Deceptive Ads

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Deceptive Ads

Post by snoopy »

It seems to me that ads are getting more and mroe deceptive by the day. There is an add on the local radio that has been airing. It opens by saying "if DSL where a car, it would sound like this" followed by the sound of a sputtering car. Then they say "and this is what cablelynx cable internet would sound like" followed by the sound of a revving engine. It continues to state that cable modem can be up to 7 times faster than DSL and whatever time faster than dialup. Finally, they claim that it's "affordable" without making any comparison to DSL, and claim that their service visits don't cost anything, in the end claiming that they have speed, cost, and service over DSL.

The Ad annoys me to no end. They are purposefully targetting hicks who don't know any better, (it airs on a country station) they quote carefully tailored statistics, and then make the blanket claim that they are better because of multiple reasons, all of which are at least questionable. Is it ethical to lure people into buying something based on only partially true statements, basically preying on their innocence? I don't know... it just annoys me... (The whole gotta have wireless things gets to me, too, but that's not really E&C material)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

is it ethical? of course not.

it's capitalism, you fought WARS for this. enjoy
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

lol roid.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Welcome to Earth.

Snop, I hate this crap also but there is nothing we can do.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Lol at Roidy X 2
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

The problem is, roid is right.

I find that both sad and amusing.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Well, cable is superior to DSL in terms of speed. There's nothing deceptive about the ad if indeed their service visits are free and the service is cheaper than DSL.

But in general, I agree that ads have become more and more deceptive over the past few years.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

The problem is, the add itself is acting to help make their statistics false. I'm not saying they are said anything that we technically wrong, but at the same time, the actual internet speed that the user will see isn't going to match the stastics 95% of the time. It's just annoying that people buy whatever they are told is good when it comes to computers, because they don't know any better, so companies prey on it. BTW, if they made an untrue claim, I think the goverment at least could force them to take it off air, right?
CORD
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CORD »

Snoopy did/are you posting this using a Dell or some other commercial brand computer? If so, then you might have been taken by slick marketing too. Most times, building a computer yourself costs less and has higher quality components too. But the hype is that these commercially built computers use high end components when in actuallity they are low bid, mass produced parts.

Just my .02 cents adjusted for inflation/recession.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Look at the wording, Snoopy, it's all quite straightforward.

"...cable modem can be up to 7 times faster than DSL..."

Well, that's perfectly true. Cable can get up to 7x faster. The public, proudly displaying a lack of basic comprehension, completely disregards the bolded words and reads it as "...cable modem is 7 times faster than DSL..." Who's fault is that? Capitalism only really takes advantage of the uneducated.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

CORD wrote:Snoopy did/are you posting this using a Dell or some other commercial brand computer? If so, then you might have been taken by slick marketing too. Most times, building a computer yourself costs less and has higher quality components too. But the hype is that these commercially built computers use high end components when in actuallity they are low bid, mass produced parts.

Just my .02 cents adjusted for inflation/recession.
Nope. Self built.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Testiculese wrote:Capitalism only really takes advantage of the uneducated.
while also making an aggressive effort to miseducate everyone.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Well, some, yea. But otherwise, not really. Companies always try to put their best face forward. People do it every day. You never put anything negative in your resume, do you? Couldn't that be considered 'deceptive'?
All people have to do is do a little thinking, and avoid the companies that aren't that great. Apparently, thinking is pretty rare. Looks what's popular!

(I wish commercials weren't designed for the lowest common denominator. I can't stand listening to the radio. I don't even program stations into the memory buttons. TV is even worse 'cause you're visually assaulted as well.)
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Personally, the drug ads where they tout the sunshiney benefits of some kind of drug and then the fatal consequences are more humorous.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i like the ones for allergies that have the side effects listed in the last 3 seconds of the commercial in a nice friendly voice

"side effects include mildirritationheadachesnauseastomachcrampsbleedingfromtheanusmildskinrashandnosebleeds"

all of that to not have the sniffles. makes ya wonder why people buy those things.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

What about the antidepressants with a massive list of side effects, including complete cessation of sexual function? Wouldn't that just make you more depressed? :P
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Testiculese wrote:Look at the wording, Snoopy, it's all quite straightforward.

"...cable modem can be up to 7 times faster than DSL..."

Well, that's perfectly true. Cable can get up to 7x faster. The public, proudly displaying a lack of basic comprehension, completely disregards the bolded words and reads it as "...cable modem is 7 times faster than DSL..." Who's fault is that? Capitalism only really takes advantage of the uneducated.
Spot on.

