D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

OMG ... the pain never stops. :P
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Great, looks like the latest round of Vertigo fixes has solved my crashing, saved game problems, and I haven't seen any doors failing to open completely either!

No bugs to report, but I do have a few questions. ;) I noticed that you've improved D1 compatibility. Are you working toward allowing D2x to work with a Descent.pig file as well for D1-specific textures in D1 missions? D2x 0.2.6 would try to use the Descent.pig in the D1 campaign when I put the pig file (in addition to the D1 hog) in the D2 directory-- I got the D1-specific textures, but they were always in screwy-looking palettes. I might have been doing something wrong too.

Speaking of palettes, I'm also curious, why do you include them in the D2x-W32 zip? Are they different than the ones in the D2 hog?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

D2X-W32 loads D1 bitmaps from descent.hog only if there is no (at least rough) equivalent in descent2.hog. Afaik all animated D1 textures are replaced by D2 textures as well. I have tried to change that but have run into program crashes when D2X tries to uncompress certain D1 textures - it looks like the texture reading routine does not work properly for all D1 textures, or whatever. I also tried to properly load animated D1 textures, but found it harder than expected too: I couldn't find a way to identify them. As the D2 equivalents sometimes have a different number of frames (different textures that together make the animation), it would be pretty hard to fix that. Complete reading of all D1 info is disabled in D2X, this applies particularly to the (texture) animation info. Actually, it wouldn't be that hard to keep two different sets of data in memory and switch between them depending on a level's Descent version. I don't know enough about D1 file formats, and it would be a lot of work to get accustomed with them, so I will stick with D2X's D1 -> D2 conversion code for now.

The palettes are included in d2x-w32.zip because at one stage of development I found d2x-w32 was crashing because it couldn't find them. Don't ask me why.
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Diedel:

Sorry about this report....but you almost got it right (Smile).

In version 1.3.24 and 1.3.25 the percentage that is calculated from kills and deaths is not correct.

Player #1 = 2 kills
Player #2 = 1 kill

Player #1 = 202%
Player #2 = 100%
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

That's tolerance. :P
zapp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zapp »

More on that flicker bug- it still happens in 1.3.26. It only happens when someone else hosts the game, not when I host it. Happens on Kali and local lan. Happens on a Radeon 9800 pro w/ XP and w/ an Geforce 4 ti4200 w/ XP, though not as badly w/ the Geforce.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I tried to reproduce it with two different computers in a LAN, but I couldn't. Will be hard to fix.

Edit: No wait, I can reproduce it! Fixed!
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

the flicker only occurs when the host has use bright player ships enabled, does not happen otherwise
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Deidel, I don't suppose I could convince you to fix the rendering of the Descent 1 spinning-robot style briefings? :wink:
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Diedel:

Just tried ver 1.3.27

The effiency calculations are still messed up.
Numbers are increasing as before.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Diedel wrote:The auto select bug was the most stupid one I've made in a long time ... :roll: ... wrote "=" instead of "==" in a comparison ...
Thank you for fixing that one.

btw, you might want to start attaching the date (or version) to the name of the zip. Makes distinguishing build versions alot easier for those that don't know how.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

MD:
Ferno wrote:just a quick idea: could you include a readme with the zipfiles that state the version number?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Ferno,

The version number can be seen both in the main menu screen and in the program properties.

MD,

I had thought of including the version number in the exe file name already too (like d2x-w32-1327.exe).
Tigeron wrote:Diedel:
Just tried ver 1.3.27
The effiency calculations are still messed up.
Numbers are increasing as before.
I cannot confirm that. They look very nice here. E.g. 1:1 kills -> 50%/50%, 2:1 kills -> 66%/33%.
Jeff250 wrote:Deidel, I don't suppose I could convince you to fix the rendering of the Descent 1 spinning-robot style briefings? :wink:
Doesn't D2 have the same style of robot movies in the briefings? They're only displayed if movies are enabled though (remove "-nomovies" from d2x.ini).
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

True Diedel. Although I was directing my reply to MD, who asked for the same thing. heh!
Tankie2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D2X-D1X w-32 aggravation

Post by Tankie2 »

I'm left handed and have all my controls set on the number pad and edit keys on the right side of the keyboard, I mouse with my left hand. In D*X w32 the number lock (and maybe the caps lock too?) is active and every time I hit that key, either as a control or my accident it toggles my controls off. This is the only reason I hang on to my old voodoo video cards and don't use D2X w32 on a regular basis for multi player. I'm soon to migrate to XP and I can't get 3dfx to run in XP. Could you disable the numberlock key action like it is in the DOS executables? (I've always use it to fire flares or toggle my headlights for nearly ten years now. ;) ) If this can be done that eliminates the last obstacle in my way to upgrading and joining the 21st century Descent revolution.
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Diedel:

Made a new player file and that seemed to take care of the percentage problem in ver 1.3.27. Thank you again
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Diedel:
Vesion 1.3.27

Unable to edit macros in a multiplayer game.
Pressing shift+F9 results in a message prompt and the sending of the message instead.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Diedel wrote:
Jeff250 wrote:Deidel, I don't suppose I could convince you to fix the rendering of the Descent 1 spinning-robot style briefings? :wink:
Doesn't D2 have the same style of robot movies in the briefings? They're only displayed if movies are enabled though (remove "-nomovies" from d2x.ini).
Descent 2's robot briefings are actually video clips drawn from robots.mve, not a real-time rendering.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Yep-- a run of the "D1- First Strike" campaign demonstrates the older method.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Ferno wrote:True Diedel. Although I was directing my reply to MD, who asked for the same thing. heh!
So sue me for not reading every single post in this thread. ;)
Tigeron wrote:Diedel:
Vesion 1.3.27

Unable to edit macros in a multiplayer game.
Pressing shift+F9 results in a message prompt and the sending of the message instead.
Its present in 1.3.25 as well. I can reproduce it everytime.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

The latest version of D2x gives a version mismatch error message on player files made by or touched by Descent2.exe. Something happened to the cross-compatibility. :o
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

/me sues MD for mental anguish to the tune of $10,000

;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I wouldn't know how to make D2 render spinning robot models in the briefings. Ofc this would be feasible, but require a significant coding effort. I would have to rewrite part of the briefing code, and enable a part of the game renderer to display the in-game robot models there. Not an easy task, so you shouldn't put your hopes too high on that one.

