Patch Status

Feedback for the Outrage Entertainment D3 dev team members - bug reports, patch issues, your raves (or rants).
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

GehRehmee wrote:"Thanks for paying for your game, sorry you can't play with 95% of the other players."
Change that to:
"Thanks for paying for your computer, sorry you can't use it with 95% of the software on the market."
And you will have it just about right.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

ya know..

If you checked the server list. the Number of 1.4 far ourstrips the number of 1.5. Also, I've seen most playing (all of 30 people or so) have been in the 1.4 servers. :)

Vortex baby. ;)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Patch Status

Post by Top Gun »

Topher67 wrote:Hypothetically speaking, letâ??s say someone released the source code (acquired by whatever means). What do you think would happen?
For the best-case scenario, take a look at Freespace 2's Source Code Project. Something like that would be the best thing to ever happen to Descent.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Top Gun wrote:
Topher67 wrote:Hypothetically speaking, letâ??s say someone released the source code (acquired by whatever means). What do you think would happen?
For the best-case scenario, take a look at Freespace 2's Source Code Project. Something like that would be the best thing to ever happen to Descent.
★■◆● yeah! That could easily get quite a few players back.
GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

Top Gun wrote:For the best-case scenario, take a look at Freespace 2's Source Code Project. Something like that would be the best thing to ever happen to Descent.
Linky link link: http://icculus.org/freespace2/
Oddly enough, the same host I suggested for an open-source Descent 3. :)
GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

GehRehmee wrote:
Top Gun wrote:For the best-case scenario, take a look at Freespace 2's Source Code Project. Something like that would be the best thing to ever happen to Descent.
Linky link link: http://icculus.org/freespace2/
Oddly enough, the same host I suggested for an open-source Descent 3. :)
Or http://dynamic3.gamespy.com/~freespace/ ... %20Project

Not sure if they're referring to the same thing or what exactly. Just googling around. The actual FS2Open website (http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/fsscp/) seems to be broken. WHOIS says the domain expired April 10th.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Oh man, VolitionWatch finally bit the bit one. :(

In reference to your question, GehRehmee, the first site you posted was for the Linux port of FS2. As far as I know, the Linux code has been fully integrated with the main SCP. The second link you posted is from the Freespace community's Wiki; it has details on installing the SCP. You can find the official site of the SCP, as well as all of the downloads necessary to run it, here.
GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

ah, cool. somebody should get that updated in the wiki, and beat google around until it sees the new site.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Actually, if you look under the page "Downloading and Installing," there's a link to the SCP site.

(Wow, this has really gone off-topic, hasn't it? :P)
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

Kevin Bentley wrote:I'm going to use this thread to update on what is happening with the patch. Last night I got the Linux version building (no small task, code has a tendancy to break after sitting still too long, and Loki used lots of utility programs I had to find and get compiled). Now that it is building I've got to do some testing and some manual code merging, then more testing...

Does anyone have a copy of the Loki version of D3? I never got a CD from Loki, and I need it to make sure the patch works. Please email me at kevin@kevlar.net if you do. If you know where it can be purchased, that works too.

Oh, BTW, if you are wondering why many emails to me have gone unanswered in the past, it's probably mostly due to SpamAssassin catching them. I get so much spam and I've set my threshold to 2, which gets almost everything not in my whitelist. I go through the spam folder occasionally, but with hundreds of spam per day, I miss a few. I'm going to setup some sort of challenge/response system in the future I think....
Hahahah uh that just breaks me up. I almost believed it. heheh :D
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

Krom wrote:Change that to:
"Thanks for paying for your computer, sorry you can't use it with 95% of the software on the market."
Not really.

I can't expect some software written for Windows to ever run on my Linux system, and I don't. On the other hand, if there is a native Linux version of a software product (say, an action game), I can really expect it to actually be usable on Linux. I've purchased the product to run under Linux and I should be able to.

Edit:
By the way, was it once said that the copyright to the source code is owned by Matt Toschlog? Has anyone tried contacting him? Hint: toschlog.com
GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

Delkian wrote:
Krom wrote:I can't expect some software written for Windows to ever run on my Linux system, and I don't. On the other hand, if there is a native Linux version of a software product (say, an action game), I can really expect it to actually be usable on Linux. I've purchased the product to run under Linux and I should be able to.
Right. That's why I'm concerned. They did release a native Linux version (through a 3rd party developer, Loki), which I did pay for.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Delkian wrote:
Krom wrote:Change that to:
Not really.

I can't expect some software written for Windows to ever run on my Linux system, and I don't.
I think he ment Mac's ;)

Delkian wrote:Edit:
By the way, was it once said that the copyright to the source code is owned by Matt Toschlog? Has anyone tried contacting him? Hint: toschlog.com
Just did. Will post if there're any results..
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

Grendel wrote:I think he ment Mac's ;)
Whatever. The same applies with the exception that I don't have a Mac. Some other people do.
Thanks!
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

I see I am no closer to eating my hat.

