D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Tankie2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tankie2 »

3803 wrote: They tend to be a lot more advanced, thus vague and undocumented. nature to be more The situation could be improved if someone was willing to write documentation but it probably is d2x and most other gameports (doomsday for the doom engine for example) advanced/harder to understand.

Plus the documentation should be kept up to date, which is not an easy task as well.
Diedle is apparently doing very well at keeping the documentation current. -and I do not think D2X-WIN is inherently all that hard to understand. It's just that, apparently, some of the finer aspects of using it must be hard to explain to lay people. -That's why you need a manual, not just documentation. Manuals are authored, not documented. Oh well. I'll keep slugging it out. If Kali ever gets back online I'll start playing D2X-win exclusively for a while and find someone to give me some walk-throughs. Then I'll try writing some player tips myself to give out.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Tankie2 wrote: Also, in your (ahem) 'manual', you say: "...players can switch teams by pressing Alt+Strg+T,..". I have checked very carfully serveral times and none of my keyboards seem to have a 'Strg' key. I'm gussinng maybe it's the control 'Ctrl' key, or is it the 'Shift' key? :P
ROFL - yeah, I am using a German keyboard, where "Steuerung" is the rough equivalent of "Control", so the key is labelled "Strg". It's too funny that I am so used to it now that I am starting to give ppl the German abbrev. instead of the English one. I did the other way round a long time, when I should have used the German one.

Tankie,

you can ask about D2X-W32 features you don't understand, and I will answer them here.

You don't need KALI to play online with D2X-W32. Find some friends who use D2X-W32 too and start/join UDP games via tracker. There you go.

To see all the new D2X-W32 features in action, download my levels Speed! and Glass House from my Descent Site.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Im now getting that same black screen for all versions when light maps are turned on. Is there anyway I can set the configuration back to a base to try and clear this problem? Would I have to reinstall the game?
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Im now getting that same black screen for all versions when light maps are turned on. Is there anyway I can set the configuration back to a base to try and clear this problem? Would I have to reinstall the game?
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Edit: GDI DBB is being a slow pain in the a$$. Sorry for submitting this twice.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I won't touch/fix lightmapping until Lehm has his new code ready.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by 3803 »

Tankie2 wrote: Diedle is apparently doing very well at keeping the documentation current. -and I do not think D2X-WIN is inherently all that hard to understand. It's just that, apparently, some of the finer aspects of using it must be hard to explain to lay people. -That's why you need a manual, not just documentation. Manuals are authored, not documented.
It's a good thing that each update is posted in the other thread if that's what you mean by documentation. The Brockart site gives a nice overview of d2x-w32 features but it not allways up to date (and i don't care about that, update log is what matters to me)

But i agree that it is not very clear which settings effect the whole game, only single, only multi...either a manual or a better self-explaining menu structure could solve this.

The next step would be that menuitems explain themselves, I've seen it in other games/source ports.

Just an idea though.

As for now, people on this board won't mind asking questions about d2x.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Menu items explain themselves? How would you do that? Making the items longer probably would get in the way more than anything else - would be better to write a manual. Using something like tool-tips would require very substantial alterations to the UI...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

if you look at the game, and look at the options for more than 3 seconds, you will certainly be able to figure out yourself what they mean and do.

It's just that you don't know the options, so ofc their meaning will not be instantaneously clear to you like with those you know already.

I think it's not asked to much that ppl use their brains at least a little bit when looking at the D2X-W32 options though.

Now, if after having done that there is still an option that is not clear to you, name it clearly here, and I will explain it further.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

BUG THREAD = BUG THREAD

I do not see in the title of this thread

Beotch here thread
rant about nothing thread

Please people stay on topic...

If you are new to this Thread...Read it from the begining before you post, and only reply with a the reproducable BUG not personal opinions.

:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

This is a discussion thread for D2X-W32, and I think the manual discussion has found it's proper place here, too. :)
Jewbilee
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Jewbilee »

One thing I would like to see is the ability to use an Xbox controller as a joystick. Weve got the driver for it so it is possible, but making it so one joystick makes your look and the other makes your slide isnt, the right joystick is not being recognized as an axis by descent if you could look into this, I would appreciate it
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Bubba, apparently the word Suggestions doesn't mean anything to you? Seems like you're the one "beotching" for no reason.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Jewbilee,

there had been another request to make joypads work with D2X-W32, and I couldn't (don't even own one). So forget it. ;)
_________

Re black screen with lightmaps: Lightmap calculation can take several minutes, so be patient when loading a level with lightmapping enabled. If you can however see the reticle (and maybe some objects) but not the rest of the level, then something is definitely wrong.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Sounds like an SDL issue, which would mean you'll just have to wait until they fix the problem...
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I'm using a Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Power gamepad, and I have no trouble getting the second stick's axes to recognize as sliding axes.
zapp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zapp »

There's one option that I have not been able to figure out.. "Wiggle ship"? Does it make you harder to hit or something? :D
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Normally the ship bobs up and down.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Speaking of wiggly ships, I just noticed something new and interesting in 1.4.31.

When playing SP in level 2, I came up to my first phoenix gun bot. (you know, the light orange ones?)

But under 1.4.31 they seemed to morph and wiggle as if they were jellyfish.

Other bots seemed to be fine.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel wrote:DROOOOOL!

Having replacement textures in a D2 sub folder and being accessed by their names would be very easy to be done. So if you're willing to create high res textures for D2X-W32, I'd gladly add that.

It would be really nice if you wouldn't just make high res, high color 1:1 replacements of the original textures, but probably provide equivalent, but better ones (many of the rock textures e.g. aren't that great imho).
Just wanted to go back to re-texturing again.
Has anybody seen this thread?
This guy has done some nice work.
NovacroN wrote:I think I have decided to start retexturing the all Descent textures as a side project for myself. Even though it might not get used for anything, it's just something to do at times when I get bored . So expect a whole lot more. Visit http://novacron.cjb.net once and a while to see where I'm going with it.
Would be cool to get these textures to work in D2x-w32! :wink:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

AUS,

you can import true color images up 1024x1024 in size in DLE-XP and use them as custom textures to texture your levels. Alpha channel is supported.

Nos,

there shouldn't be any difference bot-handling wise between 1.4.31 and earlier versions, as I haven't changed any bot handling code.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel wrote:AUS,

you can import true color images up 1024x1024 in size in DLE-XP and use them as custom textures to texture your levels. Alpha channel is supported.
Yes I know that. I just wanted to show NovacroN work. I guess what I should have said was.... If he does or did a lots of re-texturing. His work would be great to get into D2x-w32.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I have contacted Novacron. Though the thread is rather old, maybe he is interested in redoing the D2 textures if he knows they'd actually get used. I would implement the necessary changes in D2X-W32 to override the standard textures with his improved ones. They look awesome.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel,
He's still around. He has posted in the "Into Cerberon" Fourm Thread about his textures.

"Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:43 am"
Novacron wrote:I have a few textures that I have re-created from the original Descent. I don't know if you will be using totally different ideas as far as the texturing goes, but just to let you know that I am here.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Being around is one thing - being willing to really create hi-res D2 textures is another story ... :roll:

I have sent him an e-mail already, asking him whether he'd be interesting in making them and seeing them in D2X-W32.

Man, that would be so cool. The textures he showed are plainly awesome.
Jewbilee
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Jewbilee »

found something interesting..

when facing certain ways, quad lasers apear to only be shooting 3 rather than 4.. have not had the chance to test in multiplayer to see if it does the same ammount as the 4.. just thought id point that out
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Jewbilee wrote:found something interesting..

when facing certain ways, quad lasers apear to only be shooting 3 rather than 4.. have not had the chance to test in multiplayer to see if it does the same ammount as the 4.. just thought id point that out
I saw this one as well at the same time I saw the wiggly bots.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Screenshot pls.

