Wifi question

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Wifi question

Post by Bonz »

I was wondering if this is possible and if so how?

I have a laptop and tcp/ip printer hooked up to wireless router 1. The rest of the network resides behind wireless router 2 including internet.
I need the laptop And the printer to be seen on the rest of the network with out hardwiring the 2 wifi routers together?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

why do you have two wifi routers?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Use the uplink port on router 1 to connect on router 2 or try going through the wireless.

Hook the laptop to the router that has the PC with the printer on it.
Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

fliptw wrote:why do you have two wifi routers?
Router 1 is just used for our HP Designjet 5500. I need to keep it as portable as possible so hardwiring that router is out of the question.
The problem I'm running into is that everytime I have to pull something from the servers I have to switch between routers, It get quite annoying after a few times. I'm just looking for a simple solution if their is one.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

you didn't need a full router just for the printer, a wireless bridge would've worked well enough.
Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

is it possible to use this router as a bridge?
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Should be able to if you turn off all server-like aspects of it. i.e. no dhcp server, no NAT, etc.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

I think you need more clarification. Do you mean you have one wireless router with internet and the other is only lan (ie. no internet access)? If you want them to be able to communicate you will have to connect them in some way. You coult make one wireless router be a wireless client and connect wirelessly to the other router. Don't know if you could make it a bridge though, you might have to read up on the firmware to figure that out. But as far as I know you can't make a wireless router into a bridge, closest thing is by doing NAT.