\"Back when the greats were playing\"....

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

\"Back when the greats were playing\"....

Post by ReadyMan »

It's going on a year since the D3 demo was released, and about 9 months since Retail D3....yet there seems to be a lot of 'nostalgic reverence' to the first few months of D3 in many of the threads.
Many comment on 'the greats' playing way back when, as if they were the greek heros of fame.
The truth of the matter is this:
Like a gene pool that expands and grows with time, the D3 skill pool has increased tremendously in the last 6 months or so, and the lvl of play has increased far beyond what it was back in the days of the demo and early D3.
I remember playing against Fusionrat and others that seemed to dominate certain lvls...mainly because few had mastered the techniques of mothing/ratting with fusion.
Were the pilots really that good, or was the skill pool just that small? I think it was the skill pool that needed help.

Today there are perhaps half a dozen or so pilots that dominate on a consistent basis, yet there are at least 2 dozen that fly extremely well and can mix it up with anyone (yet they havent quite risen to the lvl of the 6). Slightly less proficient than these 'top pilots' is a group of up and comers that even in their present state can equal those considered \"great\" when some start to think nostalgicly of those pilots of yesteryear Image

In my opinion, all of these pilots are the current 'great ones', and their skills are the cutting edge of the Descent pilot skill pool. As experience soaks in, and the number of pilots increases, the lvl of skill will continue to escalate...
...while the lvl of skill of those that dominate will only slightly rise (experience will be the factor that truely sets them apart).

All of this makes for more great games and more great competition.

\"Back when the greats were playing\" ? Bah!
I say the greats <FONT SIZE=\"3\" FACE=\"Arial\" color=\"#FF0000\">ARE<FONT SIZE=\"3\" FACE=\"Arial\" color=\"#33CCFF\"> playing, and that they are better than those of yesteryear.

<FONT SIZE=\"3\" FACE=\"Arial\" color=\"#FF0000\">ReadyMan<FONT SIZE=\"3\" FACE=\"Arial\" color=\"#33CCFF\"> <FONT SIZE=\"3\" FACE=\"Arial\" color=\"#FFFFFF\">The Pilot of the Millenium<FONT SIZE=\"3\" FACE=\"Arial\" color=\"#33CCFF\">

<FONT SIZE=\"3\" FACE=\"Arial\" color=\"#FFFF00\">Crud! Now your guts are all over my ship! Image <FONT SIZE=\"3\" FACE=\"Arial\" color=\"#33CCFF\">
Thundercat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thundercat »

Truer words than these have never been spoken:
(experience will be the factor that truely sets them apart).
It definately gets to a point where ability to manuver and react is less of a factor in the game than the ability to inherrently know what your opponent is going to do. Why do the "best" pilots always seem to be able to tag you with Fusion even in a wide open room? Experience teaches the tendancies of how people will react in a given situation and allows you to take initiative to beat them to the punch. Maybe someone can hit the perfect triple chord or lay out a spread of lasers like nobody's business or even rock the perfect swirly Image - If they can't out think their opponent, they will end up on the short end of the stick every time.

Alas, I ramble. Take it how you may, I'm just a newbie anyway...

PS, Did I get off topic far enough? Image
CDN_WingMan
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by CDN_WingMan »

All good true words.. Image

all except the part about the demo being out a year Image

D3 Demo 1 came out right at Christmas time Image was 1 year 3 months ago Image

I've been playing since it came out, I was on the outrage page, and it said coming soon, 20 minutes later, I refreshed the page, and it was there! haha Image

-------------------------
Welcome to Canada
-------------------------
Yubb
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Yubb »

If you talk about when 'the greats were playing,' then you're not referring to D3. You're typing of D1 and D2. I believe that to be good at Descent (in general), you must be great at all 3. Or, if not all three, at least D1 and 2.

I'd have to say that those playing D1/2 before they played D3 would most likely have to be better. The idea being that they've had much more experience. A lot of guys on the DBB and in D3 have only played D3. Therefore, they don't take to D1/2 very much. And the guys that play D1/2 don't always take to D3 very much. However, those that play both, and are the greats of D1/2 combined with D3, are the best, I believe.
Jagger#1
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jagger#1 »

IMHO, Yubb, the reason for that is bcuz they're used to the 6 degrees of freedom. They've already learned how to roll, slide, and turn at the same time while tri-chording and afterburning. Others are just getting started.

Werd, ready. Now that more and more pilots are joining on, the cadets are flowing and kills must seem to come more easily. That to me makes it seem like the "good ole days" were harder.

IRS: We've got what it takes to take what you've got.

There's too much youth, how about a fountain of smart?
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

Have played some pilots that could put the whup-a$$ on me faster than a New York Minute when this pilot first started playing Descent 3 Online in January 1999.

