RIP John Paul II

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

RIP John Paul II

Post by Top Wop »

:cry:

According to 5 mins ago, he is finally resting.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

God bless you, Karol Wojtyla!
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

My bad, its a false report by the same agency that reported that he was in coma which wasnt true. >:(

But given the obvious, he will go soon, and I still keep my RIP for him.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

I don't think he's popped his clogs yet, but is well on the way. As a leader i thought he was a pretty cool bloke, regardless of what i think of the Catholic faith.

One of those constants that one's had throughout one's life without being directly affected by him, rather like Cliff Richard or Ali.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

As cold as this sounds, in all honesty I wish he just die and get it over with so this "deathwatch" obsession the media currently has can finally go to bed.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

No web site says he's died. Just in declining health.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

I don't believe in God but I feel bad that the Pope is dying. He was a good man that tried to bring peace to the world. :cry:

Long live the pope.

Bettina
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Ah, yes -- and preaching against birth control. Etc..

Edit: Just cought up on the news, a lot officials say they expect him to die today -- so he will, if he's ready or not.. RIP.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

thanx for the pre-pre-report of the death of pope john paul II that everyone that has any news access on the on the planet is aware of. i was thinking of using google news but i'll take the dbb with it's field reporter top wop.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Heh, nice find Lothar.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

anyone wanna put up a 10 spot that he'll live until at least monday? (last i heard they say he wont make it through the weekend)
Zoop!
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Zoop! »

Im sure he'll make it through to Saturday morning, local time, just to make us suffer from the media.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

he was really miffed about Schiavo upstaging him
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Some of these new reports are getting my nerves a little bit. A man is in bed dying, and we got these bozos telling every one they donâ??t believe in god or Iâ??m not part of this religion. Who even cares what they believe in. Idiots.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Two sides to every coin there, Tiger. And sometimes three or four. In that case it would be a many sided die.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

NOW He's gone.

lucky guy!
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

One of the greatest promoters of peace and social justice that the world has ever known has finally been called home. May God keep you in His care, John Paul. We here on Earth are better off for your life. You didn't make "sto lat," but you came close. :cry:
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Anyone else understand what Top Gun just said? I don't speak sheep ;)
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

I can't believe he died... how sad... :(
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Posted by a Catholic friend elsewhere:

---------

It's very fitting, in a way, that the Pope died on the evening before the second Sunday of Easter: as a result, most of the readings and hymns in Catholic churches --and other churches that use the common lectionary, of course-- this weekend would have been focused on the resurrection of Christ and our own hope of the resurrection anyway. I think that makes it little easier to focus on the Pope's death as a source of joy as well as sorrow. The second reading in the lectionary seemed particularly appropriate to me:

"Reading II
1 Pt 1:3-9

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
who in his great mercy gave us a new birth to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading,
kept in heaven for you who by the power of God are safeguarded through faith, to a salvation that is ready to be revealed in the final time.
In this you rejoice, although now for a little while
you may have to suffer through various trials,
so that the genuineness of your faith,
more precious than gold that is perishable even though tested by fire,
may prove to be for praise, glory, and honor
at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
Although you have not seen him you love him;
even though you do not see him now yet believe in him,
you rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy,
as you attain the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls. " (NAB)
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

I have always like Pope John Paul II, since I was a child. He did great things to bring peace. I am very sad to see him go, but I am happy to know that he is in a better place now.
Rest in peace, Pope John Paul II.

By the way, this thread is for paying respects to a great man. Should there be any criticism, start a different thread. Leave this one alone.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Well he has really kicked the bucket now. RIP JP2
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Title: RIP Pope John II
Y'know... someone should just remove this thread. Apparently the replies are no longer concerning the topic, but getting on to each other. :evil:
Jeez, can't we all just get along? :roll:
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Tyranny wrote:Anyone else understand what Top Gun just said? I don't speak sheep ;)
I am no sheep, at least not in the sense that you mean, and I'm insulted that you would call me so. I believe what I do out of my own free will and reasoning; this is the source of true faith. Having religious faith does not imply lack of intelligence or rational thought; I believe that Lothar and Drakona, among others, have provided more than enough evidence of that here. In a certain sense, however, I'm not insulted by what you say; it's all right for me to be a sheep, so long as I'm following the Good Shepherd.

As for Whuppinboy, you are an absolutely disgusting piece of slime. If I had any power at all to ban you, I would without a moment's thought or regret. If you're too blind or utterly stupid to recognize the accomplishments of a man who did more than anyone else over the past twenty-five years to promote peace and justice for all people, you've forfeit any right to speak here.

This board is utterly ridiculous sometimes. Someone starts a thread about the death of the Pope, and half of the people here start spewing anti-Catholicism and other idiotic statements. Apparently, some members of this board haven't quite yet reached the level of civilized human beings.

