warning: volitile subject matter

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Actually 1v1's are usually not open because they are invite on the spur of moment type most of the time, Yet thank you lothar for explaning what punisher was saying as if i didnt understand already.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Wouldn't the 50K tourney be considered an open game? Wasn't that game open to everyone as opposed to a "tourney" where I'm assuming only two teams or two individuals are playing which would make it a closed game.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I think it was more of an elimination type game that ended in a certain anarchy match which found fatal the winner.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

The 50K tourney was an open TOURNAMENT, but each individual GAME was limited to specific individuals. IIRC, you had to sign up and they you were assigned a game to play -- but I could be wrong. I didn't have a rig that could run D3 at the time, so I didn't pay all that much attention.

Definitely, though, the later games in the tourney were not "open" -- once they started eliminating people, the games were limited to those still in the competition.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

The point wasnt about the 50k tournament at all, i had just suggested to birds that if he had considered that game an open game then it couldve been an open game that was competitive, just like many anarchy games i and whoever else thats reading this has experienced.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Ahh, leave it to lothar to write a long version of what I wanted to write but was too lazy to!
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Birdseye wrote:Ahh, leave it to lothar to write a long version of what I wanted to write but was too lazy to!
hehehe, x2.
JazzyJet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by JazzyJet »

lol lothar n birdseye

but anyways....
I've come to realize that if u want action in d3 you gotta make it yourself. Find players that u like to play with and make it happen. I've been having some really fun games with bunyip and spazzy. I've been seein punisher n Psion, behemoth, Zero, III's, n even Vander.
The days of every other server being full in D3 are over. And being able to pick and choose what style level and people u want to play just by clicking.

But the people are out there and the servers are up. So make it happen and communicate a little more and you'll find this game is just as fun as it always was.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

GG's last night Jazzy you bastard.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

JazzyJet wrote:lol lothar n birdseye

but anyways....
I've come to realize that if u want action in d3 you gotta make it yourself. Find players that u like to play with and make it happen. I've been having some really fun games with bunyip and spazzy. I've been seein punisher n Psion, behemoth, Zero, III's, n even Vander.
The days of every other server being full in D3 are over. And being able to pick and choose what style level and people u want to play just by clicking.

But the people are out there and the servers are up. So make it happen and communicate a little more and you'll find this game is just as fun as it always was.
I couldnt agree more jazzy! :D
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Sometimes I wonder how many people are just sitting there watching the server list waiting for something to happen. ;)
max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by max kragen »

...cool...just when I thought my post was slowly mutating into something about 'open and closed games'. I appreciate all the comments and pov's...I still feel the same,however,....and I especially dont feel its within my grasp(being new)to actually put something like that together.
BTW everyone,please, do not include negative comments within the parameters of this post...I am trying to keep this flowing in a positive light so some good may come of it...TY Max :)
max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by max kragen »

Suncho wrote:Sometimes I wonder how many people are just sitting there watching the server list waiting for something to happen. ;)
lol...well alright...my favorite commentator... Hey Suncho!(errrmmm...I was expecting something a lil' more enlightening from u :P).
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Suncho wrote:Sometimes I wonder how many people are just sitting there watching the server list waiting for something to happen. ;)
I just jump into an empty server and fly around waiting for something to happen. :)

...and it usually does!
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

max kragen wrote:
lol...well alright...my favorite commentator... Hey Suncho!(errrmmm...I was expecting something a lil' more enlightening from u :P).
The only people who can reasonably be expected to get games started by cold-joining them are the weaker players. If the first player to join a game is a newb, player #2 might actually feel he has a chance and decide to stay. =)

EDIT: Hi Bunyip. ;)
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

very enlightening. Almost Buddha-like.
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

Suncho wrote:The only people who can reasonably be expected to get games started by cold-joining them are the weaker players. If the first player to join a game is a newb, player #2 might actually feel he has a chance and decide to stay. =)
...which is why i love to join empty servers with my vet handle - VIPER !!!!

:P

edit: although, in truth, most players don't seem to read the BB and there are many who wouldn't know to fear a vet pilot name these days.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Heh, i go into empty servers alot under alias also, because ive noticed more people try to gang up on me under my real handle. :)
max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by max kragen »

Behemoth wrote:Heh, i go into empty servers alot under alias also, because ive noticed more people try to gang up on me under my real handle. :)
lol...thx for today bro...u know what I'm talkin''bout. :)
max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by max kragen »

Palzon wrote:...there are many who wouldn't know to fear a vet pilot name these days.
...this 'fear' u speak of...can u explain? :P
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

max kragen wrote:
Behemoth wrote:Heh, i go into empty servers alot under alias also, because ive noticed more people try to gang up on me under my real handle. :)
lol...thx for today bro...u know what I'm talkin''bout. :)
Heh no prob
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Heh, i go into empty servers alot under alias also, because ive noticed more people try to gang up on me under my real handle.
Wow, I thought I was the only one!
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Birdseye wrote:
Heh, i go into empty servers alot under alias also, because ive noticed more people try to gang up on me under my real handle.
heh heh ive made alot of aliases in my day :)
max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by max kragen »