Since that time I've improved a lot... Still not the Best at D3, but having a lot of fun WHEN play time comes my way in D3 via PXO. Used to play and chat about 60 hours in D3 weekly. Now my play time in D3 might be as much as 4 hours a week TOTAL.

No Car + No Job + Not at my apartment often = BITES! DOH! Image

[red]Play EXCELLENT, Rest Well.[/red]
[white]DBB Events Forum Moderator[/white]
D3k CTF Clan
3drepoman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by 3drepoman »

Yah, I think that nostalgia is just condescending. It doesn't give credit to todays pilots. Sheesh! I just started playing D3 last Christmas.

Maybe the pond is getting too big for the nostalgic folk.

Forgive me, but annihilating my enemies is in my nature.
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

I'm pretty sure 3drepoman has the best logo on the BB.
StarSeeker59
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by StarSeeker59 »

Some people I used to think were "great" back then, are so easy to beat now. The whole community's skill has increased tremendously since then. I think the "greats" are whoever is playing now, and whoever continues to play.

- descent59clan.8m.com -
[ the universe is not enough ]
StarFighter59
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by StarFighter59 »

Hello pilots,
I am very nostalgic about the demo days but I am not nostalgic about "the greats back then." I really loved the demo because it seemed like everyone was on an even keel and you could determing who was good and who was "up and coming" easier. Just think about it. There was only one ship, the pyro. There were only 4 primaries. Napalm, laser, super laser, and vauss. Plus, there were only 3 secondaries: homers, concs, and frags. This made it very balanced. Every pilot got to know the ins and outs of these weapons and that is why I think alot of pilots still have them high on their weapon prorities. It was really cool back then for me playing awesome guys like torgny, nostu, beanpole, fatal, sickone, diezman, sandmann,chenjeshu, mehyam and the list goes on. It seemed like I saw them on a daily basis unlike now. I rarely run into any of these guys anymore. I can't begin to tell you how many tactics I learned from these guys and the guys on cases ladder. It was a great time!

Games were insane back then. If you wanted to get good game going you could just go to heat and find tons of great guys to play. everyone had the core memorized like the back of their hand and everyone had memorized the weapons. So, it would just be crazy with like 7 or 8 people in core all flyin crazy and frags and homers and quad supers everywhere. These are my roots, where I learned to fly, die, and respect true skill. I miss those days, I really do. I met so many friends back then and still meet more each day. It was truly my "golden age."

Now don't get me wrong. Like readyman said, There's tons of new skill out there, its just amazing. I can't believe that talent pool out there right now. Everyone has just improved so much and newbies are pracitcally kickin butt with the best after a few months it seems. The descent pilot of the new millennium seems more intelligent and unfortantaley at times, more imaptient and rude. IMHO. I truly cannot remember hardly any complaining or bitching about luck and ping in the demo days. People seemed more content to just play and not whine. This is all my opinion, but that is how I seem to remember it. There was no complaining about the BP, or the magnum or cheap weapons. It was all cut and dry. 4 primaries, 3 secondaries, 1 ship, 2 levels. Simplicity is bliss! I love the d3 retail to, and would never go back to the slow d3 demo. But, I do miss those days. They were fun. But, I still have fun and as our clan expands and we meet new people everyday I know that sometimes d3 seems like so much more than "just a game". I think its becasue real people are involved. If you swear at someone, its not some bot, thats a person with feelings. Lets respect each other folks, lets have fun, and make friends. This is what I think d3 is about. the demo days was simply the beginning. everyone looks back fondly on certain memories. I look back on the demo and remember those good memories. Thanks guys, for all the good times, in the demo days and now. Image

P.S. Sorry I went kinda overboard, but I felt that's what I wanted to say and I said it, and then some. hehe Image

Founder and leader of the 59 clan.
http://www.descent59clan.8m.com
Proud member of the ^BoTS^ CTF team.
http://www.descent-3.com/bots/main
"Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles." Isaiah 40:31
Stormcrow
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Stormcrow »

All I know is, there are people I do miss playing with on a regular basis.

I stumbled upon Bama, who was in a game with about 3 other people last week. I hadn't played him in about 5 months. After a good game, he sent me e-mail about the game...that's class Image.

I do terribly miss playing against some people, many I know better from D2 than D3. At the same time, I've had some terrific matches in D3 against pilots I've never flown with before. Maybe one of them will go on to be one of the Great One's.

