pop-ups

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

pop-ups

Post by Spaceboy »

my lil sis went through the computer deleting random files because she felt like it...

every 10 seconds an ad pops up, and its seriously slowing the internet, also making it impossible to play any game on the computer...

Edit: also i have some weird virus that links any word i see on the computer (even in microsoft word... even in paint...) like games, or boot, or internet... etc... anybody else have that problem?
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Nope, don't have that problem.
Sorry you have to use Windows. :(

Run adaware and install and use firefox instead of internet exploder.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

www.ravantivirus.com

Use Adaware

Install google toolbar for IE or..
use Firefox.
Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Asrale »

Download & run Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and the trial version of Spy Sweeper (Google them if you need the links). You got 'dem spywarez! :P

Also, if you plan on still using IE, crank up its security settings. If you're going to switch to Firefox, crank up IE's settings all the way, and disable it as the automatic Web browser (there's a setting that will let you not use it as your default Web browser).
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Asrale wrote:If you're going to switch to Firefox, crank up IE's settings all the way
hey that's a good idea. (goes and does it)
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

What's a pop-up? ;) I've been using ZoneAlarm Securtiy suite for a while now. Plus I all way keep Spyware Doctor and Ad-aware-watch constantly active. It is extremely rare that I ever see a pop-up ad or get cookie trackers of any kind.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Thats what your sister gets for using an insecure browser. ;)

www.mozilla.org Get either Mozilla Suite (if either of you doesn't use web-based mail) or FireFox if you do have web-based mail. Frankly, I use both equally.

www.lavasoftusa.com Download Adaware SE. Be sure to run the update function built into the program before you scan!

www.spybot.info Download Spybot Search & Destroy. This program has a habit of finding certain pieces of garbage that Adaware doesn't detect, and vice versa.

Hijack This! Run this after using Adaware and Spybot, and copy & paste the log it generates here and we'll pick it apart.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/

I suggest you goto this site and start reading up.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

free antivirus

Post by Ned »

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

a free antivirus that seems to work pretty well

Ive been getting popups coming through Firefox restrictions recently, I think with JAVA.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Adblock + filterset.g
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

pop ups have stopped comming up and ive used alot of those... but the screen still freezes alot when im on the internet-

i can still move the mouse, and if i click something it will look like im holding it down for a few seconds until things start to register. is it a hard drive problem?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

no spaceboy, your computer is being bogged down.
it's either too slow for what you are running (perhaps in the background). it's possible it's running things you don't want it to, ie: adware/spyware, but that's not nessesary for the computer to be slowed down like that. mine does it often.

is there anything in particular that makes you think it's a hard drive problem?
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

nope.. just the fact that that i ran a ton of anti spyware anti adware programs and it still froze...

along with the fact it just randomly started one day... i dont know what.
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

MD-2389 wrote:Hijack This! Run this after using Adaware and Spybot, and copy & paste the log it generates here and we'll pick it apart.
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

i cant...

- tried but ----ed off my dad
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Go to this page and follow the directions exactly as they are printed. If you are still having trouble after that post a HiJackThis log.
World War Woodi
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by World War Woodi »

IMHO,This should be stickied in every tech forum on the internet.

Perhaps you are at that hated point where you wish you had backed up everything so you can drop back 10 and punt. It's happened to me before where it is the last straw and time to wipe it and reinstall.

Nothing takes every single piece of multiple attacks from spy and adware out all the time, some stuff just cant be taken out completly I've found. After awhile of battling it and futile attempts to regain the speed I one had browsing,It's just time to nuke it, and start over, :)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Spaceboy wrote:i cant...

- tried but ----ed off my dad
Click the save log button. ;)

Then just save it somewhere you know where to look, open it in notepad, and copy and paste the contents into a post.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

also try House Call by Micro Trend. It's good and Free.
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Spaceboy,
Not know what OS you are running, It also might be a good idea to try to get any updates to your OS from Microsoft using the updater program. If your an XP machine, SP2 might also help as well. You might want to look into getting more Ram. Also, shutting down any unness processes as well, that can bog down the CPU real bad.

Just a few suggetions.
Fus
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Woodi, you're right. This is where it comes in handy to have a process explorer to get the executable names, find their paths, reboot into command-line safe mode and delete'em manually.