* FAQ    * Search  * Register * Login 
Active topics
Unanswered topics

All times are UTC-06:00



Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 220 posts ]  1 2 3 4 5 6
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:55 pm 
Offline
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 1998 3:01 am
Posts: 15144
ICQ: 46028958
Website: http://krom.d3k.org
AOL: dutenhnj
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?
GehRehmee wrote:
"Thanks for paying for your game, sorry you can't play with 95% of the other players."


Change that to:
"Thanks for paying for your computer, sorry you can't use it with 95% of the software on the market."
And you will have it just about right.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:28 pm 
Offline
DBB Master
DBB Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2001 3:01 am
Posts: 9205
WLM: biffski@yahoo.com
Location: Beaverton, Oregon USA
ya know..


If you checked the server list. the Number of 1.4 far ourstrips the number of 1.5. Also, I've seen most playing (all of 30 people or so) have been in the 1.4 servers. :)

Vortex baby. ;)


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Patch Status
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:26 pm 
Offline
DBB Master
DBB Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 7090
Topher67 wrote:
Hypothetically speaking, letâ??s say someone released the source code (acquired by whatever means). What do you think would happen?

For the best-case scenario, take a look at Freespace 2's Source Code Project. Something like that would be the best thing to ever happen to Descent.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Patch Status
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:34 pm 
Offline
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 13452
Location: Olathe, KS
Top Gun wrote:
Topher67 wrote:
Hypothetically speaking, letâ??s say someone released the source code (acquired by whatever means). What do you think would happen?

For the best-case scenario, take a look at Freespace 2's Source Code Project. Something like that would be the best thing to ever happen to Descent.


Fuck yeah! That could easily get quite a few players back.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Patch Status
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:40 am 
Offline
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 1999 3:01 am
Posts: 604
Website: http://rifetech.com/
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Top Gun wrote:
For the best-case scenario, take a look at Freespace 2's Source Code Project. Something like that would be the best thing to ever happen to Descent.
Linky link link: http://icculus.org/freespace2/
Oddly enough, the same host I suggested for an open-source Descent 3. :)


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Patch Status
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:53 am 
Offline
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 1999 3:01 am
Posts: 604
Website: http://rifetech.com/
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
GehRehmee wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
For the best-case scenario, take a look at Freespace 2's Source Code Project. Something like that would be the best thing to ever happen to Descent.
Linky link link: http://icculus.org/freespace2/
Oddly enough, the same host I suggested for an open-source Descent 3. :)
Or http://dynamic3.gamespy.com/~freespace/fsdoc/index.php?pagename=Freespace%20Source%20Code%20Project

Not sure if they're referring to the same thing or what exactly. Just googling around. The actual FS2Open website (http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/fsscp/) seems to be broken. WHOIS says the domain expired April 10th.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:58 pm 
Offline
DBB Master
DBB Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 7090
Oh man, VolitionWatch finally bit the bit one. :(

In reference to your question, GehRehmee, the first site you posted was for the Linux port of FS2. As far as I know, the Linux code has been fully integrated with the main SCP. The second link you posted is from the Freespace community's Wiki; it has details on installing the SCP. You can find the official site of the SCP, as well as all of the downloads necessary to run it, here.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:02 pm 
Offline
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 1999 3:01 am
Posts: 604
Website: http://rifetech.com/
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ah, cool. somebody should get that updated in the wiki, and beat google around until it sees the new site.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:43 am 
Offline
DBB Master
DBB Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 7090
Actually, if you look under the page "Downloading and Installing," there's a link to the SCP site.

(Wow, this has really gone off-topic, hasn't it? :P)


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Patch Status
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:01 pm 
Offline
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 155
Website: http://www.gameedit.net
Location: New York
Kevin Bentley wrote:
I'm going to use this thread to update on what is happening with the patch. Last night I got the Linux version building (no small task, code has a tendancy to break after sitting still too long, and Loki used lots of utility programs I had to find and get compiled). Now that it is building I've got to do some testing and some manual code merging, then more testing...

