Perfectionism

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Perfectionism

Post by Krom »

Since I run a FTP server on my connection I keep a copy of all my MP3s on the server, reasons are: so someone can download them if they wish, they can also see what I have already, and itâ??s a redundant copy on a different hard drive in a different computer, I keep a pretty sharp eye on making sure the files between the two computers match.

I was comparing my servers MP3 folder to my main computers MP3 folder, found that my main computers folder was 142 bytes larger, even though they both had the same number of files and folders. I immediately went hunting to find which of the 5,828 files & 248 folders were larger. I found one file on the main computer that had an ID3v1 tag on it that the server version did not have. Copied the server version over and replaced the main computer MP3 (since they both had ID3v2 tags the v1 tag was redundant and unnecessary). Both computers MP3 folders now match exactly to 20,697,537,452 bytes and I was happy, then the thought struck me...am I a perfectionist or what? I forced myself to find and repair a difference of one hundred and forty two bytes, out of twenty billion, six hundred ninety seven million, five hundred thirty seven thousand, four hundred and fifty two bytes.

-Krom
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I am too man, as are billions of others. Welcome to the club.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

You definitely have too much time on your hands!

But I have to confess, I made about 1000 MP3s from my Vinyl collection, and after recording, editing and naming them, I entered all the ID3v2 data manually! The comment says it all:

"Ripped by M0b1u5
FCUK YOU RIAA. Image"
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Krom, if you had busted out visual studio and wrote a comparison app to find the one that was different, then I would say yes Image

Should've used TagScanner, Mobi, I did my entire 6000 track collection with it in under 2 months.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

I think perfectionism and Descent run and in hand. I'm working on a D3 map, and there's a mismatched portal in the mine somewhere, and I've been looking for it for almost a month. It's driving me insane.(not a long trip though Image )
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Finding the file was actually rather easy, since I have the folders all nicely catigorized, it was just a matter of hitting properties on a few subdirs to find the dir with the file, then abusing my multi monitor display to compare the files, was easy to spot because one had a different date modified. So I loaded the server copy and the main computer copy into winamp and the same time, looked at the tags and found the extra tag instantly.

As for editing tags, I use winamps media library to do mass editing. I can use a program such as id3kill to strip all the tags off a file, then I use winamp to automatically create new ones with the media library, gets everything right on the first try even. All I have to do is enter in the album and artist.
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

OMG you guys are starting to scare me...
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Meathead:
I think perfectionism and Descent run and in hand. I'm working on a D3 map, and there's a mismatched portal in the mine somewhere, and I've been looking for it for almost a month. It's driving me insane.(not a long trip though Image )</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm.

1. File... Verify Mine.
2. Open a text editor.
3. Paste.

It tells you where to find it Image
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Krom
I hope you are not an engineer. Too many engineers are perfectionists. You can always tell one because he never gets anything done.

There is an old saying that applies here: Donâ??t try to make it perfect. Instead, try to make it as perfect as you can in the time allowed.

The trick is realizing that you never have as much time as you think you do.
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

you need a g/f dude
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Lol. You'd be a good video game tester Krom. Because it's like, you have to have stuff perfect and like, that would mean no bugs.... Which would be... good.. yeh... Image
Fugue
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Fugue »

Dedman: Too many engineers are the other way around too. Just wanting to get it done. They usually make a sloppy job of it too, requiring someone with more attention to detail to fix it.

Number one rule in design: the KISS method, Keep It Simple Stupid.

-Fugue
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Very good, young grasshopper. Image
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Nice app testi - thanks! Image
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Fugue:
<b> Dedman: Too many engineers are the other way around too. Just wanting to get it done. They usually make a sloppy job of it too, requiring someone with more attention to detail to fix it.

Number one rule in design: the KISS method, Keep It Simple Stupid.

-Fugue</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a good point. Although I don't know a lot with the attributes you mensioned, it really depends on the application being discussed.

It is critical in any situation to know what amount of detail is really needed.