VR goggles support in D3

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

FlawlesS
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

VR goggles support in D3

Post by FlawlesS »

Hi All,

I am about to spend alot of money on VR goggles and am wondering if it will render descent3 into true 3d? ( each eye it's own perspective resulting in actual 3d )
Also if I get head tracking aswell will I be able to look out of the cockpit of my ship while the orientation and momvement of my ship does not change?

If those features are in I am going to get back into descent for real.

Regards,
FlawlesS
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I remember they used to have a version of Descent2 that worked with nVidia's VR goggles, but they simulated 3D by the glasses shuttering back and forth between eyes in sync with the video card. And you had to have the special version of Descent2 that came with the goggles, I think, too.

I've never heard of D3 supporting that kind of hardware, though I've seen flight simulators that could use head tracking to pan the view. I don't think D3 even supports that (no pilot view panning).

What you may want to do for fun to get more "into" the game is make a cockpit to fly in. I've seen quite a bit about them at www.simpits.org and have been mulling over the idea for quite a while.

You have to admit, it'd be pretty kick@ss to fly a Pyro in a full cockpit. Hmm... where'd I put that plywood?
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

It works with shutterglasses but I had major problems with the latest 3d stereo drivers from NVidia.
I don't use it anymore though, never really impressed me a lot. Found myself getting sick and the depth perception wasn't all that great.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

I doubt you will enjoy them:

1) The 3D they provide isn't great.

2) Any 3D game works with the drivers - or should.

3) No - you can't "freelook" in Descent. That's gotta be supported by the program - and D3 doesn't support it.

4) You have to drop your resolution until you're getting a solid 120 FPS, because only alternate frames are seen by each eye. Therefore 120FPS = 60 FPS in fact.
FlawlesS
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

worth it?

Post by FlawlesS »

So basicly VR goggles do work with D3 but the experiance is not that great?

I have a reasonably fast system so could it be possible to get up to 120 FPS?

Do all VR goggles cut FPS to 50% to provide each eye its own perspective?

Even if i get it working at 120 FPS how would the crosshair ( aiming ) be? offset or right on?
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: worth it?

Post by Admiral LSD »

FlawlesS wrote:I have a reasonably fast system so could it be possible to get up to 120 FPS?
D3 should have no trouble getting more than 120fps on most modern video cards. What I think Mobius was getting at was descresing your resolution to one your monitor can display at 120Hz and then enabling vsync in either D3 or your video card options to basically force it into only rendering 120fps. I'd imagine though that, given how critical this is to the operation of the 3D goggles, it'd all be automatic once the video card software was aware of them.
Do all VR goggles cut FPS to 50% to provide each eye its own perspective?
That's the way they work: they display alternate frames between eyes in order to fool the brain into percieving depth in the displayed image. In doing this, it cuts the frame rate in half.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: worth it?

Post by roid »

Admiral LSD wrote:In doing this, it cuts the frame rate* in half.
* (or resolution)
FlawlesS
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

elaborate please?

Post by FlawlesS »

roid, please go a little bit deeper into it?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

well you can either display 2 seperate images at different times - which will cut your frame rate in half.

or you can display a resolution 2X the width and cut that in half. having the left half for the left eye and the right for the right eye.

either way you have to cut something in half to get stereo vision.