D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Version 1.3.8:

Hoard works great now....thank you.
When I am killed the screen has a red tinge to it until I pick up a power-up.

Zapp:
make a new player file.
In the ini file, Rem out ";" full screen until you make your player file.
Make sure the player file named in the ini file is also Remed out ";"
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Diedel:

Did some experimenting this morning with several other players. We all had version 1.3.8 installed at the beginning of the test.

Friendly Fire
Host unchecked
Client checked
Anarchy game

Host error message
When accepting player to join game

Warning
Own Control Type 5 in Object1, Sig/Typ

Team game
Anarchy
Host error message
After selecting ACCEPT

Warning
R: Cannot open Correct Version of <Fire

Host bounces back to "New Game, Load Game" menu.
Client bounces back to Multiplayer screen.

Anarchy game
Players

#1 Could never inflict damgage to self
#2 Could inflict damage always to self
#3 Could toggle Friendly Fire correctly
#4 Did not have Vertigo installed: Could not kill self and
other players could not kill #4.

Player #4 installed Vertigo: Could not kill self and other
players could kill #4.

Players changed who was hosting.
Friendly Fire was checked and unchecked for
host and clients alternately

Edit: It seems like Friendly Fire works if you set up a multiplayer game and enter without another player. The problems seems to only be present when another actual player enter the game.

Edit: Did some more testing with win95 D2 as the client. Seems the Friendly Fire toggle is not consistant. sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.

Even in version 1.2.9 there seems to be problems with the Friendly Fire. Tried version 1.1.46 and the Friendly fire works but it seems in that version you need to have the boxed checked to inflict damage to yourself. In later versions it seems you need to have the Friendly Fire box unchecked to inflict damage to yourself.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

just a quick idea: could you include a readme with the zipfiles that state the version number? also list all the working switches and what they do?
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

After playing some missions with custom models, the next mission played will crash on load. An example:

http://home.comcast.net/~jeff250/descen ... /INCA3.hog
http://home.comcast.net/~jeff250/descen ... /INCA3.MN2
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Ferno,
  • The current version no. is shown on my D2X-W32 page. I will add a page describing all command line parameters known to me some time in the future.
Tiger,
  • I have looked into the issues you have explained and believe they should be fixed now.
Jeff,
  • I will try to look into these things in the coming weeks.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Working great on my end Diedel. Now all that's needed is some fine tuning of the colored light.
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Diedel:

Friendly fire:

In single player you can enable and disable the option with no problem. With the box checked you can inflict damage upon yourself. It would seem that this box works backwards. Unchecked should disable it and checked should enable it.

In multiplayer you can always inflict damage upon yourself. The game was started with and without the check box checked. Both players were using version 1.3.9
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Found a bug:
Doors won't open all the way
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Tiger,
  • Friendly Fire on means you can be damaged by friendly fire. I have checked all FF setting combinations on client and server side yesterday, but will double check today.
Falcon,
  • cannot reproduce this. My doors open all the way. I wouldn't know why they shouldn't - I haven't touched switch/door code for ages.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Tigeron, are you saying that unchecking the FF option prohibits you from inflicting self-damage? Because you should always be able to hurt yourself, otherwise a major risk of hiding around corners is vaporized (hitting the wall right next to you with a conc).

And quire frankly "Friendly Fire" makes absolutely no sense in singleplayer since you're going alone.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Diedel wrote: Falcon,
  • cannot reproduce this. My doors open all the way. I wouldn't know why they shouldn't - I haven't touched switch/door code for ages.
Okay let me explain:
It happened in level 7 in the vertigo campaign. after I got the blue key, and i shoot the blue door(the one that is not locked) and the door doesn't open all the way or the door is stucked in the halp of its position
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Falcon,
  • I need a save game please. e-mail it to karx11erx at hotmail dot com.
DCrazy,
  • Currently friendly fire includes self-damage. So if you turn it off, you cannot damage yourself. I could however separate these two things and have an extra "inhibit suicide" switch (such a switch btw. exists in Entropy).
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Traditionally, in games, friendly fire is reserved for immunity only from teammates. In other games, you can always kill yourself. I agree that immunity from oneself does take something away from the game.

Also, I tried to recreate the Vertigo bug only to get random crashing playing (after, say, a minute) the Vertigo campaign. In standard error, I got that SDL parachute thingy that seems to be a popular output these days. The normal D2 campaign, et. al, were fine. I wonder if this has something to do with how D2x handles V-Ham files.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

It might have something to do with fixes provoking other bugs to surface. I have tracked down a few bugs due to your recent bug reports that already were in D2X 0.2.5.

So you say playing the Vertigo campaign makes D2X crash? :cry:
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I have no issues with d2 and having vertigo addon installed
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

D2X W32 constantly moves players past the second to the blue team in team games, generating some very, very insane lag. It doesn't seem to matter whether auto-switch is on or not.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

BUBBALOU wrote:I have no issues with d2 and having vertigo addon installed
But do you have issues playing the Vertigo campaign itself? Maybe it's just me. :o
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Team game lag issue/team switching bug fixed, wait for v1.3.14.