Does anyone have a copy of the Loki version of D3? I never got a CD from Loki, and I need it to make sure the patch works. Please email me at kevin@kevlar.net if you do. If you know where it can be purchased, that works too.

Oh, BTW, if you are wondering why many emails to me have gone unanswered in the past, it's probably mostly due to SpamAssassin catching them. I get so much spam and I've set my threshold to 2, which gets almost everything not in my whitelist. I go through the spam folder occasionally, but with hundreds of spam per day, I miss a few. I'm going to setup some sort of challenge/response system in the future I think....


Hahahah uh that just breaks me up. I almost believed it. heheh :D


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:35 am 
Offline
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2001 3:01 am
Posts: 200
ICQ: 110470128
AOL: SSCDelkian
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Krom wrote:
Change that to:
"Thanks for paying for your computer, sorry you can't use it with 95% of the software on the market."
And you will have it just about right.


Not really.

I can't expect some software written for Windows to ever run on my Linux system, and I don't. On the other hand, if there is a native Linux version of a software product (say, an action game), I can really expect it to actually be usable on Linux. I've purchased the product to run under Linux and I should be able to.


Edit:
By the way, was it once said that the copyright to the source code is owned by Matt Toschlog? Has anyone tried contacting him? Hint: toschlog.com


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:10 pm 
Offline
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 1999 3:01 am
Posts: 604
Website: http://rifetech.com/
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Delkian wrote:
Krom wrote:
I can't expect some software written for Windows to ever run on my Linux system, and I don't. On the other hand, if there is a native Linux version of a software product (say, an action game), I can really expect it to actually be usable on Linux. I've purchased the product to run under Linux and I should be able to.


Right. That's why I'm concerned. They did release a native Linux version (through a 3rd party developer, Loki), which I did pay for.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:08 pm 
Offline
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 4378
Location: Corvallis OR, USA
Delkian wrote:
Krom wrote:
Change that to:
"Thanks for paying for your computer, sorry you can't use it with 95% of the software on the market."
And you will have it just about right.


Not really.

I can't expect some software written for Windows to ever run on my Linux system, and I don't.


I think he ment Mac's ;)


Delkian wrote:
Edit:
By the way, was it once said that the copyright to the source code is owned by Matt Toschlog? Has anyone tried contacting him? Hint: toschlog.com

Just did. Will post if there're any results..


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:45 pm 
Offline
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2001 3:01 am
Posts: 200
ICQ: 110470128
AOL: SSCDelkian
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Grendel wrote:
I think he ment Mac's ;)


Whatever. The same applies with the exception that I don't have a Mac. Some other people do.

Quote:
Just did. Will post if there're any results..

Thanks!


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:18 pm 
Offline
DBB_Master
DBB_Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 7940
Website: http://4sure.co.nz/d3help
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
I see I am no closer to eating my hat.

Excellent!


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:36 pm 
Offline
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2000 3:01 am
Posts: 8826
Location: Seattle
Mobius: That's cause your head's so far up your ass it's already reached your stomach. ;)


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:10 pm 
Offline
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 4378
Location: Corvallis OR, USA
Grendel wrote:
Delkian wrote:
Edit:
By the way, was it once said that the copyright to the source code is owned by Matt Toschlog? Has anyone tried contacting him? Hint: toschlog.com

Just did. Will post if there're any results..

Nada -- will resend once..


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:43 pm 
Offline
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 4378
Location: Corvallis OR, USA
Matt T. wrote:
I'll talk to Kevin and see if he and I can get it together enough to get this thing finished. Bug me again in a few weeks if you haven't heard back from me.

