How old is everyone and how long have you played Descent

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.

When did you start?

Descent 1
83%
Descent 2
11%
Descent 3
6%

Total votes: 209
Riot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

How old is everyone and how long have you played Descent

Post by Riot »

I'm 21 now, nearly 22, and started when I was either 13 or something when I got a 50 Games shareware CD. I STILL have the CD.

I was up at the Software Factory Outlet with my Dad one day and there was something amazing. Descent 2. Oh.. my.. gosh, I was so excited. So he bought it for me! I was like a kid in a candy store! I was reading the box and instructions all the way home! I COULD USE THE FUSION CANNON! Then we went home and couldn't belive that CRAZY install took 450 megs! ON OUR not-color monitor! So, it took us a while, then we finally got a new monitor, then I got to play it and OH MAN was it awesome. I'll never forget playing with the switches and being confused out of my mind in level 1.

You guys?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

D1 demo
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Been in Vertigo for over 10 years

Descent 1 Kali Whore
Descent 2 Kali Whore
Descent 3 Kali Whore / KQuery Launch

Not many Material Defenders play All 3 because they have major issues grasping the differences!!!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Really don't remember when I started playing the D1 demo, which was strictly first I guess...

But I first started playing D2 registered when I was 10, in early 1997... I'm now 18.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

I was 23 when Descent first came out. My brother-n-law and I played modem to modem (mine 14.4k and his 28.8k)back in those days. Come to think of it. I even had the ol 486 Dx266 w/Win3.1 back then. Had to upgrade to a P166 w/MMX Win95 to play Descent 2. I didn't play nore did I know about Kali untill 3 months after Descent 2 came out. So we used to play over at HEAT.NET. Ummm brings back some good ol memorys.... :)
So now I'm 33 going on 34 in August and still play all three games online when I get a chance! 8)
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Im 42
I started on D1demo.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I have no idea how old I was (I'm 18 now, so I would have to have been around 12-13 or so), but I started out watching a neighbor across the street play D2, and I joined in a few games myself. (I have no memory of how awful I was.) My parents bought me the Definitive Collection for my birthday (a fact for which I'm always grateful), and I used to play D2 singleplayer all the time on our old Gateway 2000 P-166 that recently kicked the bucket. :P I could never get D1 to run properly, since I had no knowledge of DOS, and considering that I didn't have Internet access at home until 2001, I missed out on the golden ages of both D2 and D3. I first saw D3 played at the same neighbor's house; I remember thinking that the new shield orb model looked amazing when compared to the old animated sprite. Although D3 is my favorite of the series, I'll always be up for a game of D2 during one of the Revivals, and I'd be willing to play D1 if my USB stick worked in D1X.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

will be 23 here soon, started playing 11 years ago with the d1 demo. i played all 3, but always preferred the original.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Played ever since the D1 demo was released. I was walking around the electronics section of Sams Club (for those of you that don't know, Sams is a wholesaler. Its the eastern US' equivilent of Costco for those of you in the western US.) and I spotted it on a display computer. I had no idea what it was, but I tried to play anyways. I didn't know how to move the ship back and forth, so all I did was move around and fire missiles. ;) Whoever had played it last left it on level 2, down by the hostage room. Ever since then, I was hooked and got the game as soon as it came out on CD. Been playing ever since.

btw, I turned 24 back on the 22nd of May.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

D1 Demo, 39.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

18 now, started on D1 shareware when I was 9. But it's not like I ever played all that much anyway. :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

43 here, started with D1 demo.
jehu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by jehu »

D1 teasers/trailers before D1 demo was released :D

older than all of the above, so we'll just say "old enough to know better, but young enough to still try" ...
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Nineteen now, but I started with D1 shareware whenever it came out so I was, well, let's do the math... 9? Yikes.

edit: And, yes, Heat.net always did pwn for D2.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

17 now, started D3 in December 2001... that would have made me what, 14?
Jediluke
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jediluke »

i was first introduced to descent by my friend pokey. As soon as he fired a smart missile i knew for SURE that i was dead. It was impossible for me to dodge one...yet somehow he could.
It was then that i knew...i had to play as much as humanly possible and improve.
i didn't come along until after 130k others had already registered kali. D2 was well established by that time. I played on case's D1 ladder when it had around 200 or more active players on it...and remember thinking i'll NEVER be good enough to be in the top 50. Guess I was wrong. ;)

I'm 30 now.
--Jediluke
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

older than you and D1 1.2 :mrgreen:
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

35 going on 14 started on the D1 demo
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

D2 started it all for me. I'm 24 now and I started playing when I was 16. Doesn't seem like it has been 8 years already, but time flies when you're a Kali whore. In retrospect, I started playing D1 around the same time and it took over as my favorite. Something about slinging that damn purple around :P

D2 will always have a soft spot in my heart though.

btw, Jeds sucked ;)
Motorman!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Motorman! »

23 now, and I started with D1 Demo when I was 14. Feels like yesterday...
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

38 Male Chicago! Wanna go pryvit?!!1

Uhh, started playing D1 in 97-98 or so. Never played D2, went right into D3.

