Confessions of a car salesman

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Confessions of a car salesman

Post by Vindicator »

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/ar ... ticle.html

Edmunds sent an editor undercover to work at a couple car dealerships to see how they operate. Long read, but interesting.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Damn, after reading that I feel like I need a shower.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

yeah... some slimy stuff there... but definitely some people who are less slimy than others.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I am taking a negotiation class right now. It is interesting to see some of the techniques and theories we have learned being used in another context.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

To me, trying to hold a $1500 profit on a $25,000 purchase is much less "slimy" than the plumber who charges you $500 for 45 minutes work. He knows you'll pay or have to go to the gas station to take a ★■◆●. I really think car salespeople get a bad rap. In any type of business there are good honest people and there are snakes.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Hey Pun, great avatar. I love that movie.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Another profession I would never find myself doing.

Pretty slimy stuff. The racial stereotypes are disgusting as well.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

the article is sh*t, the guy went into the dealership with an agenda and he got the results that he wanted to get not looking at the other side, I work at a mega dealership ( I manage the bodyshop ) and have no love for salesmen, they will promise the moon to get a sale, THATS SALES and its not limited to the auto industry, the guy was hired by a magazine to go dig up as much dirt as he could, so he went in biased and that EXACTLY how his article comes across, maybe he got a bad dealership I dont know, I do know that at our store Tonkin Honda in Portland, 1 of 16 dealerships and 22 car lines in the corporation. the sales managers want happy customers, happy customers come back. screwed customers do not. we give away thousands of dollars in free parts and labor every month that we could charge customers for but we dont. this is not an example of reporting a story. it an example of making a story and its SH*T through and through :roll:
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

I'm with cuda. I worked at a small chevy dealership as a salesman for 5 years when I was a kid. The most successful sales reps were experts in product knowledge and could get in touch with a customer's needs. There was very little underhanded stuff going on. If someone was caught messing with the numbers or trying to cheat someone, they were fired. The fact is, most cars that we sold went out the door at less than 10% markup, and lots of times, we gave the cars away for the invoice price. That doesn't mean that they werent making any money on the cars. There's something called "holdback", which is about 8% that never gets given away, unless it's a demonstrator model or a car that was ordered wrong (ie with no air conditioning). But for the most part, there's very little profit in new cars to begin with. I'd venture a guess to say that on an entry level car like a Dodge Neon, there's somewhere in the nieghborhood of $700 that can be discounted (not counting rebates and special financing). So is selling the car to a customer for sticker price to be considered ripping someone off? I dont think so. $700 bucks on a $12,000 item to me is a less than fair profit margin.

The real criminals are the manufacturers. Even back when I was selling cars, the new models would come out and you'd notice the sticker price went up by $500, but the invoice price went up by $700, thus decreasing the profit margin for the dealers to work with. It's a way of getting people to think the car didn't go up so much in price, when actually it did. Another money maker for the manufacturers are the "preferred equipment packages". lets say you want leather seats in your car. In some cases, in order to get the leather seats, you have to buy a $3000 package that includes a sunroof and other crap you might not want. It's a way of forcing the customer to buy more options.

I knew many car sales reps. Most of them were family men that were just trying to make an honest living. Once in a while, you'd run across a snake, but for the most part, I think that this stereotype is a gross misconception. As I mentioned in my other post, what about the plumber or appliance repair guy that has you under his thumb and is charging $110 an hour to fix your dishwasher as well as marking the parts up 100%? Car buying guides are a dime a dozen. It's so easy to get a good deal on a new car. But try negotiating with the furnace repair man and see how far you get.

Personally, I think cars should sell for the price on the sticker. Why does have to be like buying chickens at a bazaar in New Delhi?

Oh, and JMeat. Dont think for an instant that racial stereotyping is unique to car dealerships. That happens with everyone from mortgage brokers, to cab drivers, to pizza delivery guys.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I've never had the pleasure of working sales, so I don't understand on the level someone who has would. If you have what it takes to do that on a daily basis, good for you. I don't think I could lie to people and actively deceive them...

You gotta do what you gotta do to feed the family and pay the bills though.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Now who's stereotyping, JMEat? There's where the misunderstanding comes into play. You dont have to lie to be good at sales. I'd reckon some sales reps lie to compensate for their lack of skill, but well trained sales professionals dont have to lie or decieve anyone. You've probably bulls**ted your own mother more than a good sales rep would bulls**t you.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

punisher wrote:Now who's stereotyping, JMEat? There's where the misunderstanding comes into play. You dont have to lie to be good at sales. I'd reckon some sales reps lie to compensate for their lack of skill, but well trained sales professionals dont have to lie or decieve anyone. You've probably bulls**ted your own mother more than a good sales rep would bulls**t you.
Mmmhmm. I was referring to the article's take on car sales. I didn't mean to imply all sales positions are like that. Cool down there buddy.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Actually, if you toughed it out through the entire article it wasn't overly disparaging toward salesfolks, but rather the managers putting the fear of God in them. Commission-only gigs suck.
Wang_Lo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Wang_Lo »

lol, me and vindi went to a few dealers today, and looked around. a few of those "tricks" were used like telling us how good the mileage was.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

bash wrote:Actually, if you toughed it out through the entire article it wasn't overly disparaging toward salesfolks, but rather the managers putting the fear of God in them. Commission-only gigs suck.
That depends on how motivated you are. If you're a pro, they'll be kissing your ass and buying you dinner. I always enjoyed not having a limit on my income. Even today, as an entrepreneur, my income is directly related to my management skills. I like it this way.
Wang_Lo wrote:lol, me and vindi went to a few dealers today, and looked around. a few of those "tricks" were used like telling us how good the mileage was.
How is pointing out the the benefits of a product a "trick"?
Wang_Lo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Wang_Lo »

punisher wrote:
bash wrote:Actually, if you toughed it out through the entire article it wasn't overly disparaging toward salesfolks, but rather the managers putting the fear of God in them. Commission-only gigs suck.
That depends on how motivated you are. If you're a pro, they'll be kissing your *** and buying you dinner. I always enjoyed not having a limit on my income. Even today, as an entrepreneur, my income is directly related to my management skills. I like it this way.
Wang_Lo wrote:lol, me and vindi went to a few dealers today, and looked around. a few of those "tricks" were used like telling us how good the mileage was.
How is pointing out the the benefits of a product a "trick"?

actually that is why i put it in "" so called "tricks"
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

LOL Cuda..

you obviously have never bought a car down on McLaughlin. ;)

That street is so slimy, they need to lay degreaser down twice day. :lol:
Wang_Lo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Wang_Lo »

well here is how i look at it, as a consumer we gotta fight the good fight, try to beat the system and make off with a little more money, the seller, is fighting their own war, trying to keep us consumers from stealing the whole dealership.

Quite frankly folks, we got bills to pay and mouths to feed, if it is legal by all means have at it!
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Duper wrote:LOL Cuda..

Here in Chicago theres a mile long strip of south Western Avenue that's filled with seedy used car dealerships full of $500 junkers with $2000 price tags on em. In the car biz they call that the mudlot district. If there's any underhanded stuff going on in the car business, it's happening there. God knows who would buy from them or how they survive. But like they say in the car biz, "There's an ass for every seat." Completely different animal from a reputable car dealership, however.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Colfax blvd in Denver is the same way. a couple miles..well.. about 10, of car lots and tatoo parlors. :P

To Cuda's credit, he works for a very reputable car dealer here in town in thier shop. They do a very good business and sell the full spectrum of price ranges. From the rare and elite to the Hyandai.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Duper wrote:LOL Cuda..

stay away from Thomason then you homo :P