:D

I'll stay on it, please be patient. Maybe, just maybe, there's light at the end of the tunnel.. :)


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:34 pm 
Offline
DBB Master
DBB Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2001 3:01 am
Posts: 9205
WLM: biffski@yahoo.com
Location: Beaverton, Oregon USA
....Matt T. ... as in THE Matt T. ????? o_0


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:45 pm 
Offline
DBB_Master
DBB_Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 9485
Location: Capital Of Canada
I don't understand why youguys keep bringing up the 1.5 patch? It's never coming out. Geez, it's been what, 4 yrs since they said it was coming? They/He won't release it, they/he don't have time/money to work on it. D3 is dead and buried 6 times over for them. Just look at how many people are playing now, maybe 20 at most online at one time. No one in their right minds would spend time on a patch for that many players for a game that is 6 years old.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:20 pm 
Offline
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 4378
Location: Corvallis OR, USA
Duper wrote:
....Matt T. ... as in THE Matt T. ????? o_0

Yes. Gives it some credibility, doesn't it ? ;)


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:44 pm 
Offline
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:44 am
Posts: 1497
ICQ: 17713745
Website: http://www.radnimax.com
WLM: xamindar@gmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: xamindar
AOL: xamindar
Location: California
CDN_Merlin wrote:
I don't understand why youguys keep bringing up the 1.5 patch? It's never coming out. Geez, it's been what, 4 yrs since they said it was coming? They/He won't release it, they/he don't have time/money to work on it. D3 is dead and buried 6 times over for them. Just look at how many people are playing now, maybe 20 at most online at one time. No one in their right minds would spend time on a patch for that many players for a game that is 6 years old.


waaahhhhhh!!!


But if it does come out, it will help soo much.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:30 pm 
Offline
DBB_Master
DBB_Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 9485
Location: Capital Of Canada
Xamindar wrote:

waaahhhhhh!!!


But if it does come out, it will help soo much.


If??? WTF you smoking. Tell me one game that had a patch promised to be out and hasn't come out in about 4 yrs and still make the light of day. Name me just one.

The 1.5 is dead. Just live with it and go on with your life. If you think Matt or anyone else will waste their time with this, you are mistaken.

If you believe the patch is still coming after 2 yrs of no updates, then I've got beach front property to sell you up in Greenland.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:35 pm 
Offline
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2000 3:01 am
Posts: 8826
Location: Seattle
CDN_Merlin wrote:
Tell me one game that had a patch promised to be out and hasn't come out in about 4 yrs and still make the light of day.


Starcraft.

But all the same, 1.5 is dead. I think Matt Toschlog might want to move on with his life. There is life outside of Descent, even for the president of Parallax. :(


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:51 pm 
Offline
DBB_Master
DBB_Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 9485
Location: Capital Of Canada
Dcrazy, Starcraft is still being played by thousands. not the measly 20 or so for D3. Big diff there and not a good comparison.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:05 am 
Offline
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 4378
Location: Corvallis OR, USA
What's your problem ? No GF ? I agree that w/ that attitude nothing will ever happen.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:06 am 
Offline
DBB Master
DBB Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 7090
Hell, I'm just impressed that you were even able to get a response from Matt T. That, at least, says he hasn't completely forgotten about the Descent community.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:23 am 
Offline
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:26 pm
Posts: 309
AOL: Stick+96SL
Location: 'Nawlins
Grendel wrote:
Matt T. wrote:
I'll talk to Kevin and see if he and I can get it together enough to get this thing finished. Bug me again in a few weeks if you haven't heard back from me.

:D

I'll stay on it, please be patient. Maybe, just maybe, there's light at the end of the tunnel.. :)


I have to say, that looks very promising. Just the fact that he admitted to wanting to finish it is something... I'll take that.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:09 am 
Offline
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:44 am
Posts: 1497
ICQ: 17713745
Website: http://www.radnimax.com
WLM: xamindar@gmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: xamindar
AOL: xamindar
Location: California
CDN_Merlin wrote:
If you believe the patch is still coming after 2 yrs of no updates, then I've got beach front property to sell you up in Greenland.


I'll take it! :P

Seriously, I understand ya Merlin. I'm not holding my breath. I keep on playing D3 with the silly work-arounds until one day it will not be playable at all. Then I will just set up some anciant computers to play it on. There is always a way. I will teach my children the ways of Descent, I will raise them right!


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:13 pm 
Offline
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2000 3:01 am
Posts: 8826
Location: Seattle
Merlin, you asked for an example. I gave you one. You can't turn around and say "but it's not D3 so the comparison is invalid!". But it's inconsequential since my reply was completely in jest, because I understand that complete unlikeliness of the 1.5 patch coming out.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:07 pm 
Offline
DBB_Master
DBB_Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 9485
Location: Capital Of Canada
Dcrazy, I aksed for an example that was like D3, where the game has been out about 6 years, has 20 so players, and has had a patch prmoised for the last 4 yrs. You didn't give me one.