Woo Woo! I'm younger than Grendel!
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

I'm 48 (but immature for my age.)

Started D1 in ~97
MDX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MDX »

Started with D2 shareware.

My dad brought the game home from work with him, and was playing it when I first noticed. It looked like the most fun I could ask for! Eventually, I got to play it myself.

Later on, I got ahold of D1, then the full version of D2. Now I have D3, meaning I have officially played and beaten the entire Descent series.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

I'm 17 in September.

Started with D1 when I got my first PC.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

I'm 22. Started when I was 12 in 1995 on LAN on my school's brand new pentiums all networked together. =)

EDIT: I never played through the singleplayer of D2 or D3, but I bought D1 for the PlayStation and played through it. That was during the limbo time when I couldn't use Kali because of my crappy ISDN router. That limbo time lasted from early 1998 to the time D3 came out... at which point I still couldn't use Kali, but I could play D3 on Heat.net. =)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

D3's single player is well worth it. Although by literary or film standards the plot is a bit lacking... it's still fairly fun.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

D1 Singleplayer > D2 Singleplayer > D3 Singleplayer

D3 Singleplayer = BARF

It's also a big part of the reason why D3 didn't sell as well as it could have.

EDIT: I'd rather wipe my ass with sandpaper than play the D3 singleplayer.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

To each his own I guess. I found it somewhat better than the multiplayer at times. ;)

Although. Yes... thanks to little um, size things mainly. It wasn't nearly as satisfying as the last two... actually hitting those pesky robots became a problem. Everything seemed ... slippery.
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Your poll only let me vote one time.
I voted for D1 then tried to vote for D2
and only get the results page. So I think
that might be a reason that you have a
high percentage for D1 results. Maybe I
should go look for the cookie that appears
to be planted in my computer!!

I only played D1 shareware back in I think 1997.
I think I started playing D2 in 1998. I
would need to look at my original registration
date to be sure.

As far a age....well lets say that I could be
almost everyone's dad but the wife says I
am 12.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

This board very likely doesn't work like that... information about what polls you have voted in is stored in your account information on the server's side.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

I'm 21 years old and started playing D1 Shareware back on 1996, when i was 11~. I remember that my older brother introduced me to the D1 Shareware since he found it on a CD of a bundled version of Cyberia that came with an IBM Aptiva L-10 PC.

Then i got D1 Full with Levels of the World on early 1997 and later on that same year, i got Descent 2 Registered. Then i became the most descenter of my brothers and on March of 2002, i got Descent 3 and recently, maybe some months ago, i got Descent 2 Vertigo mission and D3 Mercenary (i haven't played it yet).

So, there is my Descent history :D .
SoniC
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by SoniC »

20 Now, started playing when I was about 10 or 11. Cheated my way to #1 on the IDL title at 13. :)
TobyCat
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

lol sonic

Post by TobyCat »

played 3 years of LAN when i was in highschool, then in 98, started my kali days ... 22 now :P
CyberDog!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CyberDog! »

50 years young. Played D1 when it came as a demo on my Dad's IBM Aptiva in 1995.

Got my Mac within a year and have finished D1 and 2. Never finished D3. Just wasn't as much fun.

Recently started D1 again on D2X for OS X. Great game.
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

I'm 23 now, started playing Descent with the D1 demo on the LAN at my high schools computer rooms (On 8Mb 486s running Windows 3.1 to boot. Ran surprisingly well considering we had to run it under Windows to get IPX multiplayer working) when I was about 13-14 (about 1995-96). I lagged a bit in getting the full versions and still haven't got the Windows version of D3 (but I'm working on it, heh).
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Age 24 (soon to be 25 -- hooray for lowered insurance!), started playing when I was about 13 or 14. D1: Destination Saturn -- the OEM version that gave you about half the levels, but had all of the weapons and bots included and allowed you to play multi.
Brambo
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Brambo »

I saw my father play D1 demo many many years ago. Couldn't stay behind so began playing myself. Then ofcourse the full version, Descent2 and finally Descent3. I'm 22 now so I must have been 12 or so.
RUL-
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RUL- »

I had just turned 17 back in May 95'. I remember seeing a commercial for Descent and thought 'wow! that looks cool.' I had some cash left from my birthday money and I went out and bought it. It was the first PC game I ever bought, and still my fav game. I am 27 now.
Juggernaut
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Juggernaut »

started playing descent when I turned 30
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

About ten years ago I got some sort of Descent demo. I can't remember clearly but I think that you could toggle to like wireframe only. I think it was on a floppy. I thought it was cool, but after my computer broke I just never played again until D3. Oh yeah and I am 39 now.