D3edit and textures questions

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D3edit and textures questions

Post by Fusion »

Need some help.
A couple of Faces in my lev have wigged out on me, and I don't know how to fix them. They look fine at a distance, but when you zoom in close, they move. I don't know how exactly to explain it.

Q.2
This is my first attempt for a CTF lev, so how do I tell D3edit where I want my goal face is located. I want it in the center of one of my rooms. I know a little about the the Room Properties window, mainly for making recharging rooms, but this is a new twist for me.

Help!!

Fus

edit: What is and where can I get the latest ver of D3edit?
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

The faces move because they're either non-planar, or the texture is misaligned. Try propagating the texture from an adjacent face, or do a verify room to ensure that the face is both planar and convex--if it's concave or nonplanar, do a triangulate face on it.

Set a room as a goal for CTF--the flag will be placed in the center of it. If you want to set a goal face which will change texture when playing CTF, there's a box that you can check called "make current face goal face" or something like that--experiment a little, you'll get it. :)
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Stryker wrote:The faces move because they're either non-planar, or the texture is misaligned. Try propagating the texture from an adjacent face, or do a verify room to ensure that the face is both planar and convex--if it's concave or nonplanar, do a triangulate face on it.
Stryker,
1.propagating?
2.Verify Mine in World View says everything is cool. :)
Stryker wrote:Set a room as a goal for CTF--the flag will be placed in the center of it. If you want to set a goal face which will change texture when playing CTF, there's a box that you can check called "make current face goal face" or something like that--experiment a little, you'll get it. :)
Do I have to insert the flag object, or w/D3 do it w/o me putting in the object?
Fus
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Propagating is when you select a face, hold control, and left-click on a face next to it. The second face will align its texture to the texture from the face you first selected.

D3 will insert the flag object for you when CTF is played. You'll need to insert the lines GOALS2,GOALPERTEAM exactly like that into the mn3 though.
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Stryker wrote:Set a room as a goal for CTF--the flag will be placed in the center of it. If you want to set a goal face which will change texture when playing CTF, there's a box that you can check called "make current face goal face" or something like that--experiment a little, you'll get it. :)
Stryker,
I did both in Room Properites window.
as far as the textures are concerned, I went to the textures menu, marked the whole room and hit the "Default UV". It fixed one of them, but the second I had to mark the trublemaker, select a good one next to it, and clicked the "Align to current" button. That fixed it.

Fus
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

use the control-click trick. it works much better.
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Stryker wrote:Propagating is when you select a face, hold control, and left-click on a face next to it. The second face will align its texture to the texture from the face you first selected.
Let me see if I got this straight. Let say I have Face "a" that is bad, and right next to it, Face "b" is good. If I select a, hold control and left click w/my mouse face b, this will fix a?
Liquid Fire wrote:use the control-click trick. it works much better.
LF,
By the time Stryker gave me his first answer, I had already fixed the faces as I described. TY for the tip tho. :)

Fus
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

No, select b, hold control, and click a. That will align the texture on the face you click from the face you have selected.
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Well, here is a wireframe pic of it. I am open for lev name ideas and wep choices.

Fus

Edit: It still has some kinks to debug, details to be added, as all levs need. I'll release eventually.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

*cough*halcyon*cough*

oh i mean nice job! ;)
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Duper wrote:*cough*halcyon*cough*

oh i mean nice job! ;)
wha'd you mean by that? :?
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

It doesn't look like Halcyon a'tall.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Kyouryuu wrote:It doesn't look like Halcyon a'tall.
p'shaw, I was kidding. The basic design resembles Halcyon's. nothing mroe, nothing less. ;)

It actually looks much bigger than Hal.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

Is the map vertical or is that a top shot? I think it would be neat to see a CTF map with some significant vertical motion.
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Darkside Heartless wrote:Is the map vertical or is that a top shot?
DH,
The oriantion of the pic is from the top. So yes, it is a "top shot", as you put it.

Fus
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I thought about (and tried to build) a vertical variation of Halcyon at some point. It was basically a really long shaftway with a column down the center and pipes that branched off (to dodge around). The base entrances were totally 360º. It was pretty dizzying though and I believed it was probably a bit too hardcore.

Probably something worth trying again though.
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

TY Stryker and LF for that Control/Mouse Click tip. That has fixed an issue that happed when I did the Default UV to marked Faces that I did in my goal room. :D :D

Oh, BTW.. This is prob smaller that Halcyon.

Edit: TY Stryker for a lev name. Still awaiting answers to my weps q and what is/where can I get latest ver of D3edit. (My copy is Ver 1.1 [Beta9|Atan 0.3_3g])

Fus
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

New Question:

I want to insert spawn rooms similar in concept to the ones in VV, Waltz, (and other levs) where you fly out of the "walls" to get back into the game. How do I accomplish this?

Fus
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

This is actually fairly simple. First attach your spawn room to the level

Then edit one of the rooms and put a face over the portal you just created, making sure the normals point in the right direction

That's it. now someone will be able to spawn in one room and travel through the wall because the normal is facing away from them. once on the other side, however, they can't travel back because the normal is facing them.

Edit: the spawn point I have is in the wrong room, but I'm too lazy to go back and fix it now. just live with it.
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

TY LF.
I knew there had to be a way. :D After I insert this "false wall" in, will the person in the spawn room see what is happening outside of it, like you can in VV?