No problems with D2:V at all here, played for 30 mins or so at a stretch.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I can recreate the crash now-- on Vertigo level 7, it will crash a second after picking up the blue access card. edit: I now believe that the crash is the result of a trigger being activated when I leave the cube that the blue access card is in.

edit: And now on level 8 I just ran into a door that wouldn't open all the way. It's also crashing as well, although I can't easily reproduce it.

edit2: Close enough, at the beginning of level 8, a door that won't even open (although it won't stop robots from seeing me and even attacking me to an extent...)
http://home.comcast.net/~jeff250/descen ... s/door.dem
(It's 4 megs!)
This bug is also NOT consistently reproducable at this door.

edit3: A better example, at the beginning of level 7 (still not reproducable, but only half-opens):
http://home.comcast.net/~jeff250/descen ... /door2.dem
(700KB)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Jeff,

please post save games, not demos.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I can't. I'm having trouble saving games on level 7 after any amount of gameplay in general, especially when the bug occurs.

edit: "Error writing savegame. Possibly out of disk space."

edit2: And in fact this seems to be a general case with new pilots on different levels. Can anyone else save games after decent amounts of game time?
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

OK I downloaded the newest verion (14), and, for some reason, I can save games again, but, for some reason, I can't make it 5 cubes into Vertigo level 7. :o
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Hummmm Diedel.... Vertigo missions - any level.....
hate to say it but using mouse will crash D2x-w32 1.3.14. Use keyboard - move forwards/back, Left or right turns will crash D2x-w32. Same for joystick as well.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Looks like Entropy Experiment 2 does the same thing. I think that might have relied on a custom HAM as well. It crashes before you can even leave the first room of Decahedron Outpost. Project: Mandrill also crashes, but seemingly only between levels. That one used HXM files for custom robots. All of the robot textures in Mandrill were screwed up.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

This bug has to do with my recently introducing removing of custom robot and model data (Diedel points at Jeff: "It's all his fault, he wanted that!" :D j/k).

Ok, ofc I introduced the bug.

Anyway, D2X-W32 v1.3.15 with a fix for this is online.

Custom data will now be unloaded after playing a level and not when starting a new one. Also, Vertigo robots and models will not be unloaded.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Thats much better now. All seems to be working for now. Well untill something else comes up. hehe... :wink:

Thanks Diedel!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

AUS,

I have fixed many bugs I haven't created ... and quite a few I did. :P

Next project is stand-alone server. This is very error prone. :wink:
Matt1360
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Standalone Server

Post by Matt1360 »

Hmm, the standalone server will be awsome...I will have something to fill my tme up with :P Let us know when you have it released, or if you want any specific help, im re connecting my other computer up right after i right this, as i had to return halo II to blockbuster :P

Matt1360~~

Edit: Computer up and running yet again, and serving as a CZ dedicated server, and a JukeBox... :lol: One stronnnngggg 466 i tell ya! more RAM than my AMD gaming machine :|
zapp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zapp »

lighting bug: in *multiplayer only*, the video flickers (light horizontal bands all over the screen) badly when the ship moves. It is OK when I don't move. Interesting that there is no problem in single player. This has been happening since 1.2.x version. checking/unchecking the various lighting options in d2x toggles has no effect.
I have a Radeon 9800 pro 128, XP pro SP2, latest Omega drivers.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Not sure if this is anything D2X-W32 did, or if it's a general game bug. In D2 Level 12: Magnacore Station (d2levc-4.rl2), cube 183 is so small, the Pyro often can't fit through it unless you hit it just right.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Oh... yes, I've seen that. I don't remember it in D2 original, but D2x 0.2.6 did have the same problem.

I don't know why it does it though, since it's not really that small - only 20x20x5, and the 20x20 portals are the ones you're using.

But anyway.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

zapp,

I had noticed that too once. You say it did not happen in pre 1.2 versions?
zapp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zapp »

Diedel: well, I have 1.1.44, 1.2.7 and 1.3.16- it doesn't happen in 1.1.44, but the others it does. Don't know if it's related, but 1.1.44 has the power-up flash bug (where picking up several power-ups at once looks like getting a head-on flash missle hit) and 1.2.7+ ver. do not. Something to do w/ the gamma correction routine? That's what it looks like, anyway- messed-up gamma correction in horizontal bands on the cube textures.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

zapp,

I cannot really tell why this happens. It doesn't seem to happen in every multiplayer game. I only had it once when my brother - who is a modem user - was hosting a game.

I have however fixed an issue with palette handling in D2X-W32. Maybe that will fix that flickering also.

If not it could have something to do with the lighting that is done when the ship is moving (the vicinity gets somewhat lit up then). I had changed something with the dynamic lighting routine doing this to make gun lights work. Today I have reverted that routine's code to the original state, as I had finally figured how to hack the gun fire coloring in there.

Diedel
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Diedel:

Version 1.3.22

Cannot select and keep setting to have weapons auto select.

In multiplayer games I have no kill scores on the screen.

All else seems to function correctly.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Tigeron wrote:Diedel:

Version 1.3.22

Cannot select and keep setting to have weapons auto select.

In multiplayer games I have no kill scores on the screen.
{edit} found when it actually occurs, goes from always to no auto select except when empty after every death. so i set it to always will stay that way till i die.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Diedel, just d/led and tried the lastest version as of April 21-2005 12:53am. The problem I had before where the screen would not change appears to happen only when I change the resolution from thew default to one that is higher. Not sure if this helps you.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The auto select bug was the most stupid one I've made in a long time ... :roll: ... wrote "=" instead of "==" in a comparison ...
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Diedel:
Should have stated that the number of kills displayed for each player in a multiplayer game stays at 0 (zereo) in version 1.3.22.
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Diedel:

In version 1.3.23 when selecting a Hoard game the resulting game is a Team Hoard game. All else seems to work OK.