Or maybe I will. Who's to say? All we can do is play well, and inspire others to greatness. (Oh, and have fun, otherwise it just isn't worth it).
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

ya know what has gotten me thinking is: if I were to warp back to the time of demo 1.1 would I be way better than everyone? I mean now I am average but is everyone going up in skill and therefore you are actually very good by the 1.1 standards?

snoopy_1001@hotmail.com
http://thepeanutsclan.gq.nu/
[red]shiva's sod[/red]
http://d3shiva.dhs.org/
aim: thedsnoopy
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Actually, Demo 1 came out on Thanksgiving, 1998, and I remember it very clearly since it was an accident brought on by the premature release in a UK gaming mag. I believe one of the UK pilots (POTZ?) organized some download mirrors and we had it shortly thereafter. My own nostalgia for those days stems from the fact that only hardcore D1/D2 players were there so everyone had some mad skillz and many of us already knew each other, the Heat ladder read like a who's who of the community, there were no stats beyond kills/deaths/playtime, and it was a graphically mind-blowing version of our favorite game. In my mind the netplay also seemed better but 16 months ago I'm sure the net was much less congested. It also seemed to me that since we all knew each other as the same ppl in and out of game (Heat login/account rules) there was much more accountability in that little pool and you could play many, many games without hearing a single complaint. In fact, quite the opposite. The game chatter was very positive and amusing since we were all so excited about finally getting what we had only dreamt of for so long. It was indeed a golden era in D3 and a time that still holds my fondest memories. Many players that have arrived and progressed since that time have gained the same level of prowess but the environment and comraderie just isn't the same as it was in those innocent early months.
Jagger#1
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jagger#1 »

Well, i have to say this. Just wait until Descent4 comes out. Outrage/Interplay/Volition/Parallax are aiming to grab some of the UT, Tribes, and Q3A crowd. You wanna hear whining? Try those games online. I couldn't go three seconds without someone complaining about everything.(If you play tribes, don't tell 'em your canadian. I got booted once for saying that). Image

I hope that Descent Online doesn't go down the crapper after D4. I seriously hope. I might start, dare i say it, playing SINGLE player! Image

IRS: We've got what it takes to take what you've got.

There's too much youth, how about a fountain of smart?
xceptional1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by xceptional1 »

Sorry, it's just funny to me how some things never change. Image

<FONT SIZE="2">------------------
(00:34) [NT]ChunderPeel: i dont know i never see d3k cry much unless wake is playing</FONT>
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

You are retarded Wake

Zaphod_Beeblebrox: Sorry for sharing Information. In fact, I would like to request a 90 day ban from the DBB.</FONT>
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

So what compelled you to dig around for this thread Wake?
Akuma
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Akuma »

3 beers to many......

[RIP]AKUMA

Ikonboard Staff www.ikonboard.com
Founder & CEO www.Elementaleye.com</FONT>
xceptional1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by xceptional1 »

I was bored last night, I had to come home at like 10:30 on a Saturday night to baby sit my brother while my parents were at our lakefront property overnight. So i clicked view all topics, then clicked on like page 50 something, and that was just a thread that caught my eye. I had a laugh reading it though considering D3's present day situation. Image

(00:34) [NT]ChunderPeel: i dont know i never see d3k cry much unless wake is playing</FONT>
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

PS. Sorry bout turning this into a rant. I just wish all the great elites would ladder freqently and enjoy the competition of ladders like the way it used to be "back when the greats were playing." - Ryujin

me2

I don't understand the whole alias thing on the d3tl... kinda takes away from the whole community aspect of it
everyone has their special masks

it's like turning the d3tl into a mexican wrestling league Image -rev</FONT>
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

If I was in your position wake, I'd do the exact same thing. I miss 1v1 laddering.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Maybe they are affraid godcli would f**k them match's up to, so don't bother...?

Zaphod_Beeblebrox: Sorry for sharing Information. In fact, I would like to request a 90 day ban from the DBB.</FONT>
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

second time in one night that Stress and I agree...what's up wit dat...gaycli sucks

(18:15) {ROX-USA}Genghis: remember when i was a newbie?
(18:16) bash: dominate one game, raped in the next
(18:04) Zuruck: i hate you all</FONT>
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

damn scary

El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

I'll Blow you all up ! ... Just kill me before I do !

</FONT>
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Ferno you bum dum. Image
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

yes!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

What does this thread get bumped every 2 years or something?
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Man...all these "deceased" pilots from D3...
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Thundercat.
Remember the VolitionBB thread (like 40+ pages) he attacked people in? Haha, classic.
(Being vague because I don't remember the specifics.)
Pebkac
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pebkac »

^
|
|

I remember that. Good stuff. Ya just can't do better than smack talk that rhymes.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Thundercat was a really good pilot back in the day. I wonder what happened to him.
The_Rock
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by The_Rock »

*sniff*
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Beowulf:
<b> Thundercat was a really good pilot back in the day. I wonder what happened to him.

</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last thing I remember he started a family and that was the last time I heard from him.
Gavotte
Catcher of the cliché
Catcher of the cliché

Post by Gavotte »

Ferno are you aware that sickone has made it clear that people who bump up topics will be banned for a unforgiving amount of time?

I'm also a stuck up brown noser that doesn't give a damn about any of you.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Gav are you aware that Sickone hasnt been online in months? If he was, we would be using the new DBB by now. Image
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Gav are you aware that happens when it adds nothing to a forum?
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

awesome avitar Daniel Image