What do errors in MEMTEST-86 mean?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

What do errors in MEMTEST-86 mean?

Post by WarAdvocat »

I did an overnight memtest run (18+ hours...from bedtime until I got home from work) on a computer that's been bluescreening on us, and it got a crapload of errors.

Last night I ran a baseline for comparison on a nearly identical computer, and after 8 hours have no errors.

My next step is to transfer the RAM from the error giving computer into mine and run more tests, I suppose.

Could a problem processor generate Memtest errors? Also of concern is the cheapie power supply in that box, haven't gotten around to upgrading it yet.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

Bad memory, cache or CPU. Put known good memory in and test again, if there are still errors it's the processor, if not then it was your memory.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Make sure the memory is compatible with the board? (Depends on board manufacturer if it's necessary to look..like Compaq or something)
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Is your FSB overclocked?

If you have more than one stick in there, pull one of em and run memtest again.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

yeah no overclock, and the mem is compatible. Same mem same mobo runs perfectly also in different system. It's like this other box has a slight curse on it tho :( nothing seems to go right
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

also the board can be damaged, as it was the case with mine just now. that's why i replaced the board and don't seem to get errors anymore.
BAAL
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by BAAL »

WA, possible the voltage for the ram is set incorrectly on it?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

dunno. It's possible, but doubtful. I'll compare settings between boxes to be sure. Thanks for the tip. I'm running 'one stick out' tests tonight.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I doubt voltage is the case, but it wouldn't hurt to check your levels for everything to be sure. As long as you're within around 5% of spec on your power supply, you should be cool.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

MEMTEST86 --- we are talking the command-line-boot-from-a-floppy version aren't we? Because the version which runs in windows isn't worth spit.

If you encounter a single error - then you have bad RAM and it needs replaced.

Often, you can function with a bad stick, and it'll only fail (and crash the PC with the "IRQ NOT EQUAL", or the classic "ERROR AT #xxxxxxxx" BSOD) during certain tasks, like a software install.

You *can* run like this - but it's not recommended.

Remember, a retailer will probably accept a bad stick back, even outside the warranty period. Give it a go anyway.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Mobius wrote:If you encounter a single error - then you have bad RAM and it needs replaced.
Oh shut up already, if you encounter an error the first thing you try is check and make sure the ram is running in spec. Try relaxing the latency or upping the voltage and see if it fixes it before you run out getting new RAM. I had errors in my old BH5 RAM, all I did was boost it from 2.6 to 2.7v and the errors were gone.