My weekend at the Formula SAE competition (56k = no)

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

My weekend at the Formula SAE competition (56k = no)

Post by Vindicator »

Went to the Formula SAE competition last week in Detroit, representing Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, and had a blast. For those unfamiliar, Formula SAE-style cars are small, open-wheeled single seaters with a max engine size of 610cc. Its a college design competition thats pretty well-known in the auto industry.

In order to compete in the dynamic events, you must first pass a series of tests. Tech inspection is first, to ensure that your car conforms to the rules. Next your car gets filled with fuel and put on the tilt table, where its tilted at a 60 degree angle for 30 seconds or so to check for leaks. If it passes, then it goes to the noise test (max allowed noise is 110db) and the brake test (must accelerate for a bit, then lock all four wheels to check for working brakes). Only after passing all these, and getting the stickers for them, can you compete in the events (acceleration, skidpad, autocross, and 13-mile endurance).

Tilt table (not our car):

Got there Wednesday, had to finish a few things on the car (it had been driven for the first time on Tuesday night).

Thursday: Raining and chilly. We went through tech for the first time and failed for several reasons:
- The fuel filler neck was outside the roll cage.
- Our brake overtravel switch didn't work.
- Our nosepiece was too pointy (had to have a half-inch radius on it).
- The numbers on our car were white with a black outline, and the rules stated they had to have a black background. This was fixed with good old electrical tape. *sigh*

So we had to fix all these problems. For the first, we sawzalled off the existing neck and attached a new plastic hose with hose clamps. This failed since the hose was too stiff and the clamps were unable to get a good seal, which lead to leaking and much consternation. The overtravel switch issue was solved with a steel bar, some self-tapping screws, and a 5 cent toggle switch. The nosepiece... well... needless to say our really nice fiberglass job was desecrated.

The non-conforming filler neck and car number:

Fixed the number and the filler neck (passed tech but leaked bad): Image

Our nosepiece, uglified:

We also realized that our engine (single cylinder out of a Honda 400EX, with a cam and bored to 440) was too loud to pass the noise test, so we got some steel mesh and fiberglass and made a tampon and shoved it in the muffler. It was held in place with a single layer of mesh. This proved to be inadequate, since the exhaust had so much pressure. It blew out in short order. We made another tampon and held it in place with 4 layers of the steel mesh and it held. We passed noise with 103db.

Friday: Warm and sunny. Tilt table closed at noon so we were there bright and early to get the car finished and through tech. We tried another style of tubing for the filler neck, and were relieved to find that it worked.

(You can see the MSU (Minnesota State University-Mankato) sticker on our car. On the way to the competition, the team from MSU got in a wreck and killed 3 people. They were handing out stickers for people to put on their car, and most teams had em on.)

Having passed tech and the tilt table and noise tests, we had to do braking last. Thanks to a research effort at SIUC called the Center for Advanced Friction Studies, we were the only team there to have full carbon-carbon brakes. They were easily the most powerful brakes there and had no problems passing the brake test.

Acceleration and skidpad trials were closed by the time we made it through tech, so we decided to concentrate on practicing for the autocross and enduro. During practice our exhaust tampon blew out for the second time, but having already passed the noise test we decided not to fix it unless one of the judges mentioned it. :P

Unfortunatly, practice also revealed a critical flaw in our suspension design. When turning right at 20mph, the rod end on the left front lower A-arm gave out.

The same part on the other side of the car was bent, so rather than risk another failure we decided to fix it enough to pass tech again (they yanked our tech sticker when it failed, so we couldnt compete until it was fixed and certified again) and skip the autocross and enduro, and just do some dyno runs. This car was absolutely ghetto anyway and we missed the deadline for the design competition, so we were basically there for the experience no matter what happened. Our single cylinder with 15hp (restricted) was no match for the teams with 80hp R6's with Motec fuel injection.

