Schiavo dies.

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Does the system work?

Yes. It works.
55%
No. It needs to be fixed.
45%

Total votes: 20
Zoop!
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Schiavo dies.

Post by Zoop! »

Yay, another Schiavo thread!

Now there are a lot of people who are promising new rules, laws, etc. that will prevent something like this from happening again. What do you think should happen?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Based on what I believe to be true in this case, and that's obviously a weak foundation but it's all we have, so...

I definitely think the system is broken, but perhaps not the "system" you had in mind.

For example, the press was letting people, pundits, politicians, activists, celebrities,etc. describe her condition as if she just had the heart failure and if only she could get therapy she could be saved etc. etc.

Sorry folks, about fifteen years too late, her brain had turned to mush, she was dead a long time ago!
This whole battle should have been fought then.

Her husband may well be the only innocent person in this whole debacle. Or he may well be guilty of abusing her into a state of self destruction that led to her collapse and he shut down any hope of recovery by refusing proper care.

Either way though, he got the court to recognize his interpretation of Terrys wishes and once that happened their was no appealing the "case", no new 'finding of fact' so the appeals courts and supreme courts etc. could only review the process that was followed in the courtroom and finding no flaws in the transcripts they couldn't overturn anything.

That's the way the system was designed and it works pretty good. The broken part is where politicians and their ilk can rush in and play 'Weekend at Terry's' propping up her braindead body to joust back and forth for the press who only cares about ratings, they lost their ability to refuse a non-story a long time ago....right about when Ted Turner gave us the 24 hour news cycle.

So, if you want to fix the broken system make FCC turn of the TV everynight around midnight and limit news to two one hour presentations per day. That will cause the face-time whores in washington to crawl back under their rocks a little more often and tell the talking heads to hit the unemployment line.

If I was Terry I'd be coming back as a zombie and haunting the lot of them for torturing my carcass in their necro-posing-photo-opportunities!
And if you think I'm wrong because God told you otherwise then please bring me the transcript because I'm having a hard time lately trusting his messengers.

It's not God I have a problem with, it's his fan club that worries me!
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Parties at trial need to prove that there is a need for the presence of media at a trial.

If it wasn't for the media coverage, Congress wouldn't have gotten invovled, and it would've possibly denied the Schindlers a canvas to maniuplate the situation.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

You forgot the most important poll option:

I don't give a flying fusk!
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Mobius wrote:You forgot the most important poll option:

I don't give a flying fusk!
No he didn't, people who don't care can not post. ;)

My personal opinion is the woman should have been handed over to her parents. But I do not believe the government should have power to forcefully do that.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

as morbid as this may sound, Im glad shes finally gone so we can have an end to this media circus thats been strung up around her.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I agree with Will.
CNN Article wrote:The Schiavo case fired fierce passions among right-to-life activists. Michael Schiavo, his lawyer George Felos and the statejudge who presided over the case for years, George Greer, have all received death threats.
Does anyone else find stuff like this funny?

Full CNN Article
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah I found that amusing as well Ty.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

oh boo hoo hoo.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

finally she gets some peace.