Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs.

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

yeah perhaps.

i'm not yet convinced that wouldn't add to the problem.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Interesting read, FP.

There are some really valid points in there, IMO. I disagree with his saying that it's OK to be a sheep, though. It's O.K. to live your life in denial? Plenty of people do, and there will always be people that do, but that doesn't mean it's OK. It almost sounds like a superiority complex. Like, it's OK for people not to be as good as them, because that's pretty darn good, and you can't expect that of everyone (if the standard is lower, you can be higher above the standard). As a kid who was exceptional in some ways I had experience with that kind of arrogance, and I eventually decided it was wrong. Don't misunderstand me, I have the utmost respect for officials (police, army, etc), but living in the real world/not in denial doesn't automatically make them right.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Too many sheep think when a bad situation arises that a policeman will be there to save them. Fantasy land.
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

Just a trivial point: very limited understanding of sheepdogs in the original post.

In the wild territories of the United States, the Baltics, Oz mebbe, livestock guard dogs are used. These dogs often identify with sheep and sheep seem to bond with them. It is not uncommon to see a guard dog lying surrounded, almost camoflauged by a group of lambs. A common misconception about livestock guard dogs is that their chief tactic is to fight wolves, coyotes, dingos etc. Au contraire. They bark and raise a ruckus and they do indeed guard the sheep. They challenge anything that appears to threaten the flock. However, it seems likely that the fighting they do is mostly in response to attacks made on them by groups of predators who decide to attack the guard dog en masse.

However these dogs are not sheepdogs in the common parlance of shepherds. The best sheepdogs are of course (in my opinion) border collies. Border collies do indeed frighten sheep with wolf like behavior. Kinda like cops frighten me with nazi like behavior. Stuck between a wolf and a sheepdog, I think the thinking sheep would do its best to pick neither. Also, just like cops border collies can often by caught in behavior that serves their own interests rather than that of the flock.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Margo, just an aside but I always thought the Kuvasz to be a terrific livestock dog. I'm more into Rotties, Akitas or maybe even Malamuts. I was just reading about Kuvasz and I like their characteristics...other than the shedding.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Border Collies are also very intelligent and make for great pets.

Sorry for off topic, keep talking.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

my neighbours one one side have a pet border collie. it's a very intelligent and kindhearted animal, but it's kept alone in their yard and seems to be going a bit crazy, because it's so bored.

a dog bred for action, trying to live in an actionless world. it's so naturally edgy it's making it's own action up in it's head. (it trys to herd it's toys)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

If you want to talk about dog breeds, perhaps you should start a new thread in the Cafe.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

that was also an analogy for what we're talking about here lothar. sheepdogs who make their own trouble.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

roid wrote: a dog bred for action, trying to live in an actionless world. it's so naturally edgy it's making it's own action up in it's head. (it trys to herd it's toys)
Roidy you verged on the profound...if only you used the word "human' in lieu of "dog". Sometimes I wonder if the lack of physical activites does things to the psychi? Perhaps this is why vid games are so popular. Perhaps too the lack of something to do drives some to acts of violence or madness (note...I said some). I'll let you and others expound further.

See Lothar, we really are on topic...in a round about way. :)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

uh, yes it was a metaphor.
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

Hi guys,

Yet another maintenence day for WoW so I'm looking in here.

I think I missed last week because of guild drama. Yes indeed Lothar roid is correct the first post was almost entirely based on a sheepdog metaphor.

My point was that idealizations of any powerful entity (sheepdogs or cops) involves problematic oversimplification.

Sorry to behave like a troll guys but still too busy having fun playing WoW. Chippy send me a PM when you start playin or are willing to admit that you are already playing. We can discuss the merits of Kuvasz while we kill fackin horde shammys. ;)*

*edit: and dont even think about telling me you have a shammy or ... well.. i could probably forgive you for even that. :)
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

I have a Border Collie named Nino, who is the son of my other Border Collie that was called Chille ...
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

er yeah... judging from the lack of new (and relevant) content, I think we can be done with this thread.