On the issue you have with the Ad being playing only on country stations, that is called targeting a specific market. There is nothing wrong or unethical about it. Every company does it. If they didn't, none would stay in business very long.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

The ads go both ways here. Both medias take stabs at the other. Is it annoying? Yes. Do I have the ability to change the radio station? Yes. :P
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Deceptive Ads

Post by Duper »

snoopy wrote: It continues to state that cable modem can be up to 7 times faster than DSL and whatever time faster than dialup.
This is thier "out". Sure.. this includes the highest end cable against the low end DSL but it is still "true". :roll: If kinda falls under "buyer beware."

ANd yes, exagerassions are illegal in advertising if it's misleading... but try to prove it in court. Do you have that kinda money to make a point to a company? ... I don't. And that's what's why it's "allowed".

I'm not sure what the finer points are like do you need to prove that it caused some kind of "damage" or not ...etc.
BfDiDDy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BfDiDDy »

kurupt wrote:bleedingfromtheanus
dirty
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

snoopy wrote:It seems to me that ads are getting more and mroe deceptive by the day...
Yeah, try reading some old newspapers (1800's). All kinds of deceptive claims for cure-alls and treatments of all sorts. A real hoot.

Conclusion: there is nothing new under the sun.

So be a revolution of one and don't buy their product, service, etc. Write to the advertiser, etc and tell them what you find objectionable about their ad. Probably won't change anything, but you never know.
Hahnenkam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hahnenkam »

There is a relatively new tendency for television ads to use an attention-getting alarm clock at the beginning of the ad. It kickstarts my heart everytime I hear it.

I boycott every product that uses the tactic . . . well, every one I can remember :roll:
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Duper wrote:exagerassions are illegal in advertising if it's misleading... but try to prove it in court. Do you have that kinda money to make a point to a company? ... I don't. And that's what's why it's "allowed".
don't you guys have a government body that handles this kindof stuff on the consumers' behalf?

here in oz we have the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission). very powerful body.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

We have the Better Business Bureau. It's as helpful and uncorrupted as the IRS!
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Hahnenkam wrote:There is a relatively new tendency for television ads to use an attention-getting alarm clock at the beginning of the ad. It kickstarts my heart everytime I hear it.
You too?? I thought it was just me...
Hahnenkam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hahnenkam »

DCrazy wrote:You too?? I thought it was just me...
I hate it . . . scares the crap out of me every time.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

What's worse is they all seem to use the sound from my alarm clock. It could be 4 in the afternoon and a commercial will come on the radio and I'll jump out of my seat thinking "★■◆● GOTTA WAKE UP SHOWER CATCH TRAIN OH MY GOD IT'S JUST A COMMERCIAL".
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I've never been bothered by that alarm clock, other than being annoyed by the cheesy infomercial that inevitably follows. You guys need to start waking up to music. :P
Hahnenkam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hahnenkam »

Top Gun wrote:You guys need to start waking up to music. :P
Then it would be like Clockwork Orange. I would hear the song that woke me up that morning, then start writhing in pain.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Ok, I got one of those ads in the mail. Read the fine print! That is how they get away with it. The TV ads have it too, it's just impossible to read it. :

Fine Print wrote: Offer ends April 30, 2005. Price listed includes $10/month multi-product discount fro Comcast Cable TV customers. Non-Cable TV customers. Non-CableTV customers will be billed $29.99/ mo for the first 3 months. Equipment is required and is not included in prices shown. Modem leased is an additional $3/mo. Offer not available with any other discount, or to current or business customers. Not available in all areas. After promotion, regualr rates apply. Comcast High-speed Internet is current priced at $52.95/month. Customers who also subscribe to Comcast cable TV will receive a $10/month multi-product discount, reducing the price of internet service to $42.95/month. Free installation Kit available to qualifying active cable TV customers only. Non-cable TV homes require professional installation. Professional installation will be discounted $50. Call for details. Prices shown do not include applicable taxes and fees Service is subject to terms and conditions of Comcast High-Speed Subscriber Agreement. ^Speed comparisons are for downloads only and are compared to 640K DSL and 56K dail-up. Actual speeds vary and are not guaranteed. Not all applications and features are conpatible with Macintosh systems. Video Mail requires a webcam. Home Networking requires the leare or purchase of additional equippment. ©2005 Comcast. All rights reserved.

Now on the front of this ad in HUGE letters:$19.99 per month for 3 months

on the back there is a number of things but most notibly a picture of a large flat panel with "Blazing Fast 4000Kbps" across from a small flat panel with "Only Up To 640 Kbps"

Then below all that is a selction of stuff that you need to have stuff already for to do. .. like Video e-mail. (Send me a 20mb file in my e-mail and i'll kick someones but.)Photoshow, home networking.. disney connection. ... :roll: whatever. Personally, I've found my DSL connection to be more relable.