Edit: I may have been a bit too harsh, but to me, this feels like losing a close family member. Imagine having one of your grandparents die and then seeing them being maligned; that's what it feels like to me. If you don't have something civil to say, please, just stay out of the thread.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I dont understand why one or two individuals always have to ruin a whole thread. As usual its only one person who's causing trouble and a ban is therefore in order.

Whippinboy, you are a total ignorant jerk. If you read a page of history you would realize what kind of impact JPII had in Poland in regards to the solidarity movement and therefore the fall of communism. Can we please get back on topic and be a bit more civilized and not thread-crap?

Top Gun: I think Tyranny was reffering to "Sto Lat". Its a common Polish phrase which means "100 years", wishing someone to live at a ripe age of 100. It comes from a chant when said at a person's birthday.

Anyway, im very proud of my Polish background, he has left a significant mark on the world and he was an example of the best of what Poland had to offer with its Catholic history. I only hope that his sucessor will not screw up the church like they did in the 60's.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

No Top Wop, you're wrong. I wasn't refering to anything specific. Based on Top Gun's posts in E&C and this one I poked a little fun at him based on his beliefs.

I swear, an influential man is dead but some of you guys need to lighten up. Sheesh...
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Offending posts split and moved.

If you can't bother to show a little respect, then STFU and hit the back button. There is absolutely NO need for what was posted in this thread at all. If thats the best you can do, then I suggest you cease posting here and go somewhere else. Whether or not you liked the pope is irrelevant. This is NOT the place to debate anything. For crying out loud! A man of great influence just passed away, and you want to make asses of yourselves? Grow up you cowards.

Now, I'm leaving this thread open for those of you that want to say something constructive or meaningful. I will not tolerate any further threadcrapping. PERIOD.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

JMEaT wrote:Two sides to every coin there, Tiger. And sometimes three or four. In that case it would be a many sided die.
I'll keep this brief, some of these reports and news reporters did light a fire under me at first. Fine they can believe what ever they want to. But I could care less about someoneâ??s pointless opinions or smartass remarks. Some of it was uncalled for. I was watching for one reason to keep up to date on the John Paul.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

MD-2389 wrote:Offending posts split and moved.
Making Top *'s posts both look out of place... heh
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

You're right, Lothar; that's the one negative consequence of using the split function. :P

Top Wop, I'm well-aware of the meaning of that phrase, considering my family has sung the song at every family birthday since I was born. :) Having some Polish blood in me made John Paul's papacy seem all the more special.

Tyranny, I know your intentions were lighthearted, but as I said above, to a lot of people around the world, today was like losing a close member of the family. I never met John Paul II, nor even seen him in person, but there's a very real part of me that feels like I knew him well. He had that effect on a lot of people. My mother still remembers when he visited Philadelphia in 1979; over a million people attended the open-door Mass he held in Logan Circle. No one else alive today has that type of influence; John Paul II was seen in person by more people than any other person in history. He was definitely one of the greatest popes in the 2000-year history of the Church.
Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Asrale »

Not that I mean to sound ignorant but what did John Paul II do as man, on this world? If anyone knows how he contributed to anything please let me know; otherwise I can only contribute apathy to the fact of his passing. As a non-Catholic I have no knowledge of what he did that was significant. (Not trying to make any religious implications, just an honest question here.)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Do a google search for "Karol Wojtyla" (his birth name).

As I mentioned in a post that got moved (*grumble grumble*):

1) When he was a Cardinal in Poland, he just kept pushing the Soviets to give more religious freedom there (for Catholics and others), and eventually they did. The situation in Poland -- both in terms of religious freedom and economic freedom (which was obtained by other reformers) -- was very important in leading to the fall of the Soviet Union.

2) He spent a lot of his life travelling to whatever country would have him, and he'd speak out against bad governments (sometimes at great risk to himself) and for freedom for people. He was a consistant and strong advocate for the poor and oppressed worldwide. He had no qualms with giving various national leaders an earful, regardless of who they were, when their nation's policy was out of line.

3) He did a lot to contribute to understanding between Protestants, Catholics, and Jews. (I'd consider this both a religious issue and a social issue.)

Overall, he was just a really good leader. I'm not Catholic, but I really respected him.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I don't agree with the Catholic doctrine in the least, and I've heard so many bizarre things about John Paul II that I'm not really sure what to think any more.

But I do know he was a very significant man, for more reasons than most people can lay claim to. I don't have a good memory of what he accomplished, but it looks like we have Lothar for that. :)

Honestly I think his death may have been a little overdue; he seemed painfully unable to do much of anything for the last few years. But that's the way it goes, and for a reason I assume...

It will be interesting to see what happens under the next Pope...
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

There're families alive in Israel today as a direct result of the man helping during the holocaust.
[DWL]Punk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [DWL]Punk »

wow, the internet is just evil crazy now.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Kesher is the Hebrew word for "connection". Just a BTW.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I figured it was the name of a Hebrew gathering place... I'd heard it used in that context a couple times.