time to vent

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Halfpipe

Post by Mickey1 »

Halfpipe is up. Had much fun. Now if only some good players would come and give us a lesson. Ha, Ha, Ha KaBoom. Warning not Pyro only.
386DX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by 386DX »

maybe we should designate a time for us heretics. how bout a huge entropy map?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Maybe a D3 revival is in order. :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I was sort of pondering that... not that I ever liked Descent 3 that much, but when you have decent servers and decent maps, it isn't as bad as it could be.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Im more than willing to host a server for a "D3 Revival". Just set a date and make a request of what server you want up and up it goes.
386DX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by 386DX »

I'll just throw out a few suggestions.My favorite is Vanders Revenge but the Bedlams like Polaris would be good and both the Dementias. Entropy and ctf definately. To be safe we should have several servers up and we'll need to advertise like here on the dbb and planetdescent and maybe word of mouth in the mines.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

dude unban the md and vauss ammo on that halfpipe
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

Just look in the pd databases for some levels. There are literally hundreds that have almost never been played. Even I have an early level in there that no one knows about. (hint: it's not descent dodgeball) But if I were to suggest a level, I'd say anything in the entropy/pyromania/assault levels. Especially assault. No one ever fully appreciates the potential awesomeness of that mod.

By the way, the server definitely needs to be called "skybox heretics" or "vericose blasphemer" or something.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Lack of MD and Vauss ammunition wouldn't be entirely a bad thing... it'd force people into eventually using weapons that take skill to use, and limit use of the 'easy' ones to situations where they really need a quick kill.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

It makes you use fusion or emd. If your happier me using that then thanks! :)
386DX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by 386DX »

I think a D3 revival would be good. Someone ought to get this thing going.Maybe a new thread about this would be good so we can organize?
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

hmm Time to activate my patented skip mode technology. ^_~ TL, DR, etc. etc. ^_~

If you are upset about people playing stupid levels, you only have a few choices in this game:

a. sm0ke a n00b (not necessarily my first choice :P)

b. wait till people play something else (like during "prime time" ^_~) and wait in a server during that time

c. pull your hair out and play another game.

c is probably the best choice since, for some reason, nobody plays old multiplayer games. :( Descent is old, man. Don't wait on it all the time. It just leads to frustration and extreme boredom. Play another fun game.
Sup
DBB Co-Founder1
DBB Co-Founder1

Post by Sup »

386DX wrote:I propose a revolution! A group of regular heretics who play something other than vv abend2 stadium ect then maybe just maybe others will catch on...... wait was i just dreaming?

people get more kills in levels that are familiar

they die more in levels that are unfamiliar

so they play the same ones over and over

this is THE main reason.. and its goes back a LOONNGG way

trust me ;) this is why ... we tried everything to change it back in the day and nothing worked

fear rules in this case (although most wont admit it)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Thats also the main reason why the Minerva series was so blasted popular on Kahn back in the day.

btw, as for a D3 revival, I'd say atleast once a month on kali would be good. Say, the last friday of each month?
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

Halfpipe is up. Had much fun. Now if only some good players and not just cadets would come and give us a lesson.
phlegm
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by phlegm »

Clayman wrote:
btw, I played D1 on a 386DX Cool
Same here. I played the D1 demo right after it was released when a friend of mine made me a copy of the floppys. I think that makes me one of the first members still around here. Unfortunately, I didn't really get into online play or the forums here until 2003, almost a decade later.[/quote}

Just a bit behind you guys, D1 on a 486.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

FWIW One of my favorite unused levels is Moles 1.1

Ive seen some claim they dont like the weapons mix in that level but for some reason I think its just right.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Oh and let me just say I might actually like that Centripital Force 1.2 level if it werent for the fact that it uses that truely evil 4 shot MD mod.

I dont play levels that have that mod. :P
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I love "low MD ammo" mods... MD really changes the game dynamic. It should be treated like a missile -- low ammo, choose your shots wisely.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

The only way I would accept a low shot MD mod is if you could drop the gun and pick up another one.

I will not accept that the only way you can get more MD shots is to die and pick up another gun.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Every level I've played with the low MD mod also had MD ammo (single shots per reload?)
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Hmmm. Interesting. Every level I have seen with that mod didnt have any reload at all.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Why are you so insistent on having plenty of MD ammo? Isn't the mark of a good Descent pilot the ability to excel with a wide range of weapons? (This is not coming from personal experience, by the way. :P)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

*shrug* It's a common crutch, from what I see... although only in certain levels. There are some that are too fast to use it in properly...
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

If there are any reloads at all then Im fine with that. I just dont want to have to die after using four shots before I can use it again.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Most of the Modded MD in Otherone's levels include a one shot reload in death spews.

which is good incentive to kill more and die less.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

OK Maybe Ill give it a try sometime.

But for what its worth, and if you wish you may wish to ignore the following, Im going to do some ranting now.

The MD is part of D3. F??KING GET OVER IT!

Go play some instareap and learn how to use the gun for crist sake.

And those who call those who actually like to use the gun "crutch users", are themselves, fusion whoring, packet dropping skilless jerks who think they have mad skills by camping in a hall and spraying tri-fusion down it, and patting themselves on the back from the kills they get. And when they actually find themselves in a real dog fight they count on dropped packets to save thier cowardly asses. The MD is the ultimate equalizer when you go up against someone who never seems to take any dirrect hits from other weapons because of net loss.

Believe me I know how to use every weapon in the game. Ask Special K. The battles we've had are epic. I dont use the MD as a crutch. But I do like to use it when its available and I dont think that it should not be refillable.

YAYA, Its only a game right? Well its the only online game I ever actually liked and I do like to play on an even playing field.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I use the MD myself, and I've gotten at least decent at aiming it, but that doesn't mean I necessarily like it. It's fun for Instareap, but it can be annoying as hell to get hit, bounced around for twenty feet, hit again, and hit a third time before you even see the person that hit you. For whatever reason, it also seems that the people I hit don't get a tenth as thrown around as I do. :P Fusion is easily dodgeable if you don't moth to it; I'm somewhat of a Fusion whore myself, and I'm damn proud of it; I don't mind getting the occasional face full of Trifusion, either. :)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Nosferatu wrote:The MD is part of D3.
I know. It's unfortunate, because it pushes the game strongly away from good dogfighting and into the realm of "get the first shot" and "have a better ping".

In levels with MD, I notice my kill/death ratio is much more sensetive to ping than in levels without -- and it's not because of my aim (I rarely use MD) but because it's very hard to dodge MD with a bad ping. It really overemphasizes the strength of your 'net connect and of the server.
The MD is the ultimate equalizer when you go up against someone who never seems to take any dirrect hits from other weapons because of net loss.
"skillz" are the ultimate equalizer.

MD is interesting, but with 15-20 ammo it tends to turn the game into a ping-and-quick-aim fight, while with 3 or 4 ammo (and the ability to pick up 1 more per kill) it's much more balanced -- you have to pick your shots and make them count, instead of just running around nailing people because your ping rocks theirs.
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

I just switched to high speed this week but I have played D3 solely up to this point on dial up and I found that the MD can be used accurately independent of your ping. It just takes making a mental picture of where a ship will be in .25 seconds. Now, I can't hit people flying in circles nearly as well as in straight lines mainly because its too easy to look at someone and think linearly but I do fairly well and usually have people claiming I cheat and/or simply want me to stop using the weapon.

I think that given those circumstances, MD is a skill weapon. Now, if your ping is so low that you can simply aim at the player, then ya, significantly less skill is required.

However, I really think that MD and Vauss have not only made me play different, but that have helped me become better at the game than I ever thought I would be.

I for one, am glad they were included.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

any weapon which dominates a level is going to create whining.

Fusion in fusion levels
MD in MD levels

The answer is to be good at both :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I love being bitched out. :)

Contrary to popular belief, having lag or even, more often than not, loss in client/server based games is a disadvantage.

Except when it makes you skip like crazy. But it's pretty hard to hit other people then...
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

SuperSheep wrote:MD is a skill weapon.
Of course - regardless of your ping.
Now, if your ping is so low that you can simply aim at the player, then ya, significantly less skill is required.
More than that... if you have a lower ping than the other guy and you see each other at the exact same moment, and you both take perfect shots, yours lands, they bounce around, and they miss you. That means it exaggerates ping differences.

I have a bit more trouble hitting with it at high ping, but not a lot. The problem is, when my ping gets higher, I can no longer avoid MD because the shot has often hit me on the server before the ship is visible on my screen.

It's an interesting weapon, but I wish they'd given it less ammo.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

It does not matter what your ping is with the MD, if you are unable to adjust to ping variation with the MD for dodging and or use... then move on....

pretty simple: prediction

you die by the MD because you are a linear player, therefore an easy target

you miss with the MD because the other player is not

shoot the ship not the sheild....add loss = bounce, and welcome to the internet@!

Nuff said
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

if you have a lower ping than the other guy and you see each other at the exact same moment, and you both take perfect shots, yours lands, they bounce around, and they miss you.
Repeated for emphasis.

Even if I'm so good at dodging that people have a hard time hitting me with MD... it still exaggerates the ping differences by quite a bit. I can still get nailed by a lucky shot from a ship I didn't see until after the server decided I was dead.

MD is great when everyone has a similar ping. When the pings get to be too different, MD really magnifies the differences.
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

md takes a little better favor to people with lower ping. but so does every other weapon, except for MD is the 2nd most noticeable... (vauss comes first =) )

Unless your at a lan where there isn't ping, theres not too much to do about it.

you could take md completely out of the game, then people would continue to rant about fusion 1-hit kills. then you could take that out, then vauss, and so on.

A solution is to build levels that meet the needs of one or the other, so people can play at what they favor.

If you like fusion, play at Bi3. if you like md and vauss, go play at an open level. if you like md and vauss, dont go play at BI3 and then complain about fusion. ETC...

unfortunatly this is very hard due to the fact that the 10 people that still play Descent(not including the d3tl peeps) are all playing hit and run levels like Abend2. That perfectly fine. they like missile levels, there isnt much we can do about it, and if those levels got taken out chances are most of them would quit.

Also as Krom stated, most of the people on the DBB dont play descent 3 because "everyone" plays Abend2,veins, waltz...etc

What if A large group of D3 players from the DBB all went to a level they like? They would have their fun, and perhaps some of the Abend2 peeps might wander in.
As MD-2389 said- were in need of a d3revival.

=P
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I want my 1 minute of life back from reading your post SpaceBoy... gawd! got back to PD already... oh wait you were banned over there too!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Not so sure Spaceboy... a laggy bastard can still use Vauss because if he misses once, he can try somewhere else quite quickly.

MD makes you wait a second or so between shots, so it's much harder to judge leading etc...