My current no. 1 priority is a Linux port of D2X-W32, that will be tough enough given then lackluster (free) programming tools available there (or can anybody hint me to a good compiler with IDE and interactive debugger, MSVC style?).

karx
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Does Dev-C++ do Linux? I've been told it's fairly similar to MSVC 6, but I'm not positive on that.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Diedel, you might want to talk to the folks working on the Freespace2 Open Source project. They implimented rotating models in the Tech Room a while back. I don't remember if it was Goober5000, Taylor, or Bobboau who did it.

Ferno: I might have that in my couch somewhere. ;)
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

The models actually already rotate. In fact, it works properly in the 0.2.6 D2x-SDL release, albeit with an improper palette. It's just that with the OpenGL versions, the model is mispositioned on the screen, and there's a "hall of mirrors" effect as it rotates. If this is still too difficult to fix, then that is also understandable.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Oh - I thought this didn't work at all! Having some code that does about the proper thing is another story. ;)
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Diedel:

Tested version 1.3.30
In a Hoard game with Fast Respawn enabled there is no spew left where the palyer died. The spew appears where the player respawns but that player cannot see the spew or the orb. Other players in the game can see the spew and orb.

I saw orbs that disappeared as if picked up by a player but did not see the player do it. I heard the sound that is generated when an orb is picked up though.

Happens in Anarchy also as far as the spew is concerned.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Diedel, check your PM dude. I found a major flaw in 1.3.30 that could really stir up some ★■◆●.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

MD: Fixed.

Jeff: D1 briefing robot anims fixed.

Ron: I couldn't observe any problems with fast respawn here. Actually all it does is skipping the wait for a user input. I tried it with 2 computers in a LAN and a hoard game. Everything worked fine: Missiles, shield, energy and orb got properly spewn from the exploding ship.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

D2X-W32 1.3.29: Dual missile launch

New: Due to numerous requests of a single person, I have added a dual missile launch option to both the Toggles and the More Game Options menus.

D2X-W32 1.3.31

Fixed: Dual missile launch always on in multiplayer/coop

What is this? alternating missle is d1/d2/d3.
Only Black Pyro from Descent3 has that dual garbage(and is usally banned)

So I hope what your stating here, is that it has been removed from any multiplayer and/or coop and now is a single player option only

This should NOT be an option for multi or coop.

There are certain things that should not be changed in multiplayer this is definately one of them.... whomever gave you the multiple suggestions tell them to go back to their black pyro
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Bubbalou,
  • it's up to the game host to enforce alternate or allow dual missile launch. If the game host turns it on, it is in effect for all (D2X-W32) clients. Same goes for alternate launch. This option cannot be toggled in-game. So as long as every participant uses D2X-W32, all players will have the same conditions. If it is a mixed D2 version game, the game host should only use Standard D2 settings, but that's true for all D2X-W32 goodies.

My motto is to let ppl have fun the way they want it (as long as they stay within legal and socially acceptable bounds).

So the option will remain in D2X-W32. ;)
Tankie,
  • I am lefthanded too and have all my controls on the numeric keypad and the nearby edit key block. I never had any problems with num lock disabling anything (I am using num lock to drop bombs), so I don't really understand you. You need however the SDL.DLL included in my D2X-W32.zip file to have that work properly.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Diedel wrote:MD: Fixed.
Thanks dude, that made that coop game with Duper and Tramp last night a little...interesting. ;)

Now if only you'd do D1x... ;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

MD,

you can play D1 missions with D2. Read this to get yourself filled in on the details.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Diedel wrote:MD,

you can play D1 missions with D2. Read this to get yourself filled in on the details.
Yeah, but its not the same. ;) D2 textures in a D1 level just isn't right.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

That's all you will get.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

doublepost....damned ISP
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hmm. Theoretically you could use D1 textures if you had the original PIG file... I think that was the one anyway.

At any rate, it works better if you just use D1... textures aren't the only things separating the two - it's also weapon dynamics, player ship speed, and to some extent the reactors...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

D2X uses D1 textures - but only, if there's no (at least rough) equivalent in D2's texture set.

Honestly, I really don't care about D1(X) - ppl don't even play all the new stuff I've built into D2X-W32, and I believe multiplayer is the part of the game where the real fun is.

And then I liked D2 better all the way.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

More and more people are downloading and running D2X-W32 once they get over the initial hurdles of "excuse me it can do what?" syndrome and then some old timers with their "It's Just Hack" that need convincing otherwise. I do like the fact that unless the host enables certain options it's basically regular Descent 2, I have played with extra features on when everyone else was using the same program.

Also, I would note that some are just waiting till you finish with the updates so they can download just 1 file and they are set for life and on par with everyone else. I Check the update before I play online so I have the current version, but that is just me.

As Far as D1X, yeah people do play it currently more than D2, less weapons same spagetti code and d1x is SDL too, I am unable play it on my XP machine because of it's lack of TRUE USB support ( unlike your d2x-w32 :) ). It would be nice though to play it with your orginal tweeks when your done here. I have all 3 and..... play them all, right now on 2 seperate machines ..would like it to be just one@!

D2 is my Favorite home!!!!