Behemoth wrote:
Birdseye wrote:
heh heh ive made alot of aliases in my day :)

...what a sad truth to be revealed from this simple conversation...it must have been pretty bad for u both to have gotten the same idea independently of one another...I feel bad now for ganging up on Laria earlier(well,as much as I'm able to'gang-up' on somebody,:wink: ). But, it was still his favor in the end....he's good.
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

punisher wrote:very enlightening. Almost Buddha-like.
Does this mean that we can rub Suncho's belly for good luck at the next LAN?
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

People just like to target the best, mostly. I did, looking back. And, now that I think of it, always having 3-4 pilots on me at once in VV may not have been a coincedence. ;P
max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by max kragen »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:People just like to target the best, mostly. I did, looking back. And, now that I think of it, always having 3-4 pilots on me at once in VV may not have been a coincedence. ;P
...yeh, I usually target the better pilots as well...I just learn faster that way...heheh, prolly cause I die faster :P
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Birdseye wrote:
It was even worse with a ranked pilot. Taking a commodore into a crowded level is like painting your ship neon pink with a neon green bullseye. Using aliases takes some of the pressure off to "perform." Well known aliases can tend to cause pilots to flock towards you with all all guns blazing, or to make a beeline for the exit.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

That's one reason I'm glad for PXO's demise... no more ranks. No more pressure to perform, no more pressure to stat pad, no more dorks in VV CTF who camp in spawn locations so they'll never die so they can boost their rank...

I figure, if you're good enough, people will start ganging up on you no matter the name. On the rare occasion that I join a game where I'm the best pilot, within 10 kills I've got people gunning for me or else running like crazy from me. Doesn't matter what alias I'm flying under, if I'm kicking butt I'll get mobbed.

But I'd imagine it's 10 times worse if you're a true expert -- because you get a lot of pretty decent pilots ganging up on you. If I'm enough better than the others that they gang up on me, they're probably n00bs anyway, and ganging up just means more targets and less hunting...
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Lothar wrote:...you get a lot of pretty decent pilots ganging up on you. ...ganging up just means more targets and less hunting...
And that, my friend, is why they put the Magnum and Trifusion love in the game :)
Phantasmagirl
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Phantasmagirl »

KompresZor wrote:you want to try something different? how about #300 Baud Entropy Duel Arenas, I haven't played that in a long time and it was always fun.
Yeah really. how about some entropy up in this piece. that would make me play d3 for the first time in months and months and months............
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Phantasmagirl wrote:
KompresZor wrote:you want to try something different? how about #300 Baud Entropy Duel Arenas, I haven't played that in a long time and it was always fun.
Yeah really. how about some entropy up in this piece. that would make me play d3 for the first time in months and months and months............
I've wanted to play entropy for quite some time also, just never got around to making any games...
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Behemoth wrote:
Phantasmagirl wrote:
I've wanted to play entropy for quite some time also, just never got around to making any games...
Just one little minor thing.. #300 Baud Entropy Duel Arenas isn't Entropy, it's Duel.
But yeah a Entropy match would be fun :)
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I didnt say i was in the mood for duel now did i? :)
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:

Newbies have always prefered certain levels, due partly to the fact that the better players avoid them...
quoted for truth. they're all hiding in those crappy maps :P
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Palzon wrote:
Sergeant Thorne wrote:

Newbies have always prefered certain levels, due partly to the fact that the better players avoid them...
quoted for truth. they're all hiding in those crappy maps :P
Thats why we drive them out as "Newbie's" :)
phlegm
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

General state of things

Post by phlegm »

The real issue here is not who gets in what mine. Its who isnt in the game. Its hard to have 20 different mines going when you only have 20 players. Thats why my brother and I quit playing, and I didn't move on either, to me there is no substitue for D3. The biggest issue is that until someone puts it back on the store shleves we will never see an new crop of players.

Im not looking for newbs to run up my numbers and I am not sure that I ever graduated out of newbieness myself (is that a word?). I just think without new players to teach the ways of "the Force" this game is doomed.

As to PXO, I hear ya on the ststs, but lets face it if you buy a copy of D3 at a 2nd hand store or garage sale and saw the PXO stuff on the screen, wouldnt you try it and then figure the community to be dead? After all the site is down and I paid all of 2 bucks for the game. PXO was the only thing keeping any new players at all coming in.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

It's true that PXO being down might make it slightly harder for a new player to join, but if someone's even the slightest bit dedicated to trying to play D3 online, a quick Google search will bring up quite a few sites, including PD and the official D3 site, that would let them know that the community is still kicking.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I would say that the lack of an in-game multiplayer tracker immediately discourages 75% of new players looking for online action. Given the attention span issues of most gamers that number may be much higher. As a result, the previously steady flow of newbies has dried up to a mere trickle in the last couple of years. It's a damn shame.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

That may be true, but do we really want a flood of low-attention-span people joining? :P