I made a server list for Linux users

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

planetdescents mission-db has a "checksum bugged?" option. since most of the levels have an "unverified" on it, you may contribute to that. :)

oh yeah: thumbs up, iten :)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

If you do manage to find out the checksum status of some missions, I could update their entries in the PD database. :)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

That would be much helpful :) I'd be willing to start naming them as I mostly play (or try to play) D3 in Linux. Where should I report the checksum bugged levels to?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

You could just list them in a thread, either here or at PD. I'll just keep track of them and change the level entries that you report on.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Cool, I'll start a new thread in this forum next time I play D3. Or I'll just post in one if someone beats me to it. :D Hope I can help.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

Erm sorry Guys - but Marix is already working on this. He also already got the permissions doing the update on his own...

@Top Gun: did you overlook this in the PD-Staff-Forum? :)
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

assumed marix started at the first level in the DB, you may likely start from the last, xam. if he's not already done with it.

:)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

My memory isn't exactly the best, Checkor. :P Now that you mention it, I do remember that post.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Floyd wrote:assumed marix started at the first level in the DB, you may likely start from the last, xam. if he's not already done with it.

:)
Oh, I was just thinking of testing the levels that are played. That is, all the levels that the servers are currently running. The only way to test this it to attempt to join a multiplayer game anyway, as playing it stand alone on a linux machine works fine.
Marix
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Marix »

Thanks for you interest in helping maintaining the checksum-bug-attribute. I'd be really glad if you would help verifying levels. I just started a thread in the Feedback-Forum of PD where you can post the verified levels.

BTW: I actually started testing levels from the back, but I still have a list of levels that I have tested but haven't had time to upload yet. However I didn't test every level yet, but only those that resided on my harddrive anyways. Therefore I appreciate any level that will be posted to the feedback-thread for me to put into the database.

edit: link to thread: http://www.planetdescent.com/asp/forum_ ... picid=6234
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

About the launcher... how do we edit the command line switches on D3 with it? I don't knoe Perl, but I looked at the file and found several places where you had put in the "no deadzone" switch. Could we make it so that d3launch itself could pass switches to D3? Just curious...
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

Look for calls to os.system in d3gui.py. It's called from two different locations, one of which is in join_game() and another in join_manual_game(). join_game() is called when you click and join a game on the server list whereas join_manual_game() is called when you use the `Join Manual IP' option.

Of course it would be better if extra command-line parameters for D3 were specified only once somewhere else and then used in both cases so you wouldn't need to change it in multiple places. Something like...

Code: Select all

d3opts = "--nointro --framecap 0 --deadzone0 0.1"
somewhere, maybe after the imports and before any function calls, and

Code: Select all

os.system("descent3 "+d3opts);
for both os.system() calls... Or even better, something for specifying the parameters in the GUI but they'd probably need to be saved somewhere in that case.

By the way, it's python, not perl.

Edit:
The example of the options isn't equivalent to the original options in d3gui.py, and it's just the set of options I (sometimes) use, so edit it to your needs.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Thanks, I see that in there, I'll give it a shot (though it looks fairly simple). Thanks!

(edit) Worked like a charm. Nothing to it. Thanks for the awesome software!(/edit)
glarb
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by glarb »

Delkian wrote:Actually there is even a graphical client that can read Descent 3 server information, and that's XQF. The problem with it is that it can't read the server list from descent.cx, and I don't know of any other publically usable master server that would have a useful list of D3 servers (Gamespy's master servers aren't publically available, they require an authentication method which is proprietary).
I use XQF v1.0.3 and it shows d3.descent.cx servers.
For gamespy servers you need to install gslist. Run gslist -u (updates gamelist) then you can add gslist masters to XQF.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

hot
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

Since this topic is still stickied I think it is ok to necrozize it:

The linkage is dead iten - if you need some space to host it again just mail it to me...

cheers!
Zinn
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Zinn »

Yeah it is pretty dead :(
This is my signature.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

http://home.earthlink.net/~hendricks_cl ... 0.1.tar.gz

Will be up as long as the site is there...
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I have absolutely no idea why I never had this hosted at PD, but I'll be sure to now.