Edit: Fixed.

I was playing around with assembly code recently ... :wink:
Jewbilee
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Jewbilee »

thanx for the quick fix
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Wiggling not fixed yet, but fix is on the way. I will not use a new version number, so wait for me to add that fix to the current update note before (re-) downloading D2X-W32.

Edit: 2nd fix is online now.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Diedel wrote:Wiggling not fixed yet, but fix is on the way. I will not use a new version number, so wait for me to add that fix to the current update note before (re-) downloading D2X-W32.

Edit: 2nd fix is online now.
Thanks very much Diedel. Two more bugs squashed.
zapp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zapp »

Jeff250 wrote:Normally the ship bobs up and down.
And.....?

Yes, the ship has always bobbed, but what does wiggle have to do with bobbing? Does the "wiggle ship" toggle enable/disable bobbing?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

In the descent source code, the ship "bobbing" is called "wiggling", and yes, you can turn the wiggling off - this is mainly intended for screenshots.
Electrode
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Electrode »

Any news regarding Linux support?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Nope. Some ppl big talk - no walk.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Electrode wrote:Any news regarding Linux support?
Dude

http://www.winehq.org/

Learn it. Live it. Love it.
Tankie2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tankie2 »

Diedel wrote:3803,

I think it's not asked to much that ppl use their brains at least a little bit when looking at the D2X-W32 options though.
But I'm just a cheer leader!
Tankie2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tankie2 »

this is probably off topic but..

It would be nice it became customary to suffix the file names with an 'X' or some other designation when using non-standard, (New Standard?) textures in Descent2 missions. I've been trying new missions that crash my 3DFX Voodoo4 card and lock up my PC becuase of the textures and it would be nice to be able to avoid putting those missions on that machine. And don't critisize me by telling I'm using outdated technology, D2_3DFX still looks and plays better at 60 FPS and doesn't aggrivate my epilepsy nearly as often as any other Exe I've used. D2X_w32 comes close but it might be better if I get a video card other than the GForce4 128 meg, I usually have to stop and break after about 15 minutes of play. For now the Voodoo4 32 meg in glide is better and smoother and doesn't trip siezures. I can play it for hours with no problems.
Electrode
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Electrode »

Nosferatu wrote:
Electrode wrote:Any news regarding Linux support?
Dude

http://www.winehq.org/

Learn it. Live it. Love it.
That doesn't seem to work. Besides, even if it did, a native build would still be vastly superior.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Tankie2 wrote:this is probably off topic but..

It would be nice it became customary to suffix the file names with an 'X' or some other designation when using non-standard, (New Standard?) textures in Descent2 missions. I've been trying new missions that crash my 3DFX Voodoo4 card and lock up my PC becuase of the textures and it would be nice to be able to avoid putting those missions on that machine. And don't critisize me by telling I'm using outdated technology, D2_3DFX still looks and plays better at 60 FPS and doesn't aggrivate my epilepsy nearly as often as any other Exe I've used. D2X_w32 comes close but it might be better if I get a video card other than the GForce4 128 meg, I usually have to stop and break after about 15 minutes of play. For now the Voodoo4 32 meg in glide is better and smoother and doesn't trip siezures. I can play it for hours with no problems.
If you haven't yet, you should try lowering the framecap of D2x to 60 FPS.

The X suffix is a good idea, and I actually used it on my D2x release earlier. I'll be sure to do so with my upcoming one as well.

Perhaps DLE-XP and D2x should also reflect this via the .mn2 file as well, similar to how Vertigo levels using "zname=" can only be loaded from the Vertigo version.
http://www.descent2.com/ddn/specs/mn2/
Oddly, according to the above page, the "xname=" parameter actually exists, but is unused, and xname levels won't currently appear.