The highlight of the week was a banquet sponsored by Honda, in which all the teams were invited and they held a raffle for 3 engines. Amazingly enough, our team won one of them! Karma, eh? Its a CBR600RR3, a factory race motor thats not even in production yet. Its going in our 2007 car, along with Motec and a pair of turbos >:)

Me sitting in the car after all the electrical tape, restrictors, and exhaust tampons had been removed. This was after we broke and decided not to continue.

I took over 300 pictures, mostly of other teams' cars. I'll post some of them in the next few days. Some of those cars were just mind-blowing in their design and execution. The car we're planning for next year will use an R6 engine and will be a much more focused effort than this year's car was (the frame was built by seniors who graduated and took all the plans with them). So look for us to climb the rankings next year and the year after.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

So you actually design and build the car from the ground up as a univ project? That's pretty awesome in my book!

I can understand if the suspension gives in because you couldn't test it properly, but how on earth did you manage to have a leaking filler neck and other details wrong when obviously so much effort went into putting this car together?

If my univ hosted such a project I would be SO there ;)

Looks like a hell of a time regardless of the setbacks! Awesome :D
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

Dude... you were about 6 miles from my house!

Sorry to hear about the team... tragic. :(
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Tricord wrote:I can understand if the suspension gives in because you couldn't test it properly, but how on earth did you manage to have a leaking filler neck and other details wrong when obviously so much effort went into putting this car together?
Part of it was due to rule changes that we overlooked (like the half-inch radius on the nose), part of it was due to variations in how strict each tech inspector was (the background on the number). The filler neck was originally made of aluminum and welded to the gas tank; it was only when we had to cut it off and relocate it when the problems started. Its not uncommon for teams to have to fix one thing or another to pass tech inspection.

There were teams there from Japan, Finland, Australia, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, and South Korea. Belgium wouldnt be too far of a stretch ;)
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

I don't think there's enough money to pay for such projects at my uni ;)

So I built my own race car using ~20+ year old parts from various BMW's. And it held up great! Anybody interested in pics? I might start another thread about it.

Sucks that tech inspection is so picky over details. Last track day here tech inspection was skipped due to not enough time. Lucky for me, cause they wouldn't have liked the big rustholes in the wheelwells :D
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Nice job and great post, Vindy, looks like it was alot of fun. Are you heading for an auto design/engineering sort of degree? :thumbup:
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Did you see LeTourneau University there? Our team looked like they where going to do pretty well.... I'll have to go look at the results to see how they did.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

I think i heard LeTourneau mentioned over the loudspeaker once, does that count? :P

bash: I'm going for a mechanical engineering major, math minor. Should be around for a while since I changed majors, but on the bright side I'll also get to work on 2 or 3 race cars :)

Heres some of the more interesting pictures I took.

University of Missouri-Rolla. They finished 9th overall.

UT-Arlington.

University of South Florida. Really cool bunch of guys. They had the same kind of 'we're not gonna win but we're gonna go down fighting' kind of attitude we did.

Texas A&M.

Don't know which team this was offhand. I took this pic on Wednesday evening. They had dismantled the entire rear subframe and were scrubbing the hell out of all the pieces with steel wool. Way too much time on their hands.

North Carolina State, one of a handful of turbocharged cars. They finished 7th.

Kansas State, another turbo car.

Crush zone made of beer cans and spray foam. :P

Kansas. I honestly dont know how they passed the driver height requirement.

Nice wiring job. These cars may be small but theyre fiendishly complex.

Helsinki Polytechnic. Whenever they wheeled this car around the paddock, people stopped what they were doing and stared. They weren't all that fast but the attention to detail was amazing.

Drexel. I think only 4 or 5 cars there had aerodynamic aids.

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

That is pretty damn cool.

I guess the wheelbase rule must have been very restrictive. Dunno how keen I'd be to drive something so short. The tendency to reach out and bit your butt is high I imagine!
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

Ah, open-wheel goodness! Looks like fun.