Devil XP patch availabe! (made by me :) )

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Devil XP patch availabe! (made by me :) )

Post by Pumo »

If there is some Devil users here and want to use it in Windows XP, i made a patch to achieve this.
Here is the link:
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/pumosof ... evilXP.zip

It works perfectly to me. I hope it will serve you well :) .
(If the link doesn't work, click it with the right button and select "Save target as...").
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Hmm, my Devil already works with XP. :wink:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

D'oh, fierce competition ahead! I could never get accustomed to DEVIL, but there have been ppl who preferred it over DMB2 for whatever reason ... :roll: :wink:

What does DEVIL have DLE-XP doesn't :?:
MORG
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by MORG »

The link doesn't work. Post a different link for it please. I need it!! :)

Nevermind..link does work with right click save target as like he said...I should learn to read...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I have just taken a look into D.E.V.I.L. - and decided to stick with DLE-XP. It is awkward and complicated to use. I tried it on a huge and pretty sophisticated level, and it was really hard to stay inside the level - and outside you don't see anything except a wireframe (if at all).
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Well, although is true that DLE-XP is some ways better than Devil, i feel devil is more comfortable to use and excelent for fast level design.

Anyway, for the people who wants to use Devil on XP, this is the solution.
In fact, is a very simple solution, since the patch consists of some batch files slightly modified to work with XP.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Each to their own I guess. :) When I looked at Devil, it struck me as hideously awkward to do anything of significance with...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Yeah. Anyway, lots of ppl liked Devil, and Pumo did a good job in making it run on WinXP. :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Agreed... a good part of the level designers I know use Devil. Actually, possibly most of them do... so this would be useful to them... otherwise - Devil DID work on XP, but it wasn't too easy to get to...
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

It seems difficult at start, but Devil can be very friendly when you get used to it (but of course, I would sugest to use Lars Christensen version).

Anyway, this little patch will help to ppl that don't have figured yet how to configure this editor in XP.

Well, I hope this patch becomes useful with time :).
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I'm getting a "corrupted ZIP" error whenever I try to open the file.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

What I liked most about Devil was that you flew around the mine very much like you would in the game itself. The navigation controls are just like flying the Pyro. DMB2/DLE-XP take more of a God's-eye-view approach where you're often seeing things from a distance. I always found it hard to make dense levels with DLE-XP. The view warping is pretty drastic and there are a few clipping issues with polys appearing in front of other polys (probably a z-buffering issue somewhere). The other thing DMB2 always did I found awkward was how it decoupled rotation from scale. If you were zoomed in on something and then rotated the view, the whole level would swing around based on some axis faraway instead of always basing the rotation axis on the camera position.

Devil also had a vastly superior curve generator for a time, although Descent Blocker Builder II was a big boost for DMB2. DMB2, however, was always better at cut/paste/import operations. DMB2 also let you see the mine with textures. Although Devil sortof let you do this, I don't think it's possible to see the whole mine textured... just the immediate cubes.

Though, given that I've forgotten most of Devil, it'd probably be more alien for me today than DLE-XP is. :) But I'm happy to try this.

EDIT: Ooh, this brings back memories and I got used to the controls really quickly. ;) Too bad it only seems to run in 640x480 (higher resolutions crash) and you can't work with Windows (Devil dominates the taskbar). Hmm, it's a really great springboard though!
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

If someone who did manage to get an uncorrupted version of the file could send it to me, I'd greatly appreciate it. That way, I'd be able to get it posted on PD.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Check your mail, Top Gun.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Much obliged. :)
MORG
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by MORG »

How about a version for windows 2000? Can anyone tell me how to get devil to work under win 2k?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

This one doesn't work? Win2k and WinXP are fundamentally not that different...
MORG
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by MORG »

Ok I got it to work...I just had to change the desktop resulution to 640x480 then suddenly it worked...strange but ok ;)
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

If that's the case, then enable the compatibility tab and right click the Devil batch file. Go to the compatibility tab and select "Run in 640x480," so that you don't have to run your desktop resolution so low otherwise.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

And i think the resoultion problem was present only on my PC.

Well, then i must upgrade the Readme file to point this resolution problem.
BTW Top Gun,I don't know why it get corrupted, but if you are having more problems, you could use some Download Manager like Flashget.
But well, since Kyoryuu is sending you the file by E-Mail, then i think there will be no more problems :) .

Ah, and thanks to all for the comments :wink: .

EDIT: Almost forgot, i'm working on simplified batch files to see if they work on W2k. I receive an E-Mail saying that it works well on XP but not on 2K.
Sadly, i can't test this new files since i don't have W2K :( .
Riot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Riot »

When I used DEVIL, I made a big map full of 20x20x20 cubes. Yay.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Riot, check your PM (private messages).
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

After some comments i received by E-Mail, it seems that the Win2K problems can be solved by configuring devil to run in 640x480 in the compatibility mode and also in the program configuration itself.

Maybe set it to 256 colors in compatibility can help also.

And BTW, on my first attempts in devil back on 1998, i also made big maps full of 20x20x20 cubes as Riot says :P . These levels where not so great i must admit :roll: .
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I think we all made a bunch of 20x20x20 maps at some point or another, hehe. I still remember my joy of realizing "Hey, I can move the vertices!" :D
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Amusingly enough, I don't think I did... I remember seeing something that I thought could move a vertex and spent forever trying to figure out what did that.

I think I finally resorted to the tutorial. And then proceeded to make mediocre levels for about a year... :)