Where the hell is everybody, gawdammit?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Hostile we lurb you come out and play :)
{Hawk}Liquid
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by {Hawk}Liquid »

Jesus Freak wrote:I only play D3 on-line when there is a player worth playing or a level worth flying. Since the only games I get to play are in BI3 and Halcyon I don't play very often, especially since there is no one I get pleasure out of killing.

Since most of D3's stronger players are gone, I've switched to D1/D2 as an alternative. I'm probably the first ever D3 player to become a serious D1/D2 player. Thanks to Diedel's work with D2x, just about any windows machine can run D2 nicely. I've switched to a serial port joystick(sidewinder 3d pro), so I can play D1 just as well as D2 or D3. The p2p IPX of D1 and D2 is definitely hugely different than D3 or most other modern games, but it is still very playable, and fun for that matter. If they could play it on 14.4kbps modems, than cable sure ain't that bad :P

I do not play any other games than D3 besides UT2004, Doom 3, Diablo 2, Civilization 3, and Axis and Allies. Recently I've been sort of sucked into watching anime all the time, so I've diverted part of my gaming time to viewing time.

One thing I would like to do is request from Esa some underplayed levels which are just as good as the ones that are overplayed.
Someone is bored of playing Beheomoth. =
[Laughs]
MD-1224
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Where I am Nowadays

Post by MD-1224 »

As for me, I am usually on Kali playing D1 and D2. I never really had much interest in D3, though the D3-style CTF was something that makes me play every now and then. If I play D3 CTF, I play it in bursts. I come, quite rusty, play quite a few CTF games in Vericose Veins for about a couple weeks, and get my skills back, then I'm gone again for the next four weeks, playing D1 and D2.

I usually play D3 when no one is available to play D1 or D2, and I only play it if I really feel like it.

I remember that I used to play D3 a whole lot back then, but preferring the old peer-to-peer mode over client/server mode, I play more D1 and D2 now. If you want a game with me, look for me on Rangers on Kali, but I'm also busy with college, so I'm quite hard to find. Probably best to email me.

---Material Defender-1224
WhollyCow
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WhollyCow »

ReadyMan wrote:I think most of us are just lurking here in the shadows... :)
Lurk, lurk.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

/me waves at cow.

sup man? ltns!
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

If your not playing d3 liquid,Why post on the Dbb anymore?
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Behemoth wrote:If your not playing d3 liquid,Why post on the Dbb anymore?
That actually describes the majority of DBB posters unfortunately.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

Clayman wrote:
Why is it unfortunate? The descent bb is a small place. We make each other laugh with our stint as a gamer being the thread of commonality. Iâ??d rather be corresponding with people that had fun and got over it than a bunch of clowns that measure themselves somehow by the fake lasers they shoot.

;-0
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

TheCops wrote:Iâ??d rather be corresponding with people that had fun and got over it than a bunch of clowns that measure themselves somehow by the fake lasers they shoot.
;-0
So....First I'm a Kat.......and now I'm a Clown?

Bettina :wink:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I like forum people that catch random jokes and think they are insults directed personally at them, keeps things interesting. =)
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

TheCops wrote:
Clayman wrote:
Why is it unfortunate? The descent bb is a small place. We make each other laugh with our stint as a gamer being the thread of commonality. Iâ??d rather be corresponding with people that had fun and got over it than a bunch of clowns that measure themselves somehow by the fake lasers they shoot.

;-0
I just find it disappointing that a great deal of the people who post here have hardly played at all in the past several years. It's a community of ex-players, not current ones.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

Clayman wrote:
TheCops wrote:
Clayman wrote:

;-0
I just find it disappointing that a great deal of the people who post here have hardly played at all in the past several years. It's a community of ex-players, not current ones.
impermanence... ain't it a trip?
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

If you dont like how ex-players/not-playing-as-often-people are posting in a descent forum then make your own. :roll:

Oh wait, we do have one. Its called D3tl.org. :P
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It's not like you suddenly become disqualified from the Descent community when you go inactive... :)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Sirius wrote:It's not like you suddenly become disqualified from the Descent community when you go inactive... :)
Exactly. Hell, I've been getting back into D2 over the last few days. Been giving Bubba a run for his money, ain't that right Bubba? ;)
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

The thing about descent is, there's no antidote. Once you have the bug, you've got it forever.

I think that's what makes Descent so amazing. I still remember dl'ing the demo for Descent 1 and how awe struck I was when I played it for the first time.
3 installments later, the addiction is still there.

we're all descenters, just waiting for another version to play.

the DBB isnt for Descent players, but for Descent addicts. It's like alcoholism, once you become an alcoholic, there's no going back....there's only coping with the addiction.

btw, thanks SickOne for keeping the DBB running.

-RM
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

MD-2389 wrote:Exactly. Hell, I've been getting back into D2 over the last few days. Been giving Bubba a run for his money, ain't that right Bubba? ;)
Yeah Good Gaming, we just have to get him out of the shadows..
MD is lurker with a Guass, lob a fusion in his direction and he lags( cough )I mean runs away ! :)
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

Hare .. Hare ... !D3 6DF .. forever Hare Hare ... !

..Shave your head, wear pilot's diapers, and blow up real Good ! .!
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

opps .. ?!@%^
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

BUBBALOU wrote:Yeah Good Gaming, we just have to get him out of the shadows..
MD is lurker with a Guass, lob a fusion in his direction and he lags( cough )I mean runs away ! :)
You're confusing me with Theftbot. ;) I seem to recall drilling your ass a few times in D-Day 97. :P
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

Codger wrote: Now what is the "checksum" bug?
I can't believe no one has explained this yet. I suppose it's because they don't use Linux, and play soley on Windows servers. This is a level bug that doesn't allow a Linux client to join a Windows server or a Windows client to join a Linux server.

It has to do with the level only. Some levels have this bug, and some levels don't.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

FWIW I still hang around from time to time.

But Im with everyone else that Im way past bored with the overplayed levels. I have played recently in Waltz'nMatilda and Crash-M. Both of these levels I find pretty fun and there have been a few rare games in them lately.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

People still play Descent? Man, I hardly ever play anymore. Just the same boring levels line in D2 days.

If people would grow some balls and start playing BETTER levels than the ones being played 24/7 I might play more. Otherwise, I play once a month maybe and just wait for LANs.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Codger: a checksum is a number that is the result of taking all the data in a file and putting it through an equation. It's a quick way of making sure the data on both ends of a transmission matches. When a player joins a D3 game, the client computes the checksum for the level file, and sends it to the server. If it matches the checksum the server generates for the same file, the client is allowed to play. If not, the client is kicked.

Unfortunately, there's a slight difference between the Windows and Linux implementations of the square root function that makes certain levels generate different checksums on Windows and Linux. Thus, if a Linux server is hosting one of the afflicted levels, Windows clients can't join.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

...this is a good example of how not to write a checksum function.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

The checksum error is the main reason Im using wine to run my servers instead of using the linux native server.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Sirius, it's not a flaw in D3's programming, it's a flaw in glibc's implementation of sqrt() versus MS's implementation of sqrt(). It should work fine, but one side screwed up.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

back on topic people.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

The main thing I'm referring to is, basically, for something like a checksum, if they relied on functions with predictable values that couldn't possibly be written incorrectly, or just implemented it themselves (only used once per mission launch anyway), all this drama could have been averted...

Why do you need a square root in a checksum anyway?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

guess 'back on topic' is greek to people.