Roid's Klingon/Arab Comparison

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Roid's Klingon/Arab Comparison

Post by roid »

Roid - Your post was outside the scope of this thread's topic and borderline racist. Since you've insisted on crapping up this thread with your political commentary, I've taken the liberty of splitting your post over to the Ethics and Commentary Forum, where you can wax eternal over the similarities of Klingons and Arabs.

Please don't ruin this thread with more argument. PM me, if you'd like to discuss this further. Thank you and have a nice day! :) -Pun

<hyperlink added by me -roid>

want the next best thing to klingons?
watch fox news cover arab issues, and just imagine ridges on all the arabs' heads.

the point is that fox news will be relatively happy to portray arabs as bloodthirsty monsters - for political propeganda reasons of 'mislabeling culture'.

another point is that the klingons in startrek were always supposed to be a backwards euphemism for other cultures that can seem somewhat violent & barbarian to westerners. i've often heard ppl who are fond of Murdock's opinions (ie: Fox News) refer to arab culture in this manner.

the point was that klingons are thought of by a lot of people as a metaphor of arab culture. and the issues startrek deals with therefore are inherently "tollerence" issues. this was how the klingons were portreyed in TNG especially - as noble savages.

the concept of "noble savages" is lost on many people unfortunately.

soooo.
a mod may have missed the point last time, so take this advice: don't edit my posts on your "i don't understand the point, i'm sure this isn't Politically Correct, lets kill it" whimsys.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Arab culture is 'somewhat violent & barbaric' at the very least.
And we don't necessarily hold much value in some of the behavior they consider noble. Savage is savage, it's only romanticized in works of fiction, when it's thrust upon you in real life it's just savagery.

I see Fox as not 'mislabeling their culture' and more like calling a spade a spade.
A sudden lack of political correctness can be scary to those who didn't realize it was being pulled over their eyes for so long.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

And there I thought Klingons were just a happy go lucky warrior casted culture who loved fighting and blood wine. Leave it to Roid to throw some Margret Meade societal comparison into the mix. :roll:
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i got the idea of klingons=arabs from a past thread on the DBB, where it was brought up by someone else - discussed extensively - and everyone learned a lot.

that thread was lost when the DBB's archives were deleted.

how sad.

does anyone else remember that thread?
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

roid.. STFU. just STFU.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Apparently, the point wasn't only lost on a certain mod.
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

When I think of Arabs in general Nazi Germany comes to the front of my mind. The master race, join them or die. These people are barbaric and brutal and deserve no sugar coating. So I really dont see the problem with his thoughts.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Arabs are strongly tribal... Muslims are strongly militant... that makes for a bad combination. But I don't see how that has anything to do with Klingons...
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Lothar wrote:Arabs are strongly tribal... Muslims are strongly militant... that makes for a bad combination. But I don't see how that has anything to do with Klingons...
Klingons are more like drunken kung-fu fighters than anything else.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Gene Roddenberry originally created the fictional "Klingon" species after his trip to the middle east in the 1960s.
i don't think he was a racist. are you guys seriously telling me that you think Gene Roddenberry was a racist? :lol:
i think the opposite was true really, ST:TNG was all about exploring cultural differences.

Ferno wrote:roid.. STFU. just STFU.
i didn't start this thread ferno. you should be telling someone else to STFU i think.

and the multi-paragraph first post that is the first post in this thread - too long? well it was originally a 1 paragraph quip in the cafe, this longer post was what i replaced it with when it was deleted, although this longer explanation was subsequently deleted as well. well not deleted - actually moved here (without my will of course, duh) as a new thread. THIS thread.

so geeze ferno, don't tell me to stfu. this isn't even my thread.

although i guess this topic can be salvaged for E&C purposes. i dunno, what do you think?
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

ya, im not a big fan of this whole split thing, or I think a mod should have to get the users permission to split his topic, without it the mod should just delete the post.

Sometimes you just wanna make a statement, not a thread.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Remember Roid, at least the Klingons were smart enough to invent "Bird of Prey" spaceships.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

ya, but they have tapped into a very large segment of our engineering market, by doing the same job for significantly less money (1/4 to 1/2 per individual salery).

Several of my recently graduated engineering friends have found it near impossible to get a job outside of national defense, (where you have to be a u.s. citizen for the security clearance), because of this outsourcing.

Without the war in Iraq this would have been one of the key issues of the last election. 'Luckly' right now, defence needs, (or can afford), them all.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Gooberman wrote:ya, im not a big fan of this whole split thing, or I think a mod should have to get the users permission to split his topic, without it the mod should just delete the post.

Sometimes you just wanna make a statement, not a thread.
Roid crapped on a thread about a tv series ending and discussion about how a sequel might progress by making a post that was either a bad joke that reeked of racism or was trying to make some sort of odd cultural analogy. I removed it. He put it back in, altough reworded to be slightly less offensive. Since he insisted on pushing the issue, I moved his post here where interested parties can discuss to their hearts content the similiarities of Arabs and Klingons.

I agree with you about splitting topics, Goob. But since Roid felt it was SO important for everyone to read his post, I felt it was only fair that he have a place to discuss this all-important theory.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

the only theory was the suggestion that Fox News is anti-arab. frankly i didn't think that suggestion was particularly offensive, or needing of removal, since it was just a one sentance comment.

the klingon-arab link is fact.

either way the whole thing was together in a 1-2 sentance statement - approximated by the bolded part at the top of the first post in this thread (if anyone's interested). you could have just left it where it stood.

since i was finally able to slip my point through in that cafe thread with a post that was not deleted, i'm no longer desperate to get my original point across within.
however what i am concerned about is what the precident was for the edits. i don't want my further cafe posts to be edited or deleted in other threads.
i thought the rules were pretty straightforward, but if they are changing, then perhaps you moderators can chat amongst yourselves about this and get back to us all.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

You didn't start this thread huh roid? Then who's name is it as the author of this thread?

Looks to me like when your first loaded and borderline response was deleted you decided to take it on yourself to save your original post and repost a slightly different version of it here.

Had you not posted such a response this wouldn't even be an issue.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Ferno, he re-posted this in the original thread, and punisher split it off and put it here.

If the next response is on topic (that is, about the analogy), I'll leave this open, but if we're just going to sit here talking about what mod did what to whose post and why we agree/disagree with that, I'm going to close it. It's already being discussed in PM's, we don't need it to be discussed here too.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

the klingon-arab link is fact.
Attribution? Granted I've never been a Trek fanatic but that's the first time I've heard Arabs were Roddenberry's inspiration for the bad guys.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Only an unsaved idiot would have a hard time seeing how obvious it is that Star Trek's, Klingons, are actually Arabs in disguise.
I guess you can't argue with Landover Baptist. :P It wouldn't surprise me if that was roid's source without him realizing it's a parody site. :oops:
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

hmm, i may have been duped. it may not be such "fact" as i thought.

however i still remember us discussing the point in the past (now loooong gone) thread. it was sometime in the past 4 years 8). anyone else remember? ★■◆● i hope i didn't unknowingly make it up.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

roid wrote:hmm, i may have been duped. it may not be such "fact" as i thought.

however i still remember us discussing the point in the past (now loooong gone) thread. it was sometime in the past 4 years 8). anyone else remember? **** i hope i didn't unknowingly make it up.
I don't remember. Perhaps Roidy, you've been hanging too long in dream time with your Abo friends? :wink:
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Personally I've always thought American biker gangs (black leather/chrome, male honor code, long hair/bad teeth, weapon fetish, rowdy fighters/partiers) were the inspirational source for Klingons, rather than any single ethnic group.