Need Video card with 2 video outputs + TV tuner

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Need Video card with 2 video outputs + TV tuner

Post by Birdseye »

I would like a video card that has 2 regular VGA outs and a TV tuner. The plan is to not only enjoy a very large desktop on via my dual 24 inch widescreen monitors (1920X1200 each) in music production, but to also be able to watch TV... I invison myself having the TV on one monitor, browsing the web or whatever on the other. Also great for scoring to film.

Anyone know of a reasonably priced card that can do this? I have absolutely no interest in games at all save D3 a handful of times a year, so it can be slow and cheap, just as long as the job gets done. I'd also prefer it to have no fan, if possible. I like things quiet.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

A TV tuner...

An obscenely expensive All-in-Wonder from ATI should fill the bill
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Yes the AIW X800 is expensive at $500 ($400 at newegg).

However, since he isn't gonna play much he could easily settle for the AIW X600 which costs only $249 ($200 at newegg).

See http://shop.ati.com/

or : Newegg
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Matrox Parhelia. I run triple head but it can also run dual head with video out for WYSIWYG video production. There's no going backward once you've gone triple. :D

Edit: Didn't notice the tuner requirement. It does not have that but I'm sorta waiting until a well-made HDTV card comes available. Right now seems like the tuner card market is transitioning. What's available (especially the ATI) currently get low marks.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Cards without TV TUNERS don't count.

If its analog cable, I'd just get a second TV personally, and this baby.

A second-hand 9xxx/8xxx series AIW would also do quite nicely.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Anyone know of a reasonably priced card that can do this? I have absolutely no interest in games at all save D3 a handful of times a year, so it can be slow and cheap, just as long as the job gets done. I'd also prefer it to have no fan, if possible. I like things quiet.

uhhh yeah, a simple ATI All-in Wonder 128 Pro would do all this easily and it doesnt even cost 100$

you guys simply blew this detail WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY past left field!
BAAL
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by BAAL »

aiw 9700pro can be had for a reasonable price these days, and will still perform well in games when needed....
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

ace thanks, that's the best suggestion so far.

I want the TV tuner instead of a TV because I want the desktop space used also for the 2 monitors I have.

Well I think it may just be smarter to buy one of the ATI all in wonder's and then just have 2 cards in the computer at once.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

IMPO I would just get 2 vid cards of any kind or a card with dual output and have a separate TV tuner, that way one is not tied down by the other if and when you want to upgrade or you have a problem and you dont need 2 vid cards in one machine that way. Keeping things separate is better in the long run especially when upgrading and replacing.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

The card I linked to above does have a tuner built in. However, speaking as someone with a fair ammount of experience with video capturing, I would stay clear of coax or RCA when it comes to watching/capturing TV. The image quality is just abysmal compared to s-video or component. Besides, with s-video and component, you get to see the entire signal with minimal loss. With coax and composite, you loose about 30 - 40 pixels all around. (and its not my card doing it, I confirmed this on several TVs around the house...)

If you want a dedicated tuner/capture card, go for the Leadtek TV2000XP Deluxe. You won't regret it. :) The signal tops out at 720x480 (NTSC streams, which is the same as your standard FS DVD) or 768x576 (PAL), but that should fill your monitor nicely when you hit the fullscreen option on your remote. The remote even has a "boss key", so you won't get caught watching TV if you're "at work". ;)

edit: minor correction and addition
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Birdseye wrote:ace thanks, that's the best suggestion so far.

I want the TV tuner instead of a TV because I want the desktop space used also for the 2 monitors I have.

Well I think it may just be smarter to buy one of the ATI all in wonder's and then just have 2 cards in the computer at once.

NP bird, my father is a professional photographer ( OLD SCHOOL BTW) and i gave him my ATi Rage 128 Pro "All-in-Wonder" with 32MB VRAM. its a very nice card, and Win2k/XP already has built in ATi/MS drivers. and like i said, its < 100$.

i forgot to mention one thing, this particular card also has a A/V componnent "I/O" extension cable. it allows you to plug in several devices with A/V capability.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Get a nice TV tuner and support my local economy at the same time. Please get the Hauppauge card. :P