No CD Music on Fedora Core 2

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

No CD Music on Fedora Core 2

Post by Iceman »

uname -a => Linux a347-phl-fc2 2.6.10-1.771_FC2smp #1 SMP Mon Mar 28 01:10:51 EST 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Any ideas why I cannot play a music CD on FC2? I can insert a cd and rip it to disk in ogg format and play the ogg files just fine but trying to play directly from a cd with KsCD doesnt work. KsCD shows that it is playing but it produces no sound. NOTE THAT THIS PROOVES THAT THE AUDIO HARDWARE/DRIVERS ARE FUNCTIONING CORRECTLY.

???
Thanks,
Icey
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Well I assume you made sure that the audio cable is connected from your cd drive to your sound card. Open up the mixer and raise the volume on any settings that look like they are cd related. I for example have a soundblaster audigy and for some reason it has a gazillion mixer settings. There were like 3 cd ones and only one of them worked.

You could also use xmms to play the cd digitaly, where it reads the music as data. That way you can apply any sound effects you want.

But as long as your sound card is working then the problem could only be the audio cable or the mixer settings.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Ok, the box is a DELL Dimension XPS ... it came pre-built from DELL so I assume they connected the audio cable to the CD at the factory. Before I open up the DELL box I will dig around in the media settings as you suggested.
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

This problem shows up on the fedora mailing list every couple of weeks. Apparently also on general linux forums and Dell forums. The problem could be one of a number of things; you'll have to visit a few threads and try out everyone's suggestions:

http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44015

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic- ... t=audio+cd

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums ... ge.id=5737

If none of that works, search around in here:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

For as long as I've had this Dell, I've never been able to play music CDs with it. No matter if it's Windows or Linux, they'll play for a bit, then everything'll crash. Sucks.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Its not the audio/CD cable ... this is a dual boot box (WinXP/FC3) and the CD plays just fine in XP. Tinkering ...
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Well keep in mind that I know that many Windows based players can play music digitally (i.e. using the soundcard DAC instead of the CD drive's DAC and an analog passthrough cable). I haven't hooked up an analog CD audio cable in a long time simply because they're not necessary, and I wouldn't be surprised if Dell didn't do that either.

I guess I'm saying see if your Linux apps support that sort of thing.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Guess what? There is NO audio/CD cable installed :)
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Called it.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Tetrad wrote:Called it.
What does that mean? The cable was the first thing I told him to check in my first post. :P
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

Iceman wrote:Guess what? There is NO audio/CD cable installed :)
I guess that's not shocking. Dell is Windows-centric, and you don't need the cable for most Windows stuff.

Interestingly, I once read that Dell does or did provide Linux boxes...but they cost MORE than their Windows boxes of the same hardware.