I don't want Descent to die either but people need to wake up and realize that the 1.5 patch will never come out from the original source.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:51 am 
Offline
DBB Master
DBB Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2000 3:01 am
Posts: 5104
ICQ: 51510744
Website: http://www.clanmob.net
WLM: topwop99@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: aurora_boreas
AOL: IronHorse227
Location: Far from you.
No, people need to wake up and realize there are games other than Descent3. Also that there is an outside and they should go there more.

Give him a break, the man has a family, he wants to work hard on a job that actually pays and not screw around on a damned game thats been dead longer than Enterprise has been on air. Stop being selfish people.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:23 am 
Offline
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 5:15 pm
Posts: 382
Top Wop wrote:
No, people need to wake up and realize there are games other than Descent3. Also that there is an outside and they should go there more.

Give him a break, the man has a family, he wants to work hard on a job that actually pays and not screw around on a damned game thats been dead longer than Enterprise has been on air. Stop being selfish people.


<vox_futurus>In that case, lets just shut down DBB and PlanetDescent for good, and expunge #Descent3 from Gamesurge, Hmmmmm?</vox_futurus>

I agree that we shouldnt pester the guy but as long as there are game fans, it will live on.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:48 pm 
Offline
DBB Defender
DBB Defender
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 30, 1999 3:01 am
Posts: 3222
ICQ: 15517678
Website: http://www.suncho.com
WLM: xenerxythis@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: Spunchorb
AOL: Suncho
Location: Richmond, VT
Descent 3 pwns you. Also that new win32 d2x is pretty sweet. =)


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:33 am 
Offline
DBB Master
DBB Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2000 3:01 am
Posts: 5104
ICQ: 51510744
Website: http://www.clanmob.net
WLM: topwop99@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: aurora_boreas
AOL: IronHorse227
Location: Far from you.
The point im trying to make is that its just a game and there are some people out there who cant seem to let go.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:01 am 
Offline
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 1998 3:01 am
Posts: 14328
while there are other games out there Topwop, most of them just suck.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:32 pm 
Offline
DBB Defender
DBB Defender
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 30, 1999 3:01 am
Posts: 3222
ICQ: 15517678
Website: http://www.suncho.com
WLM: xenerxythis@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: Spunchorb
AOL: Suncho
Location: Richmond, VT
JUST a game? Don't make me slap you.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:14 am 
Offline
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 13452
Location: Olathe, KS
Ferno wrote:
while there are other games out there Topwop, most of them just suck.


Which is why the last time I bought a PC game from a store was when Freespace2 came out. I've yet to run across a game that was actually decent.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:18 pm 
Offline
DBB Master
DBB Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 7090
Same thing here, MD. The only games I've bought more recent than D3/FS2 are the Myst series and a few PS2/GBA games. D2 and D3 are the only games I play multiplayer, and Descent/Freespace are pretty much all I play on the PC, period. I can't stand the whole FPS genre, I'm not a huge fan of RTSes, and I've never played an RPG. I'm not what you'd call a mass-market gamer. If it's not a platformer or Descent/Freespace, I'm probably not going to be playing it. :P


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:07 pm 
Offline
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 5:15 pm
Posts: 382
Personally I like the 6DOF acronym that the Core Decision folks are pushing.

If the big name gaming co's would come out with another true 6DOF then I would be very likely to check it out.

Of course the words snowball and hell spring to mind. :evil:


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 220 posts ]  1 2 3 4 5 6

All times are UTC-06:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



Descent'rs have piloted these pages
 
The layout and contents contained within this site are © DescentBB.net 1997-2006.
Descent, Descent II are © Parallax Software Corporation.
Descent III is Outrage Entertainment.
Descent is a Trademark of Interplay Productions.

Miner Wars™ is trademark of Keen Software House s. r. o.
.


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group