Excellent!
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Mobius: That's cause your head's so far up your ass it's already reached your stomach. ;)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Grendel wrote:
Delkian wrote:Edit:
Nada -- will resend once..
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Matt T. wrote:I'll talk to Kevin and see if he and I can get it together enough to get this thing finished. Bug me again in a few weeks if you haven't heard back from me.
:D

I'll stay on it, please be patient. Maybe, just maybe, there's light at the end of the tunnel.. :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

....Matt T. ... as in THE Matt T. ????? o_0
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I don't understand why youguys keep bringing up the 1.5 patch? It's never coming out. Geez, it's been what, 4 yrs since they said it was coming? They/He won't release it, they/he don't have time/money to work on it. D3 is dead and buried 6 times over for them. Just look at how many people are playing now, maybe 20 at most online at one time. No one in their right minds would spend time on a patch for that many players for a game that is 6 years old.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Duper wrote:....Matt T. ... as in THE Matt T. ????? o_0
Yes. Gives it some credibility, doesn't it ? ;)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

CDN_Merlin wrote:I don't understand why youguys keep bringing up the 1.5 patch? It's never coming out. Geez, it's been what, 4 yrs since they said it was coming? They/He won't release it, they/he don't have time/money to work on it. D3 is dead and buried 6 times over for them. Just look at how many people are playing now, maybe 20 at most online at one time. No one in their right minds would spend time on a patch for that many players for a game that is 6 years old.
waaahhhhhh!!!

But if it does come out, it will help soo much.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Xamindar wrote:
waaahhhhhh!!!

But if it does come out, it will help soo much.
If??? WTF you smoking. Tell me one game that had a patch promised to be out and hasn't come out in about 4 yrs and still make the light of day. Name me just one.

The 1.5 is dead. Just live with it and go on with your life. If you think Matt or anyone else will waste their time with this, you are mistaken.

If you believe the patch is still coming after 2 yrs of no updates, then I've got beach front property to sell you up in Greenland.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Tell me one game that had a patch promised to be out and hasn't come out in about 4 yrs and still make the light of day.
Starcraft.

But all the same, 1.5 is dead. I think Matt Toschlog might want to move on with his life. There is life outside of Descent, even for the president of Parallax. :(
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Dcrazy, Starcraft is still being played by thousands. not the measly 20 or so for D3. Big diff there and not a good comparison.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

What's your problem ? No GF ? I agree that w/ that attitude nothing will ever happen.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Hell, I'm just impressed that you were even able to get a response from Matt T. That, at least, says he hasn't completely forgotten about the Descent community.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Grendel wrote:
Matt T. wrote:I'll talk to Kevin and see if he and I can get it together enough to get this thing finished. Bug me again in a few weeks if you haven't heard back from me.
:D

I'll stay on it, please be patient. Maybe, just maybe, there's light at the end of the tunnel.. :)
I have to say, that looks very promising. Just the fact that he admitted to wanting to finish it is something... I'll take that.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

CDN_Merlin wrote:If you believe the patch is still coming after 2 yrs of no updates, then I've got beach front property to sell you up in Greenland.
I'll take it! :P

Seriously, I understand ya Merlin. I'm not holding my breath. I keep on playing D3 with the silly work-arounds until one day it will not be playable at all. Then I will just set up some anciant computers to play it on. There is always a way. I will teach my children the ways of Descent, I will raise them right!
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Merlin, you asked for an example. I gave you one. You can't turn around and say "but it's not D3 so the comparison is invalid!". But it's inconsequential since my reply was completely in jest, because I understand that complete unlikeliness of the 1.5 patch coming out.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Dcrazy, I aksed for an example that was like D3, where the game has been out about 6 years, has 20 so players, and has had a patch prmoised for the last 4 yrs. You didn't give me one.

I don't want Descent to die either but people need to wake up and realize that the 1.5 patch will never come out from the original source.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

No, people need to wake up and realize there are games other than Descent3. Also that there is an outside and they should go there more.

Give him a break, the man has a family, he wants to work hard on a job that actually pays and not screw around on a damned game thats been dead longer than Enterprise has been on air. Stop being selfish people.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Top Wop wrote:No, people need to wake up and realize there are games other than Descent3. Also that there is an outside and they should go there more.

Give him a break, the man has a family, he wants to work hard on a job that actually pays and not screw around on a damned game thats been dead longer than Enterprise has been on air. Stop being selfish people.
<vox_futurus>In that case, lets just shut down DBB and PlanetDescent for good, and expunge #Descent3 from Gamesurge, Hmmmmm?</vox_futurus>

I agree that we shouldnt pester the guy but as long as there are game fans, it will live on.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Descent 3 pwns you. Also that new win32 d2x is pretty sweet. =)
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

The point im trying to make is that its just a game and there are some people out there who cant seem to let go.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

while there are other games out there Topwop, most of them just suck.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

JUST a game? Don't make me slap you.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Ferno wrote:while there are other games out there Topwop, most of them just suck.
Which is why the last time I bought a PC game from a store was when Freespace2 came out. I've yet to run across a game that was actually decent.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Same thing here, MD. The only games I've bought more recent than D3/FS2 are the Myst series and a few PS2/GBA games. D2 and D3 are the only games I play multiplayer, and Descent/Freespace are pretty much all I play on the PC, period. I can't stand the whole FPS genre, I'm not a huge fan of RTSes, and I've never played an RPG. I'm not what you'd call a mass-market gamer. If it's not a platformer or Descent/Freespace, I'm probably not going to be playing it. :P
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Personally I like the 6DOF acronym that the Core Decision folks are pushing.

If the big name gaming co's would come out with another true 6DOF then I would be very likely to check it out.

Of course the words snowball and hell spring to mind. :evil: