Selling a house.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Selling a house.

Post by Fusion pimp »

We're getting ready to sell our houses and make a move out of here. My question is, has anyone ever sold their house on their own instead of going with a agent? I don't mind pay a fair wage for work, but 6% between both houses would equate to almost 45k!
That's 45k of my money!

How difficult is it? I mean, for 45k I figure I can train myself to sell houses, pay for listings/advertisment, etc.

45k!

B-
LADYBIRD
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by LADYBIRD »

My Husband and I did.We didnt even have a sign out,nieghbors across the street asked if we wanted to sell it.It was really easy,the buyers provide the agreement papers.Have a lawyer look them over before you sign,but the most important thing is make sure the agreement papers says the house is sold as is.
Another thing is research the homes that has been sold in your area,and look for the price per a square foot,that should give you ideal on how much to sell it per a square foot.
Then once the papers are done,choose a title company they will handle the paperwork,with the Doc stamps closing cost and the other stuff that is involve.the closing cost ,is up to you or the buyer to pay,that has to be in the agreement.
For us it was really easy,our house was on an island so we had alot of people coming over asking if we are selling it.At that time they would drive by and see us working on the house.
This was done in Florida so I dont know if the laws are the same in other states.
Good luck
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

My mom and dad have sold their house by owner 13 times. They never pay an agent. If you're in a desirable nieghborhood, which I'm sure you are, it wont be so hard.

My mom used to do little things that helped. she'd sprinkle a little nutmeg on the carpets before she vaccumed. Made the house smell like fresh baked goods. Or she'd put some chocolate chip cookies in the oven. And she'd always have the place completely immaculate and totally pimped out. I'd recommend doing some marketing like the agents do as well. Make a flier, put signs on the major intersections, hold open houses, etc. I'm sure you'll sell it dude. Just be your own agent.

I know there are some internet listing sites that you can use as a "by owner" seller, as well ( www.buyowner.com ). I'm not sure how much it costs, or if it costs anything at all. Check those out.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Parents sold the house themselves. It sold for over market value in under 12 hours of posting the "FOR SALE" sign on the front lawn.
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

So you're finally doing it, huh? Congratulations! Where did you decide to move to?
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

He will only tell you if you tell us where you are moving first G.... :P
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

If you have the time definitely try to sell it yourself first.
Depending on the location it may go quickly and the 6% is a nice bonus.
We sold our first place by putting a sign out on the road, a week later... viola!
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

I spoke to the agent that helped up purchase both the homes, she said she'd do everything for 2.5%. That's a little better! Still a great deal of money, but chewable.

G, Yep! The housing market is mad crazy here and I want to get maximum return on my investment. I'm hearing the "experts" say that they expect to see the housing market drop by as much as 30% by the beginning of '06. obviously pure speculation, but the market can't continue like this much longer, so I think there's truth to what they're saying. Perhaps not 30%, but even 10% would piss me off and would equate to over 70k that I missed out on.It might put us in good position when it's time to re-buy, too... assuming it does drop.

Idaho!

How are things going for you?
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

B - Idaho seems to meet most of your requirements. Are you doing the mountains and gonna suck it up on the snow, or try a little further south?

I'm doing good. Moving back to NY has pros and cons, but the job is sweet. I got my very first research proposal funded by the Air Force, which goes a long way towards my credibility at the new company.

Guess I'll wait another year before thinking about buying a house!
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

idaho? man, i hope you plan on sending me some potato's or something. havent heard from ya in awhile ;)
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Genghis: Buying a house in New York? You've gotta be living at least 100 miles north of the city to be able to afford anything within 1 year of moving here...
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

DC - Don't I know it! I grew up in NYC. But I'm in Ithaca now, so at least it's affordable. Question is whether I want to stay in such a small town...