blowgun before--not hard, because I still want it to allow me to live in the same house as it does, but enough to definitely let it know that I wasn't happy with it hunting birds.

Blowguns can get very good range with pinpoint accuracy--if you're good enough, you can turn around quickly and without thinking hit a 1-inch diameter tree trunk at 50 paces. BB rifles have a tendancy, unless they're specially made and co$t big buck$, to mis-fire, leaving them semi-useless on anything smaller than a large dog at about 100 feet.

You can also vary the speed of the dart--if you don't want to kill the cat, and it's close to you, just don't blow quite as hard. The cat will get the message. However, if the cat is 100 yards away (yes, some blowguns can fire this far and still retain almost 100% accuracy in the hands of a skilled user) you can belt out a shot as hard as you can, and the dart will tag the cat easily--and hard enough to make it realize that what it's doing isn't in its best interests.

If you get a good long blowgun (4 feet is good, though 6-footers could shoot the cat in your neighbors lawn across the street hard enough to kill) you can get good range, and the dart flies as fast as a BB. Blowguns are cheaper than BB guns, and the darts are reusable and cheap. Plus, if you have other small rodents (I.E. mice) you can get metal-shafted darts with hunting tips--they'll kill or cripple anything smaller than a small dog. Rabbits, squirrels, mice, and if you hit the right spot even cats and small dogs could get killed by one of these things.

There are also multiple types of stun darts (blunt darts). Plastic-tipped kinds have a flat plastic end that give them weight, but you can also get a metal-tipped kind that has a small steel half-sphere on the front. That kind of projectile at 300 FPS can break bones of small animals.

For a good blowgun site, check out J&L Blowguns

Oh yeah, it's also a great conversation piece--and they have paintball versions. Imagine what your friends will think when you show up to the local paintball match and murder them with a BLOWGUN, of all things.
MDX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MDX »

If you need a nonlethal way to teach them cats a lesson, I suggest using paintballs.

1) They're quiet. No loud booming noise to disturb the neighbors.

2) Nonlethal. At 20+ feet, the balls just splatter and hurt, maybe leave a welt. Worst part is having to wash the stuff off the cat.

That way, no one loses a kitty, and you don't have to worry too much about the owners (if they file a lawsuit, just mention the fact that the animal was trespassing and you didn't actually kill it. If that doesn't work...you're pretty much on your own).
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Blowguns can also mount paintballs--and they're a heck of a lot cheaper than a paintball gun. :P
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

actually we just used to use the "blunts" that you can buy for blow guns.I believe they might be cheaper than paintballs.

It was a very effective way to teach our outdoor cats to stay off our cars and the cats werent harmed....well too much anyway. :P
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

roid wrote:i'll believe that when it shows up on snopes mobi.
His story is actually true. I've heard a couple of similar stories where the cat would gnaw or even eat an elderly person after they have died in the home.

Speaking of shooting cats, I got to practice my aim. Theres this damn cat that goes by my feeder and attacks the birds. Every time I go to shoot him he always dissapear.