Universal Driving License

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Universal Driving License

Post by woodchip »

Reds are going to mandate that states issueing drivers license must have proof of citizenship. Simple things like a home address, a SS number, a picture. Some states are squaking as to the difficulties involved. Well, some states already do this and don't seem to have difficulties. We all know the difficulties incurred by 9/11 and how the plane jackers used drivers license to accomplish their goal. I for one think proof of citizenship for d/l will be a good thing.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I agree.
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

My Texas DL has my picture (duh, how would anyone know it's your DL?) and my address (exact reason for printing your address right on there I'm not 100% clear on, but I'm sure there's reasoning behind it that would be all too clear were I some crazed killer who got pulled over). Stuff like that I thought was common, so I don't see what these "difficulties" would be. Our DLs even have their own numbers and magnetic stripes that presumably show more information from our record.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

That strip is the worrisome part.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Testiculese wrote:That strip is the worrisome part.
Why? This quote was taken from Neal Boortz today. I have to say, I agree with him.
the Imperial Federal Government and the IRS already know who you are, where you live, how much money you make and everything about you. Sadly, a national ID card would only add a picture to everything they already know.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I've always wondered about that... as if the federal government couldn't collect tons of data about us without telling us. Why panic when they want to do it publicly?
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

The government has absolutely no business keeping tabs on us like that. We however, have every right to keep those kinds of tabs on them and we should be doing it.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I keep my SS# off of my driver's license for good reason. If my picture, name, and home address isn't good enough for them, then thats tough ★■◆●. If they want to know my SS#, they can look it up just like every other cop does when they run a background check when you get pulled over.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Hell, I already have to use my SS# on college exams as an ID number. Putting it on a driver's license would be a step down as far as I'm concerned. As was said earlier, the government knows a hell of a lot about you already; they just happen to be publicly acknowledging it now. Adding a little information to a license is far from my greatest concern.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Sharing your SS number is pretty stupid unless you are applying for a job, which is what it really is used for and ONLY. It is not an ID number except for your SS. Because once someone steals your SS number, your are fsked for life!

MY college uses SS numbers for an ID but I refused, so they gave me a generated campus ID which works just as well. THey have no right to use your SS as an ID and if they ask you for it you should refuse. If it causes a problem, bring it up to the principal or dean. But dont let people push you around and give in to your demands to present your SS number unless you are applying for a job or its for taxes. DOing otherwise is quite stupid and puts you at risk.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Isnt it actually against the law to have to give your social security number as a form of identification?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Avder: for anyone but an employer and a state or federal agency, yes it is illegal to mandate an SSN. Fortunately, most colleges are transitioning away from using SSN's as IDs. Unfortunately, my password to open a register at Staples is the first 6 digits of my SSN. :|
Phaser
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Phaser »

I think Texas already does that b/c i'm fixin 2 start drivers Ed.....I dunno i could be wrong...