Fus
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

Yes. The person in the spawn room can see and fire through the wall.
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Stryker wrote:Propagating is when you select a face, hold control, and left-click on a face next to it. The second face will align its texture to the texture from the face you first selected.
Oh, BTW. For the official record, to accomplish this, according to what I read somewhere, the key-mouse combo is Ctrl-Alt-Left Mouse click.

Fus
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Ok LF,
got a prob. :?
In order to creat the "false wall", I copy/pasted a face that was the exact same dimensions as my portal and put it into place. Now Verify Mine and Verify Room is complaining about a duplicate face. Now what? Was I suppose to make the new face in the Current Room screen, inserting Verts and making the new face?

Fus
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

Doesn't really matter. If you took that room with the two duplicate walls, attached it to the level, and then verified the mine, it would show no duplicate walls, because one of them would be a portal.
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

So I should worry then that Verify Mine is gonna complain about Dup faces then?

Fus
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

No, it'll complain in verify room, but once you attach the room to the mine (thereby making one of the faces in question a portal) the error should go away.

Of course, you could just skip that little spot of heartburn and put the extra face in after you attach the room.
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Liquid Fire wrote:Of course, you could just skip that little spot of heartburn and put the extra face in after you attach the room.
That's what I am trying to do, but it is being a real bear.:x The Spawn room is already attached, and I am trying to get the false wall face in place right. :x
Here is a pic of what i am trying to do, The portal is the perim where the yellow line is. I want to hide all of the tunnel. I think my prob may be my detail there at the edge.(the black texture) If I send you the .d3l file, think you can get it to co-op 4 me? I plan on having 4 of these guys, but I might change my mind if this is gonna be this much of a bear to fight...

Fus
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

Yeah, the black texture areas are going to give you problems. Here's a cheap little trick: if you turn off the grid and pull the room back a notch (except for the black extentions), you should be able to put the extra face in there without any problems. With the grid off, it will go back so little, no-one will notice the slighly slanted black edges, and you shouldn't get any errors. Of course, doing so may require you to insert new faces where you've pulled back, and some faces may become non-planar, so it might be easier to either work the architecture differently or just remove it altogether.

Edit: looks like no-one told you where the newest version of d3edit is. As it so happens, atan released a new test version with lots of nice little features. Get it here
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

LF,
Thx for the linky, I have d/led it. :D But to keep my sanity, I have it in a seperate folder so I don't forget which is new, and which is old.
At the time of this post, Duper is fixing my issues for me...Can't wait to see what he has done. :) I just hope I can repeat it in the future if I need to. :?

Fus
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

FYI for other.

What I did was inside the archway in the pic above, I made the arch part of the large room and build a face as advised earlier in this thread and moved the portal back to where the arch meets the hall.

I had to reconstruct to do this, but it worked.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

By the way, it's nice to see someone doing doorframes in Descent 3. That and the entire concept of trim eludes most Descent 3 levels ;)
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Kyouryuu wrote:By the way, it's nice to see someone doing doorframes in Descent 3. That and the entire concept of trim eludes most Descent 3 levels ;)
TY for the compliment, it is a detail that is repeated throughout most of the level. There are a couple of places I forgot to insert that detail in, Maybe I should correct that eventually... Another thing on my "Things to Fix/Add" list. We'll see.

Fus
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Duper wrote:FYI for other.

What I did was inside the archway in the pic above, I made the arch part of the large room and build a face as advised earlier in this thread and moved the portal back to where the arch meets the hall.

I had to reconstruct to do this, but it worked.
A large round of applause to Duper, showing me how he fixed my problem.

<[NuB2]Fusion applauds Duper in a large circular motion>

Now that that problem has been solved, is there a texture of stars in D3edit? If yes, please direct me to the section to look in, and the name of the texture? If there is no Starfield texture, where can I find a walkthru on making my own? I have the source .gif file I want to use, can convert to .ogf using the D3 Image Tool app...I just need to know how to feed it into the textures of D3edit. :?

Fus
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

To my knowledge, there isn't. Hit me on AIM; I'll show you how it's done. It's kind of a long explanation. :)
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Stryker wrote:To my knowledge, there isn't. Hit me on AIM; I'll show you how it's done. It's kind of a long explanation. :)
ok, but I'll use ICQ on my end. :)

Fus
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

The only texture that looks remotely like stars is probably the "oil slick" texture, believe it or not. There might be something in the "Terrain" texture tab too. Ironic that a game in space doesn't have a general starfield texture ;)
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

I'm walking him through setting up a custom .ogf for a starfield. :)
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Stryker wrote:I'm walking him through setting up a custom .ogf for a starfield. :)
...And have been walked.
Huh. Where did that leash come from? :? :P

TY Stryker. :D

Fus
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Ok, so it isn't a Texture question, but it is my string...
That being said:

I am thinking of inserting the Scripting tutorial from Kyouryuu's website. So far all I have is the Win 1.4 SDK from PD. The instructions to get a compiler (ECGS or whatever the heck it is) is major confusing. :? :? I am running WinXP Pro w/SP2. Instructions for getting this ECGS? How do I get it to talk to my D3edit? KISS answers please? :?

Fus
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Gotta problem:

I have some textures in certain sections that look like some1 took a pair of scissors and cut sections out of the textures. I also have some other texture issues as well.(The [in]famous Wall of Mirrors, I believe Stryker called it) :? Screenshots are available on request.

Fus