At the 2001 Baptist Creation Science Fair:

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

At the 2001 Baptist Creation Science Fair:

Post by Nightshade »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">
1st Place: â??Life Doesnâ??t Come From Non-Lifeâ?
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

Wow... Catholics never cease to amaze you.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Creation science.

oxymoron.

Also, let's write off the whole evolution theroy by putting basic elements in a jar for three weeks. Sorry hon, but it takes life a little longer than that to get going.

the honorable mention part is just plain screwey. Guess what. rocks aren't alive.
SolidAir
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by SolidAir »

TB, I resent your statement about homeschooling.

I was homeschooled from first grade through highschool. I wasn't a 'special' child, my parents just felt that my sister and I were not getting the right education at private school. Let me be the first to say that homeschooling has not only taught me a lot about the general education subjects that all receive in public school, but I have also learned how to learn effectively. (Making college very easy for me.) And one might talk about the socialization one acquires through homeschooling, but that is a non-issue. I wrote a research paper on the concerns of many about homeschooling and I would be more than happy to provide you with information.

What makes you think you can get on your high horse and talk about homeschooling like that?

Also, do you honestly think that life can form from non-living elements? Is there something about the elements that once put together, they make life?

Matt
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

No Matt - but the fact we are here is the most sure evidence that life came from non-life. The only questions is "how"? I say "Chemistry and Physics". (Whether that chemistry and Physics was directed by some sort of supreme being is neither here nor there.)

The interesting part of the story in my view, is at what point do self-assembling proteins rate as life rather than chemistry? Because pretty soon we're going to have to decide whether our own creations qualify as "life". (I say "Yes - otherwise they'll get very upset.")
aldel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by aldel »

Linkage

This was just too funny to only read an exerpt.

The introduction by Dr. Paley is hilarious, unintentionally of course. The first place, elementary school level, is actually funny on purpose. The second place, middle school level, shocked me back to reality and made me start to consider buying a case of Dennett's Darwin's Dangerous Idea and sending a copy to each of these kids, plus Dr. Paley. The high school winners are both comforting and scary because they show the kids becoming more sophisticated.

I want to rent a couple of the videos mentioned at the bottom. They sound... entertaining.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

That is pathetically scary. No wonder these people are so stupid.
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

it's also a satire.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Nitrofox125:
Wow... Catholics never cease to amaze you.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WTF are you talking about... we Catholics believe in evolution. Christian Scientists don't believe in medicine, let alone Darwin.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Shhhhhh, Scorch, let the Brain Trust bask in it's intellectual superiority. I have faith they'll figure it out eventually. Image
aldel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by aldel »

I take everything back. The following paragraph has converted me.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">
Some have criticized my stance on triclavianism as being counterproductive, arguing that making a point of doctrinal contention over not making a point of doctrinal contention over adiaphora is itself non-salvific. However, my critics are overlooking the dangers of triclavianistic doctrines: allowing adiaphora to creep into our credenda -- while possibly pushing the theologoumenic envelope and providing exciting new opportunities for supererogative works -- will most often serve to muddy the soteriological foundation of Faith, leading in general to ultramontane excesses and, in extreme cases, ebaptization (which is unacceptable pastoral malpractice, however rare it may be.) Doctrinal integrity, and hence salvific effectiveness, is best served by working to end triclavianism and similar erroneous, or simply adiaphoric, doctrines.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

<font face="Arial" size="3">WTF are you talking about... we Catholics believe in evolution.</font>
Nothing personal meant... Just all of the creationists I know in my school are Catholics... I just like to tease them about it.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

doublepostmonster
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Who's dumber, the make-believe sixth grader or the person who fell for it? Image
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

haha. all a joke huh. Here i was thinking that people can be that dumb. LOL
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

This thread has a nasty undertone.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

The sad part is there are plenty of people that make that site completely plausible.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

That is one scary website. Even the titles of those "research projects" made me feel like I had wandered into the Twilight Zone. It's truly sad that some people are so ignorant of basic scientific principles and what they mean.

Nitrofox, as DCrazy said, the people you met are absolutely no reflection on the stance of the Catholic Church regarding evolution, or science in general. It truly surprises me that all of the creationists you know are Catholics. I attend a Catholic high school, and my entire AP Biology curriculum has evolution as its core. Compare this to what the kids on that website are learning...pretty sad. Image
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Top Gun:
I attend a Catholic high school, and my entire AP Biology curriculum has evolution as its core.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto, except I wasn't in the AP Bio class. Image

Nitro, I don't know what kind of "Catholics" the people you're referring to think that they are. Besides, fundamentalists usually refer to themselves as "Christians". Catholocism is one step away from Judaism in their minds, what with our whole organization and belief in tradition and all. To each their own I guess.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Top Gun:
I attend a Catholic high school, and my entire AP Biology curriculum has evolution as its